Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Gauss
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Gauss »

It’s fairly clear that Taoiseach Varadkar and opposition/Tanaiste Varadkar are very different politicians.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59468
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Gauss wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:03 pm It’s fairly clear that Taoiseach Varadkar and opposition/Tanaiste Varadkar are very different politicians.
Varadkar was saying this sort of stuff as Taoiseach. He wanted schools opened in May.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36527
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
Clever by Shinners. Egg on NPHET’s mission to bankrupt the country and pretend there’s a magic money tree that will keep everyone on €350 a week for not working for the rest of their lives. It’s making the government look like bad guys every time they dare to suggest that this isn’t sustainable
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
He's a grade A attention seeker.

Last week he went to all of the colleges to encourage them to move to Level 3 and online learning. Of course, under the Government's Living with Covid plan, it was supposed to be a county by county approach with all sectors of a county moving to that level at the same time. Colleges could continue in person learning until they moved to level 3.

Not good enough for Simon though, he saw another chance for the limelight. Maybe stick another video out on social media with the Thank You Simon cards on the mantle piece.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 40887
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by camroc1 »

Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
cfm93
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by cfm93 »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
The article suggests it will strengthen the case for full scale lockdown. x(
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40057658.html
Another witness for the National Public Health Emergency Team, Professor Philip Nolan appeared to take issue with Mr O’Callaghan’s robust questioning. Refusing to speculate what the number of deaths is likely to be in October, Prof Nolan said the risk to young people remains high.
Nolan is a very arrogant individual, he was giving out when the GAA questioned the 200 person limit at games as well and asked for the science. How dare people (or an elected official) question him.

It was an "academic exercise" for himself and NPHET to check people's movements beyond 48 hours over the summer.

A couple of young lads in their early 20s caught Covid driving to a GAA game so we had to cut back on crowd numbers straight away, it was science.
iarmhiman
Posts: 40103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
Definitely "not"
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
That's me in A&E soon
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36527
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40057658.html
Another witness for the National Public Health Emergency Team, Professor Philip Nolan appeared to take issue with Mr O’Callaghan’s robust questioning. Refusing to speculate what the number of deaths is likely to be in October, Prof Nolan said the risk to young people remains high.
Nolan is a very arrogant individual, he was giving out when the GAA questioned the 200 person limit at games as well and asked for the science. How dare people (or an elected official) question him.

It was an "academic exercise" for himself and NPHET to check people's movements beyond 48 hours over the summer.

A couple of young lads in their early 20s caught Covid driving to a GAA game so we had to cut back on crowd numbers straight away, it was science.
They’re really trying to sell this “long covid“ as justification for the restrictions. Lots of viruses have a post viral syndrome that leaves you bunched for 3-6months afterwards. And if you’ve been intubated in ICU obviously you will take 6 months minimum to have a full recovery. The fact is that for the vast majority of people this isn’t a serious disease. Trying to sell the public the dangers of long covid just comes across as scaremongering
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
He wasn’t much of a hawk in February and to the middle of March.

He only became one when it was clear that the population was fully in the thrall of this and the Government were willing to write a blank cheque on the cost of restrictions.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36527
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:23 pm
camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
He wasn’t much of a hawk in February and to the middle of March.

He only became one when it was clear that the population was fully in the thrall of this and the Government were willing to write a blank cheque on the cost of restrictions.
If you remember they were arguing strongly against a lockdown as they said if they time it wrong then it won’t be effective as the public would start ignoring it.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

He's come back to tell the kiddy winks no sweets at Halloween. Ro didn't have the heart
User avatar
normilet
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by normilet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
Clever by Shinners. Egg on NPHET’s mission to bankrupt the country and pretend there’s a magic money tree that will keep everyone on €350 a week for not working for the rest of their lives. It’s making the government look like bad guys every time they dare to suggest that this isn’t sustainable
This reminded me of a fair few comments I read this morning on the Ireland subreddit, thread about the latest number of Covid cases.

Several people basically saying a full lockdown is required (similar to what we had at the start of all this) until 2021 at the earliest, with full and increased PUP for the duration. When questioned on how this would be paid for etc., the responses were literally:
"It's just numbers on a screen somewhere, they're not running out of numbers any time soon"


or
"It's called a fiat currency because it can be created by fiat. They can literally move some decimal points in the ECB and hand it out to everyone".
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59468
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by CM11 »

:lol: :roll: :uhoh:
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:23 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40057658.html
Another witness for the National Public Health Emergency Team, Professor Philip Nolan appeared to take issue with Mr O’Callaghan’s robust questioning. Refusing to speculate what the number of deaths is likely to be in October, Prof Nolan said the risk to young people remains high.
Nolan is a very arrogant individual, he was giving out when the GAA questioned the 200 person limit at games as well and asked for the science. How dare people (or an elected official) question him.

It was an "academic exercise" for himself and NPHET to check people's movements beyond 48 hours over the summer.

A couple of young lads in their early 20s caught Covid driving to a GAA game so we had to cut back on crowd numbers straight away, it was science.
They’re really trying to sell this “long covid“ as justification for the restrictions. Lots of viruses have a post viral syndrome that leaves you bunched for 3-6months afterwards. And if you’ve been intubated in ICU obviously you will take 6 months minimum to have a full recovery. The fact is that for the vast majority of people this isn’t a serious disease. Trying to sell the public the dangers of long covid just comes across as scaremongering
Yup, it’s daily now.

Another article on RTÉ on it this morning.

It’s pretty simple, we can’t wait around to see the long term impact of Covid. The long term impact of SARS 1 was studied over 15 years. There’s managing risk and there’s talking the human race off the cliff. If people in their 20s now are in their early 40s suffering from short breath from Covid, that’s tough luck. The human race has advanced through far worse pandemics and chronic diseases, our children and their children will take up the mantle. Far worse for them and society is being told to stay indoors for years, don’t have sex and get on with life.

In terms of controlling risks, the Taleb and co paper on tail risks and pandemics basically stated that once you get over 1,000 deaths from a Novel virus, that’s when you pull the trigger on hard restrictions. I’d ask Nolan and Co why they didn’t advocate for harder restrictions earlier, when that threshold was reached. They are arguing about these long term unknown risks now, but didn’t when that immediate risk of large scale death was there in February. I’m sure they would have, but didn’t, because of the academic theory on it.

The reason is that the academic theory on pandemics tried to account for the need for societies to get on with it, that public health couldn’t work in isolation from the economy. But NPHET and other public health figures cannot believe their luck and that Governments have been willing to borrow money for such a sustained period of time.

Long Covid as a risk is basically an unknown. If public health officials could stop bad foods being sold in the shop they would, from a risk perspective, and they can actually ascribe a risk factor to those things. As long as you stick the word Covid on it now people will nod and agree it must be stopped on all counts.
iarmhiman
Posts: 40103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

normilet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
Clever by Shinners. Egg on NPHET’s mission to bankrupt the country and pretend there’s a magic money tree that will keep everyone on €350 a week for not working for the rest of their lives. It’s making the government look like bad guys every time they dare to suggest that this isn’t sustainable
This reminded me of a fair few comments I read this morning on the Ireland subreddit, thread about the latest number of Covid cases.

Several people basically saying a full lockdown is required (similar to what we had at the start of all this) until 2021 at the earliest, with full and increased PUP for the duration. When questioned on how this would be paid for etc., the responses were literally:
"It's just numbers on a screen somewhere, they're not running out of numbers any time soon"


or
"It's called a fiat currency because it can be created by fiat. They can literally move some decimal points in the ECB and hand it out to everyone".
Ah yes printing money like paper without control. What could go wrong there?
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:26 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:23 pm
camroc1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm Dr. Tony back next week :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4369435

Is that a Huzzah !, or not ?
He wasn’t much of a hawk in February and to the middle of March.

He only became one when it was clear that the population was fully in the thrall of this and the Government were willing to write a blank cheque on the cost of restrictions.
If you remember they were arguing strongly against a lockdown as they said if they time it wrong then it won’t be effective as the public would start ignoring it.
Exactly, I wish the press would bring this up.

I don’t give NPHET or the Government shit for February and March because they were acting in an information vacuum and were applying pandemic theory/WHO advice nearly to the letter. Stuff like nursing home visits even, it was clear in March that they were the most vulnerable people and trying to stop outsiders coming in might be prudent, but at the same time they were looking at the quality of life for the elderly. At 5 months median time in a place like that and with this around for maybe years to come, banning family members from seeing one another is pretty inhumane. They were making all of those considerations around then, including as you mention people not following restrictions.

If you just scream about deaths now and caring for others, then why aren’t you questioning NPHET for back then? What’s actually changed? In fact the floated mortality rate of Covid-19 is a lot lower than what was feared in that period.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Lads I have a very bad hangover
User avatar
normilet
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by normilet »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 pm
normilet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
Clever by Shinners. Egg on NPHET’s mission to bankrupt the country and pretend there’s a magic money tree that will keep everyone on €350 a week for not working for the rest of their lives. It’s making the government look like bad guys every time they dare to suggest that this isn’t sustainable
This reminded me of a fair few comments I read this morning on the Ireland subreddit, thread about the latest number of Covid cases.

Several people basically saying a full lockdown is required (similar to what we had at the start of all this) until 2021 at the earliest, with full and increased PUP for the duration. When questioned on how this would be paid for etc., the responses were literally:
"It's just numbers on a screen somewhere, they're not running out of numbers any time soon"


or
"It's called a fiat currency because it can be created by fiat. They can literally move some decimal points in the ECB and hand it out to everyone".
Ah yes printing money like paper without control. What could go wrong there?
That was actually a response by someone else on the thread.

Followed by:
FFG have just found 39bn for Covid on top of the 64bn they found ten years ago for the banks, there must be a money tree somewhere
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Is reddit not a teenager thing?
Nolanator
Posts: 38520
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Nolanator »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 pm Is reddit not a teenager thing?
Not anymore. The original teenagers have grown up.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

https://twitter.com/kaceyoriordan/statu ... 80576?s=21

If you don’t follow this, your child will get Covid
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 pm Is reddit not a teenager thing?
Not anymore. The original teenagers have grown up.
I'm not so sure about that, reading those comments
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 pm https://twitter.com/kaceyoriordan/statu ... 80576?s=21

If you don’t follow this, your child will get Covid
:lol:
User avatar
rfurlong
Posts: 11299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by rfurlong »

I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
User avatar
rfurlong
Posts: 11299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by rfurlong »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:55 am
rfurlong wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:27 pm Can any of the "NPHET are shit" crew, explain to the rest of us, how they intend to stop hospitalizations doubling every fortnight?
I'll answer you in a second, but you continue to ignore the question asked of you, are you happy for industries to be shut down until the end of 2021 at least?
Of course I'm not happy for the economy, or certain sectors, to be shut down until the end of 2021 ...... what in gods name ever gave you that stupid notion?

All I've ever said is that I'm happy for the pubs to be shut until we get on top of the rising case numbers/hospitalisations

And I note that you (not unexpectedly) have completely failed to answer my question :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:50 am There are people on here saying that NPHET are total spoofers and complete villains, who are single handedly destroying the economy while also riding our wives and girlfriends

yet when myself, mullet, stats and a few others call out this bullshit, we're accused of lacking nuance, empathy, intelligence and being hysterical Karen's :lol:
Who ?
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:12 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:55 am
rfurlong wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:27 pm Can any of the "NPHET are shit" crew, explain to the rest of us, how they intend to stop hospitalizations doubling every fortnight?
I'll answer you in a second, but you continue to ignore the question asked of you, are you happy for industries to be shut down until the end of 2021 at least?
Of course I'm not happy for the economy, or certain sectors, to be shut down until the end of 2021 ...... what in gods name ever gave you that stupid notion?

All I've ever said is that I'm happy for the pubs to be shut until we get on top of the rising case numbers/hospitalisations
That's not an answer.

If restaruants/pubs/cafes drive infections, then they will go back up. This is more than pubs.

In terms of "on top of hospitalisations". 1% of hospital capacity is being used for Covid right now. How "on top" do you want to be? Stato's little "doubling" line without context is cute, but ignores the reality.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28758
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 pm
normilet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am Varadkar isn't quite on his own but I do think he doesn't have any strong allies on this and Harris seems to be on the opposite side, which doesn't help.
Leo's problem is that FF are vulnerable and are worried about Sinn Fein and the latter are fully behind NPHET's decisions.

Harris is now the love of all old age pensioners all over the country. I'm sure he's missing the limelight.
Clever by Shinners. Egg on NPHET’s mission to bankrupt the country and pretend there’s a magic money tree that will keep everyone on €350 a week for not working for the rest of their lives. It’s making the government look like bad guys every time they dare to suggest that this isn’t sustainable
This reminded me of a fair few comments I read this morning on the Ireland subreddit, thread about the latest number of Covid cases.

Several people basically saying a full lockdown is required (similar to what we had at the start of all this) until 2021 at the earliest, with full and increased PUP for the duration. When questioned on how this would be paid for etc., the responses were literally:
"It's just numbers on a screen somewhere, they're not running out of numbers any time soon"


or
"It's called a fiat currency because it can be created by fiat. They can literally move some decimal points in the ECB and hand it out to everyone".
Ah yes printing money like paper without control. What could go wrong there?
Worked a treat in Weimar Germany, I dunno why we have to wait for global pandemics and economic collapses really, just print money, everyone goes on a 10 hour week , happy days
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Re hospitalisations, the 14 day average number of cases was 88 for the two weeks to August 19th.

When you take into account that testing was about half of what it is now, we are talking a like for like case number of 130-150 relative to now. The 14 day average cases in the last couple of weeks is around 300 with the test load being double of what it is then. So basically we have risen about 100-120% in that time, not to be sniffed at but that is in the space of 6 weeks. The growth rate in Dublin was slowing two weeks ago, the growth rate around the rest of the country is a bit behind that but is going up to.

There has been growth in cases, but that was inevitable coming into respiratory season.

What we saw in March was day by day significant growth in hospitalisations, growing from 20 to nearly 900 in the space of a month. We saw hospitalisations go from 20 to 90 between August 20th and September 20th.

There are quite clearly mitigators there, whether that is tracing, whether that is people distancing etc.

To shit your pants at 1% hospital occupancy is pathetic. To shut down an entire industry similar. You have defended NPHET over and over, NPHET didn't get off their holes to investigate cases until last week. The Government have gone along with it and did not ask the proper questions over the summer.
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
If Covid motivates young obese people to get healthy as their mates are all off living life, that might not be the worst thing.

For people with chronic issues like asthma, that's life unfortunately.

Feeling left out is not an excuse, very lefty in outlook.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36527
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
Hundreds of dead children territory here
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
There are thousands of people going through chemo at any one time and we don't stop the country for them so they don't get infections. We ask them to mind themselves and unfortunately they still end up in hospitals with sepsis etc. Thems are the breaks
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by EverReady »

Sanity prevails a bit too late in the day https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/r ... 79254.html

Cue outrage
User avatar
Blackrock Bullet
Posts: 14180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: #68

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

To put some more perspective on it;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... %20strains.

Last December.

100 hospitalised in a week with seasonal Influenza

January

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4142887

609 hospitalised with it in a week

Under 100 hospitalised in 6 weeks with Covid and it's disaster stations.
User avatar
Mullet 2
Posts: 28758
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:37 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
Hundreds of dead children territory here
Stick to analyzing Prime Time like it’s a Leinster game

“Feeley smashing Glynner with the big hit”
iarmhiman
Posts: 40103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by iarmhiman »

:lol:
User avatar
rfurlong
Posts: 11299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by rfurlong »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:31 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
rfurlong wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:09 pm I'd be happy for NPHET/The Government to put their focus into keeping hospitalisations down, as opposed to keeping case numbers down.

That would potentially mean kids sports (amongst other things like well controlled restaurants) being recommenced/reopened, which I think is crucial

How do you focus on keeping hospitalisations down without focusing on keeping case numbers down though?

The unspoken piece of Leo's statement is essentially "lock up your grannies" ....... which in fairness most grannies are already doing themselves
And 1000s of young people with underlying conditions.
If Covid motivates young obese people to get healthy as their mates are all off living life, that might not be the worst thing.

For people with chronic issues like asthma, that's life unfortunately.

Feeling left out is not an excuse, very lefty in outlook.

And I'm the one lacking empathy? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Post Reply