Post by lexpat »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:This thread continues here

https://www.notplanetrugby.com/
BUMP

https://notplanetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176
DonBillydeParis

Re: Le top XIV la Pro D2 les Fédérales.Le retour façon mir l

Post by DonBillydeParis »

Guys, I've not been here for a month or two ... or three ... What has happened? Why is there this invite to follow on NPR?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DonBillydeParis wrote:Guys, I've not been here for a month or two ... or three ... What has happened? Why is there this invite to follow on NPR?
I understand that for a while, PR was planning to shut the forum down. I also understand that they have changed their plans now and that the forum will survive.
rustycruiser

Post by rustycruiser »

TheFrog wrote:Impressive. You haven't yet gone through the street I live in, but passed close. A lot of work to so still!

How do I recognize you if I bump into a runner?
Have I come close to your house yet? First pic is from April. Second is from tonight showing my progress in July (we wet back to work at end of June).
Spoiler: show
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

rustycruiser wrote:
TheFrog wrote:Impressive. You haven't yet gone through the street I live in, but passed close. A lot of work to so still!

How do I recognize you if I bump into a runner?
Have I come close to your house yet? First pic is from April. Second is from tonight showing my progress in July (we wet back to work at end of June).
Very close now. You could have seen it, but didn't quite yet passed in front of it.
DonBillydeParis

Re: Le top XIV la Pro D2 les Fédérales.Le retour façon mir laine

Where are you guys? Top14 eventually resumed and no post here. Is the thread dead? I saw that on NPR there's nothing happening either... Has Covid-19 put an end to the French cabal on PR?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Salut DonBilly,

Hope you're good. These times are f**ked, can't wait for the end of this crisis which now seems to be going toward end of 2021...

Anyway, as a Clermont fan, I feel the team is much like here. No enthousiam, no hunger for the game and as a result, they are stuttering their rugby. Quite disappointing. Since I am in the US and have ESPN, I watch a bit of super rugby now.
DonBillydeParis

Hi The Frog, I hope you're doing well in the US, it must be quite interesting to observe how the American society's going through this pandemic while there's this clown at the White House fighting to be reelected. In which area are you?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DonBillydeParis wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 am Hi The Frog, I hope you're doing well in the US, it must be quite interesting to observe how the American society's going through this pandemic while there's this clown at the White House fighting to be reelected. In which area are you?
Hi DonBilly, I live near Washington. The place I live in is basically a bubble in America. Well off people, World Bank, IMF staff, Medical Doctors at the NIH, embassy staff. It is very international and open. Plenty of Biden's signs out on the lawns.

However, I only need to drive a few kilometers outside to find another world, where Trump's signs become the norm and where people are very different. Actually, as I could not go back to France during the summer (with the visa I have, I am fine to stay and work in the US, but if I leave the country, I won't be allowed back in), I have travelled a bit inside the USA and I really understand now the difference between Washington and the rest of America. I understand actually how much variety there is in this country, and how much people are attached to their "Freedom" and independance from the Federal State. The COVID crisis actually showed that each State has full authority to deal with these policies as it sees fit. It is really like different countries within a country.

The one thing though that worries me, but is not only an issue in the USA, is how polarized the society is and how much democracy is at risk here.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

So Laporte in trouble now...
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

At last
La soule

Post by La soule »

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2 ... tory.shtml

Nasty case of racism in Pro D2 over the weeked. Basically Ludovic Radosavljevic (ASM players for a decade, now playing for Provence Rugby) told Christian Ambadiang(playing for Nevers): " I am going to burn you, banana eater"

Waiting for the sanction now and I hope they throw the kitchen sink at him.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

La soule wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:54 pm https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2 ... tory.shtml

Nasty case of racism in Pro D2 over the weeked. Basically Ludovic Radosavljevic (ASM players for a decade, now playing for Provence Rugby) told Christian Ambadiang(playing for Nevers): " I am going to burn you, banana eater"

Waiting for the sanction now and I hope they throw the kitchen sink at him.
Very sad. There are some real idiots in the game...
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Thank you for resurrecting this thread! :thumbup:

Strong start for Toulouse already. They seem head and shoulders above the rest. La Rochelle will develop complexes at this rate!

Mediocre start for Clermont again, unable to go the full length of the game despite a strong beginning to their game. They will struggle to make top 6 if they don't improve.

Delighted for Biarritz and Brive. And curious to see if Racing will challenge Toulouse.
La soule

Post by La soule »

LAR and UBB had a slow start. Both teams did not perform well and this is indeed a good result for ST.

BO deserves their win 100%. Stade Français were not great (again) and It will be an uphill battle for them to qualify.

Racing are strong, very strong. They will eventually ft their mix right and will be hard to beat. Stable team with the addition of Pesanti who is exactly the type of players they needed.

Toulon & Montpol have impressive squads, very impressive and will challenge once they'll have everyone back and fit to play.

The battle for the Top 6 will be fascinating.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I thought La Rochelle started strongly and the Skelton red card plus Plisson's lack of reliability in front of the posts cost them dear. La Rochelle desperately need a world class kicker if they want to win anything.

Wonder what Franch Fan thought of N'Tamack?...
panamax

Post by panamax »

Hey everyone, so this place is still alive it seems ?
panamax

Post by panamax »

Looks like we are back to a long period of toulousains hegemony by the looks of the 1st games
La soule

Post by La soule »

panamax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:48 pm Looks like we are back to a long period of toulousains hegemony by the looks of the 1st games
They will be tough to beat indeed and they have more youngsters coming through and Kaino responsible for the Espoirs which is pretty great for them.

Saying that, the overall level of the teams is much higher than what we have seen in the previous decade.

And the proportion of french players is definitely much, much higher as well.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

If Clermont are not going to win (likely), then I prefer Toulouse to rule over Racing doing the same.

The FFR policy to support youth development is bearing its fruits, and that is a great thing to see. When I read Midol reports now, there are more and more names of young France eligible players performing and demonstrating potential for higher levels. :thumbup:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

And Toulouse win again. With Ntamack full of class and a deadly counterattacking power.
La soule

Post by La soule »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:39 am And Toulouse win again. With Ntamack full of class and a deadly counterattacking power.
Yes, Toulon took a hammering. They are missing quite a few players though and are a much better team then what they showed yesterday.

LAR are in trouble I feel. O'Gara is not doing a great job I feel.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

La Rochelle just played the two best teams in France, including one away. They shortened the pre-season and are starting slowly. They were not ridiculous against Toulouse and a red card changed the momentum of the game. I am not worried for them longer term.

I am very concerned for Clermont though.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:01 pm La Rochelle just played the two best teams in France, including one away. They shortened the pre-season and are starting slowly. They were not ridiculous against Toulouse and a red card changed the momentum of the game. I am not worried for them longer term.

Let's hope Gibbes can work miracles where Azema failed...
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

clementinfrance wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:53 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:01 pm La Rochelle just played the two best teams in France, including one away. They shortened the pre-season and are starting slowly. They were not ridiculous against Toulouse and a red card changed the momentum of the game. I am not worried for them longer term.

Let's hope Gibbes can work miracles where Azema failed...
Clermont's inability to stay focused for 80min and play at the same level and on the same tempo through a match is a continued trend from last season. The defense is weak too...
La soule

Post by La soule »

I have yet to see ASM playing this year so cannot comment. Losing to Castres @ home is not a great result indeed.

LAR have a problem at FH. They might as well play Popelin there.They were the second best team in France last year and should have got more points from those first 2 games. I enjoy watching them and hope they will do well but I am not convince that having O'Gara solely in charge is the right thing to do.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

La soule wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:36 pm

I have yet to see ASM playing this year so cannot comment. Losing to Castres @ home is not a great result indeed.

LAR have a problem at FH. They might as well play Popelin there.They were the second best team in France last year and should have got more points from those first 2 games. I enjoy watching them and hope they will do well but I am not convince that having O'Gara solely in charge is the right thing to do.
What La Rochelle really need is a higher standard goal kicker. Strange that O'Gara did not seek someone for this season.
La soule

Post by La soule »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:56 pm

What La Rochelle really need is a higher standard goal kicker. Strange that O'Gara did not seek someone for this season.
Plisson & West are really disappointing this year. Popelin used to kick for Vannes if I remember well so should be given a chance.

Prediction time. Who do you put in your top6 for the knockout stages, in no particular order?

I go with:

ST
Racing
UBB
LAR
Montpellier
Toulon

Lyon could squeeze through.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

La soule wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:31 am
TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Plisson & West are really disappointing this year. Popelin used to kick for Vannes if I remember well so should be given a chance.

Prediction time. Who do you put in your top6 for the knockout stages, in no particular order?

I go with:

ST
Racing
UBB
LAR
Montpellier
Toulon

Lyon could squeeze through.
I think your prediction is pretty good. I'd put LAR above UBB. For the last 2 spots, it will be a tight competition between Toulon, Montpellier, Castres, Lyon and Clermont in that order IMHO. I don't think Pau can hope for a top 6.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

lexpat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 pm
Torquemada 1420 wrote:This thread continues here

https://www.notplanetrugby.com/
BUMP

https://notplanetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176
Is this forum dead?
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Thought this was illuminating, Top 14 budgets by team:

Club 2021-2022 Budget Evolution in a year
Stade Français 39,1 M€ +0,3 M€
Stade Toulousain 37,3 M€ +0,7 M€
Lyon LOU 36 M€ +3,1 M€
Toulon 32 M€ -0,5 M€
Clermont 31,2 M€ +2,3 M€
Racing 92 29,1 M€ +0,2 M€
Montpellier 28,6 M€ -0,5 M€
La Rochelle 27,9 M€ +2 M€
Union Bordeaux-Bègles 26,2 M€ +0,9 M€
Castres Olympiques 22,8 M€ -0,2 M€
Section Paloise 22,6 M€ +0,1 M€
CA Brive 17,6 M€ +2,1 M€
USA Perpignan 17,4 M€ Promoted
Biarritz Olympique 12,8 M€ Promoted
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

I wonder whether those budget figures include just the main squad, or would it also include the academy players, and/or the managers / coaches too.

Taking a guess, at 39MM Euro, Stade Francais has a squad of 35; just over 1MM Euro per main squad player seems to me to be an awful lot / too high.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Morgan14 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:43 pm I wonder whether those budget figures include just the main squad, or would it also include the academy players, and/or the managers / coaches too.

Taking a guess, at 39MM Euro, Stade Francais has a squad of 35; just over 1MM Euro per main squad player seems to me to be an awful lot / too high.
It would take into account all expenses, including the management of the infrastructure (stadium etc...)
La soule

Post by La soule »

Ludovic Radosavljevic suspended for 26 weeks for racism. Top end of the scale is 51 weeks for this offence which means he will still play this year.

Looking at what he said, he is getting off lightly on this one.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

La soule wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:45 am
Morgan14 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:43 pm I wonder whether those budget figures include just the main squad, or would it also include the academy players, and/or the managers / coaches too.

It would take into account all expenses, including the management of the infrastructure (stadium etc...)
Yes, and owning a stadium will inflate that budget though the money is diverted into maintaining the building etc... players wage budget is entirely different.

Having said that, surprised to see Racing so low but I guess they don't own the Arena. Whether Toulouse owns Sept Deniers.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

So Toulouse and Castres are the only unbeaten teams in the Top14 after 3 games.

Clermont won the death match against La Rochelle but have a difficult trip to Toulouse.

Stade Français sinking lower....

Montpellier showing promises despite the mixed results.

Brive and Biarritz showing they are going to be tough nuts to crack at home.

It's getting interesting.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Another strong game for Toulouse. They know how to convert their opportunities into points. That's 2 victories away to LAR and Montpol which is pretty cool.

I felt ASM had a decent game enough but there is something really missing in that LAR mix.

Stade Français are in trouble. It is pretty poor across the board.

Fantastic results for Biarritz. They are showing a lot of heart and the battle at the bottom of the league will be pretty intense!!!

Did you guys see the tackle the tackle from the SAFA Pieterse on Lucu? Absolutely bonkers. 10cm higher and the outcome could have been terrible. Hope he gets a very, very long ban.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I will not be very politically correct here but I thought that Pieterse's tackle was more spectacular than dangerous.

Red was deserved and there will be a ban (late, shoulder charge on a man up in the air - though not as a result of jumping to field the ball but after having kicked it away) but I doubt the ban will be more than 3 weeks. May be 5 to appease the crowds.
La soule

Post by La soule »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:23 pm I will not be very politically correct here but I thought that Pieterse's tackle was more spectacular than dangerous.

Red was deserved and there will be a ban (late, shoulder charge on a man up in the air - though not as a result of jumping to field the ball but after having kicked it away) but I doubt the ban will be more than 3 weeks. May be 5 to appease the crowds.
If you caution this sort of shit, then I want my general brawls back.

10cm higher and the damage would have been fairly apocalyptic.