NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
mr bungle

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by mr bungle »

JB1981 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:42 am
Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 am Covid press conference at 1pm.

Great timing - not suspicious at all.
Who is fronting it? Are you thinking this is something more than X number of imported cases in isolation?
Jacinda, if only to deflect the criticism she received for campaigning hard at them? Which she did.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Ouch - my head .

Fantastic after party , and a real mix of types .

Very friendly muslims around , pissed all sorts .

Sooooo glad to see the back of Gerry .

Wait on wasn’t he popular locally with a huge safe majority according to Dark ?

What were they thinking ?

Numbskulls

Beautiful day .
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm I do hope that Kelvin Davis shot himself in the foot last night.

James Shaw for Deputy PM (pipe dream) or Grant Robertson please.
What does Davis bring to the table? He seems dim and well out of his depth. Is he just a token appointment by Ardern?
On a side note, that's always the perception for any Māori in a professional field who isn't meeting standards. I work in a professional, Pākeha-dominated environment, and I've always felt that if I didn't do my job properly, that it would reflect badly on all Māori and make it harder for the next person to come through with regards to opportunities. I'm not making excuses for Kelvin Davis, but I do think that Māori have to face perceptions that their appointment was due to tokenism if they're unable to do their job properly.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 am

Who is fronting it? Are you thinking this is something more than X number of imported cases in isolation?
Jacinda, if only to deflect the criticism she received for campaigning hard at them? Which she did.
Nah, It'll be St Ashley.

By the sound of it we have a community case
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:56 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm I do hope that Kelvin Davis shot himself in the foot last night.

What does Davis bring to the table? He seems dim and well out of his depth. Is he just a token appointment by Ardern?
On a side note, that's always the perception for any Māori in a professional field who isn't meeting standards. I work in a professional, Pākeha-dominated environment, and I've always felt that if I didn't do my job properly, that it would reflect badly on all Māori and make it harder for the next person to come through with regards to opportunities. I'm not making excuses for Kelvin Davis, but I do think that Māori have to face perceptions that their appointment was due to tokenism if they're unable to do their job properly.
That was a shocking speech though - imagine something like that when he is Acting PM.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 am

Nah, It'll be St Ashley.

By the sound of it we have a community case
Bugger if that is the case.

Edit: it doesn’t appear to be televised so hopefully nothing dramatic.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

One new case In the community - a port worker who was tested after developing symptoms on Friday.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

He’s there to appeal to Maori. To show unity. That’s her strategy from 3 years ago, I think. I don’t disagree with the thinking, and while he doesn’t have to be the next best, he has to show some ability. He’s just such a poor performer I don’t think she should make the same appointment. But I don’t see it changing.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Not wanting to take anything away from your point here Tehui, it’s my impression as a middle class white male type that those harsher judgements seem to be reserved for anyone not white, middle class and male... both here in Aus and at home in NZ.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 am That was a shocking speech though - imagine something like that when he is Acting PM.
I haven't seen / heard it yet, but it sounds like I'm not missing much.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 am He’s there to appeal to Maori. To show unity. That’s her strategy from 3 years ago, I think. I don’t disagree with the thinking, and while he doesn’t have to be the next best, he has to show some ability. He’s just such a poor performer I don’t think she should make the same appointment. But I don’t see it changing.
Do you think Nanaia Mahuta or Peni Henare would have performed better in the Deputy PM role?
guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 am Not wanting to take anything away from your point here Tehui, it’s my impression as a middle class white male type that those harsher judgements seem to be reserved for anyone not white, middle class and male... both here in Aus and at home in NZ.
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:25 pm
UncleFB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:08 pm
Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm
UncleFB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 am
RuggaBugga wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:25 am

Coalition. This is a historic swing to Labour but we can see a lot of this is covid driven.

If Ardern is serious about being inclusive she'd take the greens on confidence and supply at least and def bring the Maori party into the fold if they come through.

God how much of a cock is Hooton
I definitely wouldn't. There's no need to when Labour dominate the Maori seats. The Maori Party made their bed.
You want the the govt to ditch Whanau Ora. OK. But disagree
I'd prefer Whanau Ora was implemented properly - also I worked on a successful Whanau Ora bid, I also worked on an unsuccessful one too, that was more deserving than the successful one.

But the Maori Party negated their whole reason for existence when they supported the Takutai Moana Act.

Furthermore, why should Labour give the Maori Party any help? If the Maori Party don't exist they dominate the Maori seats, makes no sense to help keep them around.
Never said Labour had to.

Was just pointing out how stupid your remark the Maori Party made their bed was.

To deny they achieved things while with the Nats when the nats didn't even need them is frankly stupid
There’s nothing stupid about that remark, they made their bed and they suffered the consequences. Are you going to pretend otherwise?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:41 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 am He’s there to appeal to Maori. To show unity. That’s her strategy from 3 years ago, I think. I don’t disagree with the thinking, and while he doesn’t have to be the next best, he has to show some ability. He’s just such a poor performer I don’t think she should make the same appointment. But I don’t see it changing.
Do you think Nanaia Mahuta or Peni Henare would have performed better in the Deputy PM role?
I think they’re both more effective MPs than Davis. Not sure if they’re at Deputy PM level. It’s a very senior position. Robertson should get it, IMO.
Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 am Not wanting to take anything away from your point here Tehui, it’s my impression as a middle class white male type that those harsher judgements seem to be reserved for anyone not white, middle class and male... both here in Aus and at home in NZ.
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me.
I don’t wish for my comment to be misconstrued as the fair points you both make about difficulties many face in business etc. I see politics separately where in this case I think Davis was chosen due to Maori heritage and broadening party appeal. Nothing wrong with an appointment in that regard. Or was he a good cop/bad cop foil for Ardern? Or both. Either way he seems well out of his depth.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fair enough Bungle... you have to be measured on performance and Davis just doesn’t cut the mustard.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Kelvin Davis was part of the Maori seat strategy devised by Willie Jackson for the 2017 election. Worked a treat. He can still be Deputy Leader of the party but DPM requires the gift of the gab - Robertson is the obvious choice.

I think his performance in Corrections is not too shabby - his main cause in opposition. Now there is such a huge caucus, hopefully JA can spread the workload around. Tourism should go to someone else. I think Associate Health should go to Ayesha Verrall and Liz Craig.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I think Associate Health should go to Ayesha Verrall and Liz Craig.
Interesting - who gets Health then?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Auckman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 am Kelvin Davis was part of the Maori seat strategy devised by Willie Jackson for the 2017 election. Worked a treat. He can still be Deputy Leader of the party but DPM requires the gift of the gab - Robertson is the obvious choice.

I think his performance in Corrections is not too shabby - his main cause in opposition. Now there is such a huge caucus, hopefully JA can spread the workload around. Tourism should go to someone else. I think Associate Health should go to Ayesha Verrall and Liz Craig.
Two months into COVID and Davis, the minister for tourism, hadn’t contacted the mayors of Rotorua or Queenstown. Quite unusual.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

I wasn't aware Davis had any Maori heritage, he must have about a fingernail of Maori blood. My comment was solely based on his "speech" last night, which lacked class and showed the man has no mana at all. I hope he does not get DPM based on that alone.

As for tokenism, then if he is appointed, then it screams tokenism. He has done nothing of note to justify that appointment. I think Robertson is a much better pick for DPM.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 am Fair enough Bungle... you have to be measured on performance and Davis just doesn’t cut the mustard.
:thumbup:
obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 am As for tokenism, then if he is appointed, then it screams tokenism. He has done nothing of note to justify that appointment. I think Robertson is a much better pick for DPM.
I personally think Robertson would be a better Deputy PM, as would Chris Hipkins for that matter. And as like I've already said, I'm not defending Davis' performance or behaviour as Deputy PM. However, when a non-Māori politician isn't meeting the standards, how often do people start whispering 'tokensim'? They might suggest incompetence, favouritism and cronyism, but I don't hear tokensim being used to describe their appointments.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 am
guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 am Fair enough Bungle... you have to be measured on performance and Davis just doesn’t cut the mustard.
obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 am As for tokenism, then if he is appointed, then it screams tokenism. He has done nothing of note to justify that appointment. I think Robertson is a much better pick for DPM.
I personally think Robertson would be a better Deputy PM, as would Chris Hipkins for that matter. And as like I've already said, I'm not defending Davis' performance or behaviour as Deputy PM. However, when a non-Māori politician isn't meeting the standards, how often do people start whispering 'tokensim'? They might suggest incompetence, favouritism and cronyism, but I don't hear tokensim being used to describe their appointments.
Tokenism would not be a term used in that context. It would only be used if the perception that the appointment is based on race, and put into appease some faction within the party. It would be the same if the person was Chinese and Chinese interests were important.

But Davis has done nothing of note during his time so far, so why else would he be promoted?

The best person should get the job, no matter their gender or skin colour. If Davis is that person, no problem. His performance last night does not suggest he is.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:26 am
Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 am
Tokenism would not be a term used in that context. It would only be used if the perception that the appointment is based on race, and put into appease some faction within the party. It would be the same if the person was Chinese and Chinese interests were important.
You just supported my point. :thumbup:
dam0

Post by dam0 »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm Why is the leader of the opposition called "Crusher"?
When in govt she introduced a law resulting in the crushing the cars of people convicted of boy racer type offences.
I like that :thumbup:
From memory only one car was ever crushed.

It was a stupid policy. Police already have power to seize cars and sell them to pay fines. Populism at its worst.
brat

Post by brat »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 am
brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm
tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm Moral high ground? :lol: No one is claiming moral high ground.

Anyone who has followed NZ politics before Jacinda came along knows there is no moral high ground. You support a party where Gerry Brownlie is the co leader, a man who called Bob Parker a clown in the media. So spare us the indignation anything Davies said is tame compared to the precedent National has set over many decades.
As if to prove my point you come up with this hypocritical drivel. -you sound very salty about national

Also very sycophantic about ardern and know little of nz politics if you somehow think that Nz political morality started with ardern

As if to prove my point you act like you don't care to cover your salty tears but are being very passive aggressive.
I don't think you understand passive aggressive at all

My statement was direct and confrontational
brat

Post by brat »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am
brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm
brat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm
tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm Moral high ground? :lol: No one is claiming moral high ground.

Anyone who has followed NZ politics before Jacinda came along knows there is no moral high ground. You support a party where Gerry Brownlie is the co leader, a man who called Bob Parker a clown in the media. So spare us the indignation anything Davies said is tame compared to the precedent National has set over many decades.
As if to prove my point you come up with this hypocritical drivel. -you sound very salty about national

Also very sycophantic about ardern and know little of nz politics if you somehow think that Nz political morality started with ardern
"Well timed baby". :lol:
You really are pathetic - have never put anyone on ignore but probably should do so in your case
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you prod the passive aggressive eventually the salty tears come
Yep..you don't understand
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tubby is as painful on political threads as he is on rugby. Particularly blinkered.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Wow back to passive aggressive
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 am Tubby is as painful on political threads as he is on rugby. Particularly blinkered.
Thanks that's a compliment from you.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 am Tubby is as painful on political threads as he is on rugby. Particularly blinkered.
Thanks that's a compliment from you.
I’m incredibly skeptical of anyone who espouses one political party so fervently.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Didn't you back National under John Key?
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Cause I am skeptical of people who are influenced by personality politics ie who is the leader.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 am Didn't you back National under John Key?
I’ve voted all over the spectrum. But that’s done with an understanding that there is no one party that covers my ideology. I can cherry pick from most parties. Greens for this, but not for that. Nats for this, but not for that etc etc etc. I am skeptical of the one party, unwavering, stalwarts. Strange people.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

tubbyj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 am Cause I am skeptical of people who are influenced by personality politics ie who is the leader.
Well that’s been amplified in modern times via Key and Ardern.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 am
I’ve voted all over the spectrum. But that’s done with an understanding that there is no one party that covers my ideology. I can cherry pick from most parties. Greens for this, but not for that. Nats for this, but not for that etc etc etc. I am skeptical of the one party, unwavering, stalwarts. Strange people.
:nod:
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

There are fundamentals that don't change, i can bore you with them but it might offend your short attention span that is easily influenced by who is the leader. Ultimately and if I have to summarize it for short attention spans it comes down to the greatest good for the greatest amount of people VS I'm alright mate stuff you.
Last edited by tubbyj on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Your ideology is confused then. If you don't know what you stand for at your age, you never will. I find that strange.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 am
Your ideology is confused then. If you don't know what you stand for at your age, you never will. I find that strange.
:nod: :nod:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Must cabinet ministers all come from the ruling party? Or could Jacinda appoint a Green Party MP to her cabinet?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 am Must cabinet ministers all come from the ruling party? Or could Jacinda appoint a Green Party MP to her cabinet?
If they negotiate a coalition agreement there's no reason they couldn't have Green MP's in cabinet.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:38 am
Kiwias wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 am Must cabinet ministers all come from the ruling party? Or could Jacinda appoint a Green Party MP to her cabinet?
If they negotiate a coalition agreement there's no reason they couldn't have Green MP's in cabinet.
Yeah, like Winston Peters being in cabinet last time. Or is the question if a formal coalition doesn’t exist? In that case I think a cabinet minister has to be a member of Government so that would rule it out - I could well be wrong though.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Also I think I should make clear I don't agree with everything the left and Labour propose. If you search my post history you will see I certainly don't like the Greens. However if you can't see the difference between National and Labour over things like Employment relations, Kiwi Saver, Superannuation, and tax cut VS social services then I fear for your ability to analysis party policy.