The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thread

All things Rugby
C69

Re: The OFFICIAL English and European Football (soccer) thre

Post by C69 »

So will Bale be allowed to leave Real now?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Bimboc69 wrote:
New guy wrote:They almost earn as much from sales as they spend. Their net spend is actually very low.

For some reason most top clubs seem to offload players for dirt cheap while Chelsea get more than they're probably worth. Maybe their financial backing let's them play hard ball more than other clubs which are run as a business.
Chelsea have a massive amount of players out on loan, they earn loads by selling players who have never even played for the club.
I was going to make this point as well. They buy up tons of the worlds/europes young talent. I think they had over 40 players out on loan at one point.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Bimboc69 wrote:So will Bale be allowed to leave Real now?
I mentioned this in the football thread on the other forum but I reckon he's worth a punt. Real should be willing to offload him on the cheap so if I was a top 6 club I'd be putting in a sneaky loan deal offer. 15 million for the year say.
C69

Post by C69 »

New guy wrote:
I mentioned this in the football thread on the other forum but I reckon he's worth a punt. Real should be willing to offload him on the cheap so if I was a top 6 club I'd be putting in a sneaky loan deal offer. 15 million for the year say.
I would love him at Chelsea tbh, they need to get Ampadu back from Leipzig.
He is an excellent prospect in defence or defensive holding midfield.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

New guy wrote:
He almost went last summer to a chinese team for free but once Real saw how much they were going to pay him they pulled the plug on the deal, saying you can't afford a transfer fee but you can pay him 2/3 million a month?

I don't know which top teams that can afford his wages would take him. He either doesn't fit their style or they have no need for him.
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

Bimboc69 wrote:
New guy wrote:
I would love him at Chelsea tbh, they need to get Ampadu back from Leipzig.
He is an excellent prospect in defence or defensive holding midfield.
Chelsea doesn't really need him.
New guy

Post by New guy »

tiddle wrote:
New guy wrote:
He almost went last summer to a chinese team for free but once Real saw how much they were going to pay him they pulled the plug on the deal, saying you can't afford a transfer fee but you can pay him 2/3 million a month?

I don't know which top teams that can afford his wages would take him. He either doesn't fit their style or they have no need for him.
His wages are potentially affordable because clubs can make Real pay a portion of them.

I think United were still paying a fair whack of Sanchez's wages while he was in Milan.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

:lol:

Classic Roy Keane, never happy! :lol: I love how Richards can't stop laughing at his reaction.
Olddantucker

Post by Olddantucker »

So it turns out that Liverpool won the league prior to lockdown anyway :lol:

Liverpool 82 points as of 8th March, last games before lockdown.
Manchester City 81 points at end of season.

Asterisk that, you cvnts! :roll:

naki

Post by naki »

Liverpool*

*Greatest Champions Eva
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote:

Classic Roy Keane, never happy! :lol: I love how Richards can't stop laughing at his reaction.
I was laughing at Micah Richards' laughter. :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Same :lol:
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

Richards is awful, laughing like a lunatic at anything, thinking being loud makes you a decent pundit
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

CAS' judgement on Man City released. They found that UEFA did not prove that City broke any rules on sponsorship and as such the ban had to be overturned. The fine was for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

Not a good look for UEFA's case against them and their enforcement and investigation teams.
Olddantucker

Post by Olddantucker »

earl the beaver wrote:CAS' judgement on Man City released. They found that UEFA did not prove that City broke any rules on sponsorship and as such the ban had to be overturned. The fine was for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

Not a good look for UEFA's case against them and their enforcement and investigation teams.
To be fair, that doesn't sound like quite accurate:

"The Cas panel of three European lawyers decided by a majority 2-1, however, that it would not consider the legitimacy of those Etisalat payments, because they were made more than five years before the CFCB charges were brought in May 2019, so were “time-barred”.

It's also a touch dodgy for Man City to have nominated the CAS judge for the case. :lol: Football, eh? :roll:
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Olddantucker wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:CAS' judgement on Man City released. They found that UEFA did not prove that City broke any rules on sponsorship and as such the ban had to be overturned. The fine was for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

To be fair, that doesn't sound like quite accurate:

"The Cas panel of three European lawyers decided by a majority 2-1, however, that it would not consider the legitimacy of those Etisalat payments, because they were made more than five years before the CFCB charges were brought in May 2019, so were “time-barred”.

It's also a touch dodgy for Man City to have nominated the CAS judge for the case. :lol: Football, eh? :roll:
The Eltisalat payments were made before City paid their last fine so were covered under that and outside the 5year scope of UEFAs enquiry (CAS did not examine the proof for those payments as they were time barred).

CAS said it was likely that City would have won the case had they fully cooperated
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Arsenal 2-1 against Chelsea. 14 time F.A. Cup winners. Incredible record. Arteta has turned a 2/10 season into a glorious one. A fair bit of good fortune went Arsenal's way but they were clearly the better team overall.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

LandOTurk wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What qualifies Richards to be often sitting in the same punditry team as Carragher, Neville, Keane and Souness?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Willie Falloon wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

What qualifies Richards to be often sitting in the same punditry team as Carragher, Neville, Keane and Souness?
It's refreshing to have someone who doesn't just talk about Liverpool and Man Utd and how they are supposed to be the best.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

eldanielfire wrote: Arteta has turned a 2/10 season into a glorious one. .
:lol: How the mighty have fallen, especially considering domestic cups are largely glorified reserves cups these days.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

AND-y wrote:
eldanielfire wrote: Arteta has turned a 2/10 season into a glorious one. .
:lol: How the mighty have fallen, especially considering domestic cups are largely glorified reserves cups these days.
Tell that to Man City and Chelsea fans who fielded the best team they could against Arsenal. At the end of the day, fans remember their teams lifting cups each season. I've been blessed with being an Arsenal fan, the silverware has been coming pretty frequently in my lifetime, but never so much I've taken it for granted. I can remember each and every one of the 9 F.A Cup victories I've seen in my lifetime as well as the Leagues, League Cup and Cup winners Cup wins.

Meanwhile Arteta won us silverware, got us into Europe, showed we can regularly beat the top 4/6 and even messed up Spurs season as they now have to go through the Europa League's qualifying stages at the start of the (hectic) season and a small break.

Besides it's somewhat ironic to See Man Utd and Chelsea fans bantering at us without irony about making top 4 while they celebrate it large :smug:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Also I love this video of Arteta walking into the changing rooms with the F.A. Cup like a boss:

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1289647059155460096

https://twitter.com/EmiratesFACup/statu ... 5654430721
New guy

Post by New guy »

Let's be honest here, no Chelsea, Man City or United fan would swap their CL spot for an FA cup. I'm not knocking you for being pleased, I was happy when United won the FA cup in 2016(?). But do I look back on that season with any fondness? Nope. We were shite.

Arsenal to me look like a club in terminal decline.
bok_viking

Post by bok_viking »

New guy wrote:Let's be honest here, no Chelsea, Man City or United fan would swap their CL spot for an FA cup. I'm not knocking you for being pleased, I was happy when United won the FA cup in 2016(?). But do I look back on that season with any fondness? Nope. We were shite.

I wanted United to play a complete 2nd team in the SF against Chelsea actually. They were looking very jaded in the last week and half. I just wanted them to focus on the premier league and then give the Europa League a good go afterwards. So for me the FA Cup was something that could be done if anything else were sorted out. Its nice to win it, something that can put gloss on a season if you had a decent one, but not winning it does not hurt at all. I am looking at the way United played since January with much more fondness than the last 5 years. It was actually enjoyable to watch for the most part. None of the styles we saw under Van Gaal and Mourinho that was almost unbearable to watch at times.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

New guy wrote:Let's be honest here, no Chelsea, Man City or United fan would swap their CL spot for an FA cup. I'm not knocking you for being pleased, I was happy when United won the FA cup in 2016(?). But do I look back on that season with any fondness? Nope. We were shite.
In five years time, no Chelsea or Man fan will remember fondly coming top 4 this season and inning nothing. They will remember their F.A. Cup wins. No Arsenal fan cares Spurs have been in the Champions league more often since 2014, we won 4 F.A. Cups and they won nothing.

A top 4 spot may set you up for the potential more prestigious Champions League football next season. Good for the clubs finances but not much else. But honestly, 3rd and 4th are probably going to be thrashed by the Round of 16. Look at a fans memories of a season. Do they remember a top 4 spot or picking up trophies?

Look closer. Look at what Arteta has done in a short period of time. He came to a team in turmoil, falling apart, Xhaka had walked out on the fans, the defence was a mess, Aubameyang was down and not scoring much, Pepe wasn't being played, Cerebos wasn't playing or bothering at training, the team was at war. Then he arrived, made Xhaka our stand out midfielder, got Aubameyang scoring again, re-invented Laccassette, got some top performance from Pepe, introduced a half dozen youngsters (Saka, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Nketiah, Martinelli, Willock) who all played vital roles at some point and made our reserve goalkeeper play world class. Heck he even got Mustaffi to pass as a credible defender. He's adapted the tactics and formation every game to our opponents, won most of his big games and done what hasn't happened in years, beaten the whole top 4 and made the player feel like they can and will win any big match. It's a crying shame he didn't arrive earlier.

IMO next season he'll been able to use the short pre-season to mold the team more into his own vision. He's been assured by the board they will be transfer activity, we have highly rated defender William Saliba back from loan after buying him last season and rumour has it Barcelona want Guendozi and 9 million for Coutinho which would be a bargain. Arsenal can only get better and will be under a superior coach all season.

Also I think Ole Gunnar Solskjær isn't doing a great job at Utd )he's doing OK) for the sheer cost of the team he has and Frank Lampard actually took Chelsea back a place and 6 points less than last season despite a loaded squad. IMO the top 4 is open for attack next season.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Finishing third isn't a memorable achievement but it still keeps up the illusion of being a top club and helps with attracting better quality signings.

I really cant see Arsenal getting anywhere near top 4 next year, unless they have a good transfer window and keep Aubameyang.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

New guy wrote:Finishing third isn't a memorable achievement but it still keeps up the illusion of being a top club and helps with attracting better quality signings.
Illusion of status is meaningless without trophies. At the end of the day the season is memorable by silverware not who you can buy in the off-season. Arsenal fans lats night celebrated far bigger than any Man Utd or Chelsea fan did this season. No one was counting their record of top 4 finishes as Arsenal earned praise for being the greatest F.A. Cup side of all time with 14 wins, 10% of all F.A Cups.

I really cant see Arsenal getting anywhere near top 4 next year, unless they have a good transfer window and keep Aubameyang.
Arsenal this season only missed out on top 4 with something like 3 games to go. Arteta took over a club with a record of something like 2 wins in the past 16 matches in December and without any transfers or additions took them to a club who beat the whole top 4 in mostly big matches and F.A. Cup winners. Imagine if took over at the start of the season.

Next season he will effectively have two better centre backs, and it seems likely Arsenal will be shopping for a quality DM and creative midfielder. Man Utd aren't going to be much better and Chelsea seem determined to buy players they have strength in already. Plus Lampard technically took them backwards by 6 points off last season. Also Arsenal actually lost fewer games than Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea. Top 4 could well be converting those drab draws under Emery and Ljungberg plus a few "team in total chaos" losses into wins against lower opposition. Also add on that most of the top 4 have more games this season in Europe while Arsenal players are resting and getting some pre-season in. Spurs have Europa qualifying, Wolves still have the europa league with Man Utd with Chelsea, Leicester and Man City with Champions League games to come. Arsenal can start with a rest and preparation advantage over everyone above them.

Top 4 for Arsenal is certainly a realistic goal. I'm not saying it is certain but it's a heck of a lot closer than you claim.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

:lol: That's some lovely rose tinted analysis of Arsenal FC
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Arsenal won't challenge top 4.

Spurs will.

Liverpool
United
City
Chelsea

In that order next year
not_english

Post by not_english »

Spurs have been about as rubbish as Arsenal this year.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

P in VG wrote::lol: That's some lovely rose tinted analysis of Arsenal FC
Brilliant effort to be fair though.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Of the top 6 teams or so my favouritism is as:

Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
Man City
Man Utd
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

It's analysis based on facts mate. And I've not be positive about Arsenal for a long while.

-Arteta took over Arsenal when they had 2 wins in 16 matches and completely turned it around.
-Arsenal where only out of the Top 4 with 4 games to go.
-Arteta got the defence in a much better position
-Arteta beat the whole top 4 in his half season in charge.
-William Saliba has joined the club. He was brought a year ago. Defence is already improved.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

iarmhiman wrote:Arsenal won't challenge top 4.

Spurs will.

Liverpool
United
City
Chelsea

In that order next year
I bet they will challenge. I also doubt United will overhaul City next season.
Olddantucker

Post by Olddantucker »

eldanielfire wrote:

Spurs will.

Liverpool
United
City
Chelsea

In that order next year
Thats a very ambitious prediction for United! :lol:

I'm also not entirely convinced we will be top again. 97 points and 99 points, 2 years in a row. It's really hard to back up a third year in a row and that's really what we're talking about.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote:

Spurs will.

Liverpool
United
City
Chelsea

In that order next year
For me it will be City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

I'm slightly cheered by the confidence you fans of other clubs have in Spurs but only a bit. I can't see us arresting the sh#tness just yet. I'm starting to think Mourinho's 2nd place with Man Utd in 2018 was a modern-day miracle....never to be repeated...
New guy

Post by New guy »

eldanielfire wrote:
It's analysis based on facts mate. And I've not be positive about Arsenal for a long while.

-Arteta took over Arsenal when they had 2 wins in 16 matches and completely turned it around.
-Arsenal where only out of the Top 4 with 4 games to go.
-Arteta got the defence in a much better position
-Arteta beat the whole top 4 in his half season in charge.
-William Saliba has joined the club. He was brought a year ago. Defence is already improved.
What do you mean they only missed out with 4 games to go? They spent most of the season languishing around 10th place :lol:.

Since Arteta came in, Arsenal have been the 6th best team in the league. I think that sounds like a realistic ambition for next season.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Spurs will.

Liverpool
United
City
Chelsea

In that order next year
Yeah I can see Jose grinding out a bunch of 1-0 wins to keep Spurs in touching distance.