Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

All things Rugby
User avatar
Derwyn
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Derwyn »

what’s going on here then?
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Derwyn wrote:what’s going on here then?
Fatcat is claiming Covid-19 originated on page 3 of the Sun
User avatar
Lemoentjie
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Lemoentjie »

Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
User avatar
happyhooker
Posts: 23129
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by happyhooker »

bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
Mad
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 61165
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by CM11 »

happyhooker wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
Mad
Every time I see him quoted reinforces how correct my decision was to put him on ignore. Wtf?
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

happyhooker wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
Mad

It always fails. Along the way To failure most often they’re attempts to force the doctrine on the people, in some cases millions die. It isn’t like we haven’t actually seen this time and time again.

It’s quite mad of course to ignore the evidence.
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

CM11 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
Mad
Every time I see him quoted reinforces how correct my decision was to put him on ignore. Wtf?

Yet you rarely miss your chance to signal how superior you are.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20385
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Enzedder »

bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
And yet you are happy to see government handouts to the needy. Guess what that is?
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 31467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

Insane_Homer wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
When asked why arrivals to the UK aren't being screened for #coronavirus, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam says there's a "basic problem" because it could take someone up to 12 hours to fly to the UK but the incubation period for this virus is up to 14 days
eh? Wat?
Which bit is beyond you now ?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... dopted-uk/

:?
Screening you say, when did he say that would start happening? You believed... Shapps and the Torygraph :lol:

But at least they're now going to...
UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month.
Nothing like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.
It's not like shutting the door after the horse had bolted. There will be a second wave of this at some point and this measure will help reduce the affect of that. Though it should ahve been in place first time ideally.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20385
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Enzedder »

eldanielfire wrote:
It's not like shutting the door after the horse had bolted. There will be a second wave of this at some point and this measure will help reduce the affect of that. Though it should ahve been in place first time ideally.
I think that the difference is (like it was here) that most of your expats who are coming back, have probably done so by now.
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Enzedder wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Even as someone who supports socialism (community socialism, the right type), I don't like seeing worldwide there is a backdoor attempt to force illiberal socialism (which is about control) on countries.

All socialism requires force it’s an evil doctrine.
And yet you are happy to see government handouts to the needy. Guess what that is?

A civilised society. I do love though people who spent their whole lives benefiting from capitalism and globalisation deciding they’re morally wonderful because they “believe” they’re really socialists......
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 31467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.
C69
Posts: 40732
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by C69 »

eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.
Our Bank holidays have been cancelled.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 31467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

Bimboc69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.
Our Bank holidays have been cancelled.
Perhaps I should say health workers understandably are not included on that statement.

On another note, why the hell are people defending a massive street party crowd these past few pages? That clearly is not in the spirit of social distancing FFS!
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.

80% of my kids schools teachers have disappeared, we have had 2 general non child specific emails to the children about what they’re up too.

The senior staff at the school have been sending out copies of “twinkle” sheets, though there’s no records or marking being done outside of the home.

The special needs support has been excellent.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 31467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.

80% of my kids schools teachers have disappeared, we have had 2 general non child specific emails to the children about what they’re up too.

The senior staff at the school have been sending out copies of “twinkle” sheets, though there’s no records or marking being done outside of the home.

The special needs support has been excellent.
Obviously my school is better than your kids school. The biggest complaint we have had, from the usual never pleased parents, is teachers aren't on all day for a video link to their darlings to answer any question they have.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17547
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Farva »

I found this quite interesting.

https://ncase.me/covid-19/
User avatar
Openside
Posts: 24568
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Openside »

Frodder wrote:
Openside wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Openside wrote:Oh I was reporting on a statement from the headmistress of Cheltenham ladies college, maybe it hasn’t filtered down to your level yet ;)

It will be a benefit of the doubt year or there will be law suits and de facto exams etc.

Why does everyone on here need to be so insulting it’s pathetic posturing!!
Stop bleating, you were pontificating as usual from a standpoint of ignorance.
Forgive me if I give more weight to a statement from the headmistress of CLC than a PE teacher from the pool :P
Are you able to publish this statement or was it a 1:1 briefing
It was a webinar.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by vh5150 »

6.Jones wrote:
vh5150 wrote:
henry wrote:
vh5150 wrote:The world press need to ask one question, repeatedly, until answered with confidence and fact by virologists. “How did the polybasic furin cleavage site PRRA get into Covid-19”

US and China virologists are ducking for cover.....toes to US investment in the Wuhan lab means there are a lot of dirty hands involved here, including Fauci.

As evidence grows of a manipulated insert in Covid - 19 the real conspiracy theory growing, according to Dr Chris Martensen (Peak Prosperity - an excellent YouTube channel) is
that “some Bat somehow go near some Pangolin, somehow their viruses got mixed up with each other, they somehow managed to swap the best bits with each other - including a polybasic furin cleavage site (which a Pangolin doesn’t even have), and mixed all this up at a time when Bats were hibernating in a natural fashion .. and it all erupted out of Wuhan”
Tell me more.
In a nutshell Covid -19 does not actually show evidence of being a naturally occurring mutation. There is a whole sequence inserted into the virus that other researched Coronaviruses don’t have. ie Covid -19 may well be the result “Gain of function” research. This kind of research - used to investigate pathogenicity is risky ... esp if the virus were to escape in a lab accident.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.
While the world press egregiously fail in their duties, science has bravely waded into the question.
Theories of SARS-CoV-2 origins
It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged
through laboratory manipulation of a
related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As
noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is
optimized for binding to human ACE2 with
an efficient solution different from those
previously predicted7,11. Furthermore, if
genetic manipulation had been performed,
one of the several reverse-genetic systems
available for betacoronaviruses would
probably have been used19. However, the
genetic data irrefutably show that SARSCoV-2 is not derived from any previously
used virus backbone20. Instead, we propose
two scenarios that can plausibly explain
the origin of SARS-CoV-2: (i) natural
selection in an animal host before zoonotic
transfer; and (ii) natural selection in humans
following zoonotic transfer. We also discuss
whether selection during passage could have
given rise to SARS-CoV-2.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591- ... rigin=ppub

The current pseudoscience tango is likely inspired by use of the word 'inserted' in the literature. 'Inserted' in chemistry doesn't imply 'by someone'.
Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
User avatar
Openside
Posts: 24568
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Openside »

Sefton wrote:
Openside wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Openside wrote:Oh I was reporting on a statement from the headmistress of Cheltenham ladies college, maybe it hasn’t filtered down to your level yet ;)

It will be a benefit of the doubt year or there will be law suits and de facto exams etc.

Why does everyone on here need to be so insulting it’s pathetic posturing!!
Stop bleating, you were pontificating as usual from a standpoint of ignorance.
Forgive me if I give more weight to a statement from the headmistress of CLC than a PE teacher from the pool :P
It’s not my statement, you semi-literate duffer, it has been published by Ofqual.
:lol: :lol:
Yer Man
Posts: 21051
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Yer Man »

Farva wrote:I found this quite interesting.

https://ncase.me/covid-19/
So, the short version is either we're looking at a series of lock-downs and re-opens or we all have to wear face-masks in public until maybe 2022.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20385
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Enzedder »

Bimboc69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.
Our Bank holidays have been cancelled.

But you'll get a day in lieu, right?
User avatar
Calculus
Posts: 3830
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Calculus »

bimboman wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.

80% of my kids schools teachers have disappeared, we have had 2 general non child specific emails to the children about what they’re up too.

The senior staff at the school have been sending out copies of “twinkle” sheets, though there’s no records or marking being done outside of the home.

The special needs support has been excellent.
That sounds like a terrible school, you should send them to a better one.
bimboman
Posts: 68709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by bimboman »

Calculus wrote:
bimboman wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
crapbackrow wrote:genuinely staggered by the teachers' unions:

'extend our paid holiday until september'
In many schools staff have been working every day. Either looking after children of keyworkers, following up on vulnerable pupils, creating and delivering lessons that can be done at home on on a video app to communicate with pupils about work.

Likewise, I don't see other public service industries who are having their holidays removed.

80% of my kids schools teachers have disappeared, we have had 2 general non child specific emails to the children about what they’re up too.

The senior staff at the school have been sending out copies of “twinkle” sheets, though there’s no records or marking being done outside of the home.

The special needs support has been excellent.
That sounds like a terrible school, you should send them to a better one.

It’s the best primary school for a 10 mile radius of where I live. This recent issue has exposed something we didn’t know before (my kids are years 4 and 6). In all seriousness the same 1/2 dozen teachers are the ones in and working etc. Thinking back that’s sort of always been the case.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 17547
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Farva »

Yer Man wrote:
Farva wrote:I found this quite interesting.

https://ncase.me/covid-19/
So, the short version is either we're looking at a series of lock-downs and re-opens or we all have to wear face-masks in public until maybe 2022.
No.
Track and trace works and it’s not too late.
User avatar
Raggs
Posts: 18569
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Raggs »

vh5150 wrote:Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
You see, usually, when this sort of thing happens, the scientists haven't mentioned it, because it's not in fact a smoking gun of massive importance, but rather something that can occur naturally, and is not too surprising.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by vh5150 »

Raggs wrote:
vh5150 wrote:Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
You see, usually, when this sort of thing happens, the scientists haven't mentioned it, because it's not in fact a smoking gun of massive importance, but rather something that can occur naturally, and is not too surprising.
The article basically suggests that because “their” computers and models couldn’t have predicted the sequence seen and how good a sequence is it can’t have been human derived because the computers wouldn’t have predicted it and therefore it never would have been Tried. The authors of this article just choose not to talk about other methods eg sequence insertion, gain of function experimentation.
There are other ways of monkeying with genes other than computational modelling. The Wuhan Institute (with funding from US NIH have been doing it for years). The scientists involved in this experimentation have all been on a public relations spree to explain Covid-19 is 100% naturally and couldn’t possibly have come from a lab. Their explanations thus far are not particularly convincing. The article is poor logic at best. Surprised it made it to publication ... conflicted peer review ?
User avatar
fishfoodie
Posts: 5797
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by fishfoodie »

vh5150 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
vh5150 wrote:Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
You see, usually, when this sort of thing happens, the scientists haven't mentioned it, because it's not in fact a smoking gun of massive importance, but rather something that can occur naturally, and is not too surprising.
The article basically suggests that because “their” computers and models couldn’t have predicted the sequence seen and how good a sequence is it can’t have been human derived because the computers wouldn’t have predicted it and therefore it never would have been Tried. The authors of this article just choose not to talk about other methods eg sequence insertion, gain of function experimentation.
There are other ways of monkeying with genes other than computational modelling. The Wuhan Institute (with funding from US NIH have been doing it for years). The scientists involved in this experimentation have all been on a public relations spree to explain Covid-19 is 100% naturally and couldn’t possibly have come from a lab. Their explanations thus far are not particularly convincing. The article is poor logic at best. Surprised it made it to publication ... conflicted peer review ?
and what expertise do you bring that allows you to critique Nature's experts ?
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by vh5150 »

fishfoodie wrote:
vh5150 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
vh5150 wrote:Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
You see, usually, when this sort of thing happens, the scientists haven't mentioned it, because it's not in fact a smoking gun of massive importance, but rather something that can occur naturally, and is not too surprising.
The article basically suggests that because “their” computers and models couldn’t have predicted the sequence seen and how good a sequence is it can’t have been human derived because the computers wouldn’t have predicted it and therefore it never would have been Tried. The authors of this article just choose not to talk about other methods eg sequence insertion, gain of function experimentation.
There are other ways of monkeying with genes other than computational modelling. The Wuhan Institute (with funding from US NIH have been doing it for years). The scientists involved in this experimentation have all been on a public relations spree to explain Covid-19 is 100% naturally and couldn’t possibly have come from a lab. Their explanations thus far are not particularly convincing. The article is poor logic at best. Surprised it made it to publication ... conflicted peer review ?
and what expertise do you bring that allows you to critique Nature's experts ?
... none. But I like to read and hear other experts views. I quite the fan of up/down analysis vs left/right. Well researched and measured views deserve attention in these strange times.
User avatar
fishfoodie
Posts: 5797
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by fishfoodie »

vh5150 wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
vh5150 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
vh5150 wrote:Ahh yes the Nature article that has raised eyebrows and been systematically shredded apart as not being particularly scientific in addressing “unknowns”. The authors, some of whom are world leading virologists experts, briefly note the importance of the furin site, even displaying a table of SARS COV II with its immediate relatives that don’t have this at all .... but can’t or won’t address the “HOW” or WHY” ... knowing that these types of inserts have been played around with in labs for decades. The existence of the PRRA site is a smoking gun, the lab capability to insert these clearly exists and the authors have papered over its discovery in SARS COV II with “weezel” words like “probably” “unlikey” “maybe”. By Natures standards this is a poor article and surprised it was published.
You see, usually, when this sort of thing happens, the scientists haven't mentioned it, because it's not in fact a smoking gun of massive importance, but rather something that can occur naturally, and is not too surprising.
The article basically suggests that because “their” computers and models couldn’t have predicted the sequence seen and how good a sequence is it can’t have been human derived because the computers wouldn’t have predicted it and therefore it never would have been Tried. The authors of this article just choose not to talk about other methods eg sequence insertion, gain of function experimentation.
There are other ways of monkeying with genes other than computational modelling. The Wuhan Institute (with funding from US NIH have been doing it for years). The scientists involved in this experimentation have all been on a public relations spree to explain Covid-19 is 100% naturally and couldn’t possibly have come from a lab. Their explanations thus far are not particularly convincing. The article is poor logic at best. Surprised it made it to publication ... conflicted peer review ?
and what expertise do you bring that allows you to critique Nature's experts ?
... none....
So you just spread conspiracy theories.

Are you an anti-vaxer too ?
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: This is a bit like declaring the winner of the Melbourne Cup at the first furlong. There is an awful long way to go in this thing. If this virus behaves the same globally and the actual IFR is 0.37 then it is just a matter of infections before the playing field is level. Australia and New Zealand have a long long way to go.

Also, Sweden may have hit 20% of the population infected. While it is not the magical herd immunity, it does have an impact and slow the spread. The UK may have way more infected than what they thought, and easing restricitons may not result in catastrophe. Other countries that have put the brakes on early may have had a lot less infections and will have to move forward very differently...

PRediction is foolish with this thing, retrospection will be a far more sensible position.
Sweden were hoping to have got 25% of the Stockholm population infected by the end of April but it was only 7.3%. How they are hoping it's 20%. Obviously until they actually check they can say may have and you can cling to that.
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by vh5150 »

So you just spread conspiracy theories.

Are you an anti-vaxer too ?
Not sure how this is a conspiracy theory. I’m not associating the origins of Covid -19 with whether it was a biological weapon deliberately released. Just that there is growing evidence of Covid -19 possibly being a standard gain of function experiment that went wrong and was released by accident. The evidence is pointing less and less to a mutation and more towards an inserted sequence that close virus relatives simply don’t have. Don’t be so eager to rule out other info as a conspiracy theory ... that is often a symptom of intellectually bankrupt.

... I’m also a qualified vaccinator and essential worker who has been at the coal face and administered 100s of flu jabs over the past 6 weeks.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 16417
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Gavin Duffy »

vh5150 wrote:
So you just spread conspiracy theories.

Are you an anti-vaxer too ?
Not sure how this is a conspiracy theory. I’m not associating the origins of Covid -19 with whether it was a biological weapon deliberately released. Just that there is growing evidence of Covid -19 possibly being a standard gain of function experiment that went wrong and was released by accident. The evidence is pointing less and less to a mutation and more towards an inserted sequence that close virus relatives simply don’t have. Don’t be so eager to rule out other info as a conspiracy theory ... that is often a symptom of intellectually bankrupt.

... I’m also a qualified vaccinator and essential worker who has been at the coal face and administered 100s of flu jabs over the past 6 weeks.
So you're a nurse?
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by vh5150 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
vh5150 wrote:
So you just spread conspiracy theories.

Are you an anti-vaxer too ?
Not sure how this is a conspiracy theory. I’m not associating the origins of Covid -19 with whether it was a biological weapon deliberately released. Just that there is growing evidence of Covid -19 possibly being a standard gain of function experiment that went wrong and was released by accident. The evidence is pointing less and less to a mutation and more towards an inserted sequence that close virus relatives simply don’t have. Don’t be so eager to rule out other info as a conspiracy theory ... that is often a symptom of intellectually bankrupt.

... I’m also a qualified vaccinator and essential worker who has been at the coal face and administered 100s of flu jabs over the past 6 weeks.
So you're a nurse?
Pharmacist
ovalball
Posts: 12647
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by ovalball »

Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times

Wash your hands as soon as you get home

Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.
Not sure where the 'conger' fits into these well publicised Government Guidelines
User avatar
kiwinoz
Posts: 6917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by kiwinoz »

someone wants to fish: show
Image
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by MungoMan »

ovalball wrote:
Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times

Wash your hands as soon as you get home

Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.
Not sure where the 'conger' fits into these well publicised Government Guidelines
You’ll have to wait for the UK / EU fisheries agreement.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 30473
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Ali's Choice »

Really surprised to hear that the UK are only just bringing in a 14 day mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. Surely the horse has well and truly bolted by now?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52594023

Australia did this over a month ago, and arrivals weren't able to self isolate at home, they were forced to quarantine in vacant hotels under supervision of the Australian Defense Force. This measure was arguably one of the most important steps taken in Australia, as almost 8% of arrivals were found to be infected with COVID-19. I just assumed that somewhere like the UK would have done this ages ago.

Also I see that arrivals from the ROI will be exempt from quarantine, which seems odd to me given that the death rate in Ireland per million people is higher than the USA.
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5898
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: Coronavirus Thread. Virus v humans

Post by Slim 293 »

There's currently a small group of combined anti-lockdown/anti-5G protesters on the steps of Victorian government...

It's amazing how all these semi-literate sad loners have gained access to the secret documents that expose how the virus was a construct of the US and Chinese in conjunction with the UN and the freemason media...

Meanwhile, they're shouting "Arrest Bill Gates!"

:lol:
Spoiler: show
Image
Post Reply