Wallabies v All-Blacks - Bledisloe II - Official Match Thread

All things Rugby
Kiwias

Re: Wallabies v All-Blacks - Bledisloe II - Official Match Thread

Post by Kiwias »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 am Well done to NZ. Just smashed us. Had such influence over us, that even when you went to sleep for 20 mins, we happily joined you for a nap. Enjoy the win.
It did not feel like a smashing. Not even close. Your lads were always in that game, just a couple of amazing bits of defense on/over the goal that made the difference.

They will be a tough team on the other side of the ditch.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

B Barret is such a weapon
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Toro wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 am Absolutely shocking last 20 from the ABs, much like the first 40. Won it on the back of a great 15 minutes after halftime. Often looked shakey trying to hold possession. That game was a great opportunity to be ruthless but this team isn't there yet, effort was there but very little structure and purpose. So many shit offloads/passes.

Happier than last week obviously but frustrating to watch. Don't understand so much gushing from the pundits. Oz were poor today too.
Agree, the AB's were a little better, but there organisation on defence was terrible. Twice they were caught out without enough numbers out wide. This never happened a couple of years ago. I like Toro, think Oz were poor, but they can and will fix that, they were Ok for the first 30, but then started dropping off tackles. They had chances and I wonder if the chances they missed had a phsycohological effect on them?

The attack from the AB's seems nowhere near what it was previously, too often someone would make a break but there was not the support we have been accustomed to, or they didnt move out far enough quickly enough. I still wonder about the intelligence of some of the AB's and their ability to see an overlap and keep it intact by drawing defenders before passing. Regularly certain players are intent on sending it wide instead of drawing a defender. :frown:

I wonder what is being coached with this team. Are we going to see a team coached into mediocrity?
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 am
JB1981 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 am I didn’t think there was much “interpretation” at play in the no try. Placing the ball (a dynamic movement or whatever they call it now) would have been fine. The replay looked pretty clear that he got to his knees and moved (propelled) himself forward before placing. The decision was made quickly from that replay.

What was the feeling in the Australian broadcast? It was a small movement but to me if you allow that, you allow every tackles player to crawl.
I agree you can't allow that but are you seriously saying you believe he moved his knees forward. I've just watched it back and he 100% did not propel himself forward
:roll:
Mr Fedora

Post by Mr Fedora »

ABs took their chances, Oz blew most of theirs. O'Connor was a weapon for them last week but was anonymous today and gifted NZ a try with a poor kick. Some good young talent coming through on both sides though and the two games in Oz will be a lot tighter I expect.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Brian9848 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:30 am Best game I have even seen from Tuipulotou. He was immense and took responsibility at lineup time. Savea had a monster game and Cane continued his run of form. Think Umaga-Jensen is looking the part also at this level.

Toomua was a massive loss for Aus. They lost leadership and some direction when he departed but the the front five just were not close to the pitch they set last week.
Agree with this too. Too much inexperience out wide and Petaia although good with ball in hand, needs to pass, too often the movement died when he was tackled when he should have passed, he was a major reason for the loss of momentum for the Wallabies at times.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

ABs got 15 minute roll on otherwise it was a even match but that’s Test match footie. I’ve seen enough of this Wallabies to say an away win for the ABs will not come easy.

Esp impressed with the new blood in the ABs and bodes well for. Squad with depth in the next era ahead.

Today our defence really stood up particular at the maul. We lack a clutch kicker though. A Fox or Carter who would nail one out wide into the wind to win a match.

Looking forwArd to an epic Bled III. It’s do or die for the Wallabies.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

For me ABs only marginally better - of which half was Clarke. One step up in aggression (2 for Pat) across the board was good to see but they were not good enough to put away a number of points.

Aus were good, marginally off last week.

I liked the intensity just after half - good half time chat.
I thought the Alex H was good off the bench.

We lack incision through the midfield.
Scrum in second half under pressure.
Kick long to often without pressure.

Solid B - 6.5/10.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 pm For me ABs only marginally better - of which half was Clarke. One step up in aggression (2 for Pat) across the board was good to see but they were not good enough to put away a number of points.

Solid B - 6.5/10.
Also the RMo involvement in the Jordy try - the half step, speed to get outside White and then the soft hands to Goodhue were great.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 pm For me ABs only marginally better - of which half was Clarke. One step up in aggression (2 for Pat) across the board was good to see but they were not good enough to put away a number of points.

Solid B - 6.5/10.
They were much better in the midfield than last week. Goodhue actually ran with intent and bent the line and combined better with ALB. Defence is still a concern in that area as the Wobs made big meters.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

I'm very happy with Du'Plessis Kirifi making the All Blacks, I think he has the right style of game for them.

Any pissed off Lachlan Boshier fans?
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Sonny Blount wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 pm I'm very happy with Du'Plessis Kirifi making the All Blacks, I think he has the right style of game for them.

Any pissed off Lachlan Boshier fans?
Yes. But thinking about the last test, one of the best aspects was the performance of the newbies Clark, Vaa'i and Hodgman. So if youth continues to be successfully introduced (and Kirifi is younger than Boshier I think), then I'll be pleased. It does have to happen.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

im a bit disappointed.
Boshier is 10 cam taller and 2 years older.

I think the style of play is interesting - Boshier makes the other teams counter him more than DuPK (at the moment). DuPK is more attacking.
There are other players ahead of them in the squad anyway so slightly academic.