Australian rugby TV deal thread

All things Rugby
shanky

Australian rugby TV deal thread

Post by shanky »

Rather than get mangled up in the SR thread, this one is a bit of clear air to focus on this particular subject

I like the look of this news. Possibly getting the footy on free-to-air.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 56386.html
Farva

Re: Australian rugby TV deal thread

Post by Farva »

If it gets free to air for tests and super rugby I’m all for it.
Sounds like it’s also going to be on Stan so I can ditch Kayo
towny

Post by towny »

New Zealand posters will be spewing when they see this.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Looks great, excited for a State of Union, how would that work considering the Reds and Waratahs?
towny

Post by towny »

WoodlandsRFC wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 am Looks great, excited for a State of Union, how would that work considering the Reds and Waratahs?
We have no idea. If it works, and I think it will, I think they might have to look at renaming the Reds and Tahs.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

How about the Mighty Reds and the Welshers?
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 am How about the Mighty Reds and the Welshers?
Brisbane Reds?

Not sure. But I don’t think you can have a club and a rep team with the same name and history.
Matt Henjak

Post by Matt Henjak »

I don't trust or like Nine. Fox's coverage is stale but I think Nine would do the absolute minimum and it would suck.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Matt Henjak wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:14 am I don't trust or like Nine. Fox's coverage is stale but I think Nine would do the absolute minimum and it would suck.
Im the same. They got Ray Hadley to call the rugby WC in 2015. He hates the game and Nien are so pro league.
On the other hand we simply MUST have rugby on FTA for it to survive professionally so may have to suck it up.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Managed to get a buck n 50c and 3 chino rolls for the deal?
towny

Post by towny »

In 2011 Nine got the RWC and did their best to ruin it.

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episo ... er/9974172
towny

Post by towny »

I hate Fox and think it’s vital that Oz rugby gets on FTA, but Nine?

Things could be worse....
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’ll take it.

Fox will have to do some kind of sharing-deal otherwise they’ll lose the ~100k subscribers who are only there for the rugby. That’s $5m per month of lost revenue.

Best case is we get a bit of both. Nine doing the ‘choice’ games and Fox doing the other ones.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:28 am I’ll take it.

Fox will have to do some kind of sharing-deal otherwise they’ll lose the ~100k subscribers who are only there for the rugby. That’s $5m per month of lost revenue.

Best case is we get a bit of both. Nine doing the ‘choice’ games and Fox doing the other ones.
Isn’t that the same deal as 2011?

I’d want some additional clauses in there.... Nine corporate might sign off but I don’t trust any of the bogans that run the show.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Not sure I’m understanding your question

Anti-siphoning means that RWC has to go to FTA.

This deal is different, Nine are looking to show the Super comp as well

They’ll only show the ‘big’ game each week, and certainly won’t upset the NRL by cross-scheduling. I think it can work 90% of the time if we’re willing to play at off-peak times on Saturdays, say.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 am New Zealand posters will be spewing when they see this.
It seems like the smart money will be on Fox on cable (paying a bit less than they have on the table now) but along with a mix of FTA and streaming paying extras. With 9 still trying hard to pretend they aren't interested.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:47 am Not sure I’m understanding your question

They’ll only show the ‘big’ game each week, and certainly won’t upset the NRL by cross-scheduling. I think it can work 90% of the time if we’re willing to play at off-peak times on Saturdays, say.
It’s only Wallaby tests that must be go to FTA, right?
Even so, in 2011 did Nine bother showing some Australian tests live.

Check out that media watch article I linked.
shanky

Post by shanky »

:thumbup:

My experience with the FTA stuff over the years is that they do it reluctantly, and as cheaply as possible.

I like to think if Nine go so far as to bung in $30m per uear then they’ll try a bit harder.

But hey, I’m a naive optimist probably
Salient

Post by Salient »

WoodlandsRFC wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 am Looks great, excited for a State of Union, how would that work considering the Reds and Waratahs?
Should make for an awesome Rebels team including players such as .... uhmm sure there must be some.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

So taking tv rights to the market is a good thing now?
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:15 pm :thumbup:

My experience with the FTA stuff over the years is that they do it reluctantly, and as cheaply as possible.

I like to think if Nine go so far as to bung in $30m per uear then they’ll try a bit harder.

But hey, I’m a naive optimist probably
You’re probably right.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Matt Henjak wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:14 am I don't trust or like Nine. Fox's coverage is stale but I think Nine would do the absolute minimum and it would suck.

I am a bit more optimistic about Nein, since they took over Fairfax Media, I detect a slight shift in their editorial position. I suspect (or hope) that they might decide to butter up to the rugby demographic as part of their repositioning.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

shanky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:47 am Not sure I’m understanding your question

Don't the FTA stations have multiple channels now? Could always bump a 40th rerun of 'Who's up who and who's not paying' to play the rugger.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Good point.
towny

Post by towny »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:41 am

Don't the FTA stations have multiple channels now? Could always bump a 40th rerun of 'Who's up who and who's not paying' to play the rugger.
For tests, I think that it must be on the ‘main’ channel. Anti-siphoning rules rule out putting content on ‘digital channels’ which absurdly includes FTA. The regulations are out of date.

Nine could likely put in an application to use a digital channel and you’d think they’d be granted permission, but they didn’t do this at the 2011 RWC afaik.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Nein looking closer to get the jersey. I wont miss Foxtel with the way they treat the game now, they really only focus on AFL/NRL.
What is Darryl Eastlake doing these days?
Nine offers $30 million for rugby union broadcast rights
Zoe Samios
By Zoe Samios
October 18, 2020 — 7.34pm

Super Rugby union matches could be on free-to-air television live for the first time next year after Nine Entertainment Co lodged a $30 million bid for the broadcast rights aimed at wresting the game away from pay-TV group Foxtel.

Industry sources familiar with Rugby Australia's discussions with media companies who requested anonymity said Nine had offered to pay about $30 million a year in cash and free advertising. The television, publishing and digital company decided late last week to offer more cash than free advertising to sweeten the deal. Nine declined to comment. RA declined to comment.

Rugby Australia has struggled to grow the game due to a lack of exposure and poor recent performances by the Wallabies. It wants more matches on a free-to-air television network to build the sport's audience. All Super Rugby games are broadcast on Foxtel and subscription streaming service Kayo, making it difficult for the governing body to reach all potential fans.

Under the deal Nine (owner of this masthead) would broadcast Wallabies Tests, the Rugby Championship and one game a week of Super Rugby on its television network. All other matches would sit behind a paywall on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan. Industry sources said Rugby Australia is likely to make a decision on the broadcast deal at a Board meeting this week.
Advertisement

Former RA boss Raelene Castle was eager to get more free-to-air coverage for the sport to grow the sport's audience. Nine's offer is smaller than the bid incumbent broadcaster Foxtel made nearly two weeks ago. Industry sources familiar with the talks previously aid Foxtel had offered between $35-$40 million for the matches despite previous claims the pay TV operator did not believe the sport was worth that much. However, some Foxtel sources indicated they offered less than $35 million. Foxtel pays between $30 million to $40 million a year for the rights but was hoping to renegotiate price in the same way it landed new deals with the AFL and NRL.

Nine is hoping to do a deal with Rugby Australia for the broadcast rights to Super Rugby, Wallabies matches and the National Rugby Championship.

Foxtel has broadcast rugby games in Australia for two decades. The broadcaster, which runs Fox Sports, offered to sign a new five-year deal late last year but discussions fell apart earlier this year over the pricing. Foxtel has also reduced its rugby commentary budget in recent years and no longer has a mid-week show.

When talks first fell apart between RA and Foxtel earlier this year, Ms Castle approached Nine about a bid. A successful bid by Nine would also change the positioning of streaming service Stan, which currently runs international and local drama and film. Stan currently has 2 million subscribers, a large audience base for rugby union to try and attract. Kayo had 600,000 subscribers in September.

Any deal with the Nine would be short-term but if the involvement of Stan proves a success, it could open up the potential for other sports rights negotiations to include the streaming service in future. Such a move would put pressure on Foxtel which is heavily dependent on sport for subscribers.

Nine is the second free-to-air broadcaster to make an offer for the rights. Network Ten bid broadcast the Wallabies Tests last month but offered less than the $3.5 million a year it currently pays. Ten does not want to pay large amounts for the rights because of declining audiences. In 2015, the average audience for international Tests on Network Ten was about 345,000. In 2019 the audience figure was 194,000 and a lack of audience often results in less appeal for advertisers.

Network Ten's chief sales officer Rod Prosser said last week low-rating sport was of no benefit to the broadcaster. "Sport obviously attract advertisers, and particularly blue chip advertisers in droves. What our clients are mostly in now is the audience [a sport] delivers. Having a low rating sport, just for the sake of sport, is of no benefit to me."

One caveat on the value of the rights will be whether South Africa continues to participate in the Rugby Championship next year. South Africa confirmed last week it would not play in this year's tournament but rugby sources have indicated it is considering playing in a Northern Hemisphere competition next year. The Rugby Championship is a highly lucrative competition for the governing body and the absence of South Africa will reduce its value. Interim RA boss Rob Clarke said late last week he was confident that the Springboks would not exit the Rugby Championship for good from next year.

Foxtel, Ten and BSkyB are at the end of a $285m five-year deal with RA signed in 2015. Securing a new deal is crucial for the financial security of the code (a large amount of RA's revenue comes from broadcasters).
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

This will cost me more as I will need to subscribe to Stan as well as my current Foxtel subscription :(
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

grievous wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 am Nein looking closer to get the jersey. I wont miss Foxtel with the way they treat the game now, they really only focus on AFL/NRL.
What is Darryl Eastlake doing these days?
Nine offers $30 million for rugby union broadcast rights
Zoe Samios
By Zoe Samios
October 18, 2020 — 7.34pm

Super Rugby union matches could be on free-to-air television live for the first time next year after Nine Entertainment Co lodged a $30 million bid for the broadcast rights aimed at wresting the game away from pay-TV group Foxtel.

Industry sources familiar with Rugby Australia's discussions with media companies who requested anonymity said Nine had offered to pay about $30 million a year in cash and free advertising. The television, publishing and digital company decided late last week to offer more cash than free advertising to sweeten the deal. Nine declined to comment. RA declined to comment.

Rugby Australia has struggled to grow the game due to a lack of exposure and poor recent performances by the Wallabies. It wants more matches on a free-to-air television network to build the sport's audience. All Super Rugby games are broadcast on Foxtel and subscription streaming service Kayo, making it difficult for the governing body to reach all potential fans.

Under the deal Nine (owner of this masthead) would broadcast Wallabies Tests, the Rugby Championship and one game a week of Super Rugby on its television network. All other matches would sit behind a paywall on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan. Industry sources said Rugby Australia is likely to make a decision on the broadcast deal at a Board meeting this week.
Advertisement

Former RA boss Raelene Castle was eager to get more free-to-air coverage for the sport to grow the sport's audience. Nine's offer is smaller than the bid incumbent broadcaster Foxtel made nearly two weeks ago. Industry sources familiar with the talks previously aid Foxtel had offered between $35-$40 million for the matches despite previous claims the pay TV operator did not believe the sport was worth that much. However, some Foxtel sources indicated they offered less than $35 million. Foxtel pays between $30 million to $40 million a year for the rights but was hoping to renegotiate price in the same way it landed new deals with the AFL and NRL.

Nine is hoping to do a deal with Rugby Australia for the broadcast rights to Super Rugby, Wallabies matches and the National Rugby Championship.

Foxtel has broadcast rugby games in Australia for two decades. The broadcaster, which runs Fox Sports, offered to sign a new five-year deal late last year but discussions fell apart earlier this year over the pricing. Foxtel has also reduced its rugby commentary budget in recent years and no longer has a mid-week show.

When talks first fell apart between RA and Foxtel earlier this year, Ms Castle approached Nine about a bid. A successful bid by Nine would also change the positioning of streaming service Stan, which currently runs international and local drama and film. Stan currently has 2 million subscribers, a large audience base for rugby union to try and attract. Kayo had 600,000 subscribers in September.

Any deal with the Nine would be short-term but if the involvement of Stan proves a success, it could open up the potential for other sports rights negotiations to include the streaming service in future. Such a move would put pressure on Foxtel which is heavily dependent on sport for subscribers.

Nine is the second free-to-air broadcaster to make an offer for the rights. Network Ten bid broadcast the Wallabies Tests last month but offered less than the $3.5 million a year it currently pays. Ten does not want to pay large amounts for the rights because of declining audiences. In 2015, the average audience for international Tests on Network Ten was about 345,000. In 2019 the audience figure was 194,000 and a lack of audience often results in less appeal for advertisers.

Network Ten's chief sales officer Rod Prosser said last week low-rating sport was of no benefit to the broadcaster. "Sport obviously attract advertisers, and particularly blue chip advertisers in droves. What our clients are mostly in now is the audience [a sport] delivers. Having a low rating sport, just for the sake of sport, is of no benefit to me."

One caveat on the value of the rights will be whether South Africa continues to participate in the Rugby Championship next year. South Africa confirmed last week it would not play in this year's tournament but rugby sources have indicated it is considering playing in a Northern Hemisphere competition next year. The Rugby Championship is a highly lucrative competition for the governing body and the absence of South Africa will reduce its value. Interim RA boss Rob Clarke said late last week he was confident that the Springboks would not exit the Rugby Championship for good from next year.

Foxtel, Ten and BSkyB are at the end of a $285m five-year deal with RA signed in 2015. Securing a new deal is crucial for the financial security of the code (a large amount of RA's revenue comes from broadcasters).
Rugby on free-to-air TV would be huge.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

It would - but so is the gap between $285m and $150m.
What value is BSKYB or equivalent?

Given the likely revenue knock anyway the 10 option is marginally more likely to grow the game (there is no mention of NRC, Origin etc so not sure how grass roots this is) vs. Foxtel etc.
I think this value in this market is a positive outcome if secured.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am It would - but so is the gap between $285m and $150m.

Given the likely revenue knock anyway the 10 option is marginally more likely to grow the game (there is no mention of NRC, Origin etc so not sure how grass roots this is) vs. Foxtel etc.
FTA is priceless for rugby right now. Its been the holy grail the game has never had since the game was amateur, tests aside.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am It would - but so is the gap between $285m and $150m.

FTA is priceless for rugby right now. Its been the holy grail the game has never had since the game was amateur, tests aside.
My only issue is that Super Rugby won't be on FTA, aside from the one match. If RA is going to grow the game in Australia then Rugby needs to be on FTA TV week in, week out. The Wallaby tests are already on FTA so what is Nine offering isn't already happening?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Grievous - i agree but i think it is only one more game - a super rugby game - a week. Which is better but not holy grail - or am i mis-reading?

I thought RA brought rights for Shute Shield etc (i've watched 3 games i think - it's been ok on 7).
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 pm

My only issue is that Super Rugby won't be on FTA, aside from the one match. If RA is going to grow the game in Australia then Rugby needs to be on FTA TV week in, week out. The Wallaby tests are already on FTA so what is Nine offering isn't already happening?
Saturday evening FTA game into every household in Australia, and subsequent access to the sponsors that delivers.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Promoting it for a start. I dont watch Ten much, the 14 year old girl in me has grown up but I cant remember a promo on the test rugby which they currently hold the piddly rights to. Our league friends at Nein promo the hell out of ... well ...anything. It sounds like a trial for platforming sport for them much cheaper so they should give it a good go. Dont know the minutiae detail because either party are not commenting. Macca would be ensuring its not a dud.
Foxtel sure aren't doing anything for the game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

SFBB wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm Saturday evening FTA game into every household in Australia, and subsequent access to the sponsors that delivers.
Fans would still need to subscribe to Stan to follow their team. So it's not really a FTA sport, it's still a pay per view sport like it currently is.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Grievous - i agree but i think it is only one more game - a super rugby game - a week. Which is better but not holy grail - or am i mis-reading?

I thought RA brought rights for Shute Shield etc (i've watched 3 games i think - it's been ok on 7).
Im sure there are other games one game wouldn't cut it, its a leaked article right now so we will have to wait for the detail.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Fair point - that Foxtel aren't focusing on Rugby is a good reason to leave - they said they've not and won't *not tier 1 etc etc).
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:07 pm
SFBB wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm Saturday evening FTA game into every household in Australia, and subsequent access to the sponsors that delivers.
Fans would still need to subscribe to Stan to follow their team. So it's not really a FTA sport, it's still a pay per view sport like it currently is.
Thats the reality now neither can you see AFL or NRL in full FTA.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:05 pm Foxtel sure aren't doing anything for the game.
I'm not wedded to Rugby staying on Foxtel, they have taken Rugby for granted for years and treated it like a 3rd rate sport. But at least they cover all of the Rugby, SR, all tests, the RC, 6N, NZ Mitre 10 Cup etc. As a Rugby fan they provide all the content I want. I will have to pay more under the proposed new agreement because I'll need to subscribe to Stan as well as pay for my Foxtel scubscription.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:07 pm
It's a lot more access to the common man than ever before. That's what it offers.