Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

We need Petaia at 13. He always seems to make a break and then offload in the next tackle. We need the two wingers running off him.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 am :lol: What time is it in Sweden?
What did I say that you disagree with there? It's 11am. I watched the game with a cup of coffee, not a truck load of beer.
User avatar
Ellafan
Posts: 4640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Ellafan »

1. Scrum was OK, and lineout was better.

2. The ABs shaded the wobs in the breakdown, probably got more turnovers than the wobs (haven't checked the stats).

3. Wobs packed lacked urgency and violence hitting the ruck, compared with the ABs.

4. Hannigan had a good game, Simmons is a cream puff. White was either having a bad day, or was nullified easily.

5. Wobs inside backs backs lacked penetration, but then on the other hand, the ABs defence is pretty good, however ...

6. Wobs defence was shit today. In particular the outside back defence was turnstyles central. The answer to this problem is to try some not-Fijian wingers for a change. We have had a series of Fijian wingers over the years who look great on attack, but do not defend consistently well. That try where the wobs left wing stepped inside against an already marked attacker, leaving his man on the (Barrett) wing in space to score the try, would embarrass a half competent school boy.

7. JP looked way better than any of the 11,13 & 15 on the paddock today. Time for him to start. It's a pity it was Toomua who was injured -he made some great tackles out wide to paper over the cracks, just like Samu did last week.

Watching the wobs today was like eating American cheese.
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 5306
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

What's the outlook on Matt T?
I assumed that was end of TRC.
User avatar
mightyreds
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by mightyreds »

Definitely time for McDermott and Lolesio to get the call up on the bench to get at least 20-30 mins - if DR is serious about the 'Nail it, or you're out' bit, that is. JOC has been quite good, especially last week, but I have been going through a fantasy replay of the last minutes of Bled 1 in my head, where Lolesio is playing, calls for the ball in that fateful move, and drops a goal to win it. As for McDermott, his 'perceived' passing and kicking frailties (which I don't perceive) are minimal compared to the advantage provided by his ability to speed up the game, which is equalled by very few players on the international scene today. I see the backline bench next week as McDermott, Lolesio, Paisami (assuming Petaia starts) - Hodge seems to have been selected for several years now on the assumption that he will be called up at the 80th minute to take a long range kick and win the game - it hasn't happened yet, and it's like Waiting for Godot. Let's move forward.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Hopefully Petaia can string a few more games like that off the bench, to prove to you guys that he’s worthy of a spot in that backline.

I can only dream.....
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am When is the Argies' warmup game? Give some uncapped Wobs squad guys like Hosea and Lolesio a hit out.

For Bled III, Toomua should be rested. I'd be tempted to put JOC at 12 and have Brumbie halves: 10. Lolesio; 9.White/Powell

The pack in Bled II weren't good enough ... some changes + try some new blood before reaching a dead rubber ...

Bled III:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Philip
5 Hosea
6 LSL
7 Hooper
8 Wilson

9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu
15 DHP

16 Uelese
17 Sio
18 AAA
19 Simmons
20 Samu
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Paisami
Hodge, Powell...... sure you didn’t forget Jono Lance and Pek Cowan?
Fark off!! We’ve tried years of mediocre journeymen and it hasn’t gone great.

If Tate isn’t in the next squad I’ll lose my farkin’ mind. If Hodge, Simmons or DHP are in it I’ll stab someone with a star picket.

I’m sick of farkin’ losing.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 pm
kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am When is the Argies' warmup game? Give some uncapped Wobs squad guys like Hosea and Lolesio a hit out.

For Bled III, Toomua should be rested. I'd be tempted to put JOC at 12 and have Brumbie halves: 10. Lolesio; 9.White/Powell

The pack in Bled II weren't good enough ... some changes + try some new blood before reaching a dead rubber ...

Bled III:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Philip
5 Hosea
6 LSL
7 Hooper
8 Wilson

9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu
15 DHP

16 Uelese
17 Sio
18 AAA
19 Simmons
20 Samu
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Paisami
Hodge, Powell...... sure you didn’t forget Jono Lance and Pek Cowan?
Fark off!! We’ve tried years of mediocre journeymen and it hasn’t gone great.

If Tate isn’t in the next squad I’ll lose my farkin’ mind. If Hodge, Simmons or DHP are in it I’ll stab someone with a star picket.

I’m sick of farkin’ losing.
So you're still not sold on Hodge? Youre a bit silly sometimes towny.

Hodge is a gun. He's a one man match winner, a big dude, rocket launcher boot, solid defensively, hard runner, good under the high ball, plays his heart out every time, runs hard, has decent pace, is a penalty deterrent from 30000 meters out. What's not to like apart from his passing resemblance to an early 90s Michael Michael Rapaport?

I always thought he was decent but I'm starting to think he's better than decent and he's only 25. Latham was a nobody at 25 and the best fullback in the world a few years later given a chance.

Give Hodge a chance. He's a good player.
User avatar
The Optimist
Posts: 4855
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Chukity - puck!!!

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by The Optimist »

The term soft cocks springs to mind.

Rugby is a game of physicality, if you cannot put the hits in on defence, you are not going to make it. Slipped off so many tackles, the Blacks were busting them at will.

Ball security was atrocious. Stripped off the ball often and dropped the ball frequently.

Failed to bend the AB defence, lacked penetration.

I fail to understand why the Wobs are going to kick the ball out if they are not going to compete at the lineout. Only 1 time they competed at lineout.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 pm
kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am When is the Argies' warmup game? Give some uncapped Wobs squad guys like Hosea and Lolesio a hit out.

For Bled III, Toomua should be rested. I'd be tempted to put JOC at 12 and have Brumbie halves: 10. Lolesio; 9.White/Powell

The pack in Bled II weren't good enough ... some changes + try some new blood before reaching a dead rubber ...

Bled III:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Philip
5 Hosea
6 LSL
7 Hooper
8 Wilson

9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu
15 DHP

16 Uelese
17 Sio
18 AAA
19 Simmons
20 Samu
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Paisami
Hodge, Powell...... sure you didn’t forget Jono Lance and Pek Cowan?
Fark off!! We’ve tried years of mediocre journeymen and it hasn’t gone great.

If Tate isn’t in the next squad I’ll lose my farkin’ mind. If Hodge, Simmons or DHP are in it I’ll stab someone with a star picket.

I’m sick of farkin’ losing.
So you're still not sold on Hodge? Youre a bit silly sometimes towny.

Hodge is a gun. He's a one man match winner, a big dude, rocket launcher boot, solid defensively, hard runner, good under the high ball, plays his heart out every time, runs hard, has decent pace, is a penalty deterrent from 30000 meters out. What's not to like apart from his passing resemblance to an early 90s Michael Michael Rapaport?

I always thought he was decent but I'm starting to think he's better than decent and he's only 25. Latham was a nobody at 25 and the best fullback in the world a few years later given a chance.

Give Hodge a chance. He's a good player.
What match did Hodge win? He’s played a bunch of tests so there’d be a few examples, right?

Latham...... Hodge is nothing like him. Banks is though.
He’s not bad. But he’s not winning shit.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 pm
kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am When is the Argies' warmup game? Give some uncapped Wobs squad guys like Hosea and Lolesio a hit out.

For Bled III, Toomua should be rested. I'd be tempted to put JOC at 12 and have Brumbie halves: 10. Lolesio; 9.White/Powell

The pack in Bled II weren't good enough ... some changes + try some new blood before reaching a dead rubber ...

Bled III:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Philip
5 Hosea
6 LSL
7 Hooper
8 Wilson

9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu
15 DHP

16 Uelese
17 Sio
18 AAA
19 Simmons
20 Samu
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Paisami
Hodge, Powell...... sure you didn’t forget Jono Lance and Pek Cowan?
Fark off!! We’ve tried years of mediocre journeymen and it hasn’t gone great.

If Tate isn’t in the next squad I’ll lose my farkin’ mind. If Hodge, Simmons or DHP are in it I’ll stab someone with a star picket.

I’m sick of farkin’ losing.
So you're still not sold on Hodge? Youre a bit silly sometimes towny.

Hodge is a gun. He's a one man match winner, a big dude, rocket launcher boot, solid defensively, hard runner, good under the high ball, plays his heart out every time, runs hard, has decent pace, is a penalty deterrent from 30000 meters out. What's not to like apart from his passing resemblance to an early 90s Michael Michael Rapaport?

I always thought he was decent but I'm starting to think he's better than decent and he's only 25. Latham was a nobody at 25 and the best fullback in the world a few years later given a chance.

Give Hodge a chance. He's a good player.
What match did Hodge win? He’s played a bunch of tests so there’d be a few examples, right?

Latham...... Hodge is nothing like him. Banks is though.
He’s not bad. But he’s not winning shit.
He came within a turn of wind of the greatest Bledisloe win possibly in living memory, or ever.

I think it's important to consider the possibilities, not the unfortunate result. Whether that kick went in or not, the threat and potential and advantage to having him in the side is obvious, and for more reasons that just that. All the other stuff I said too.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Oh, so he’s a match winner that’s yet to win a match? Potentially he’s a match winner - I think you could say that about anyone and he just as accurate.

He’s played 33 tests - how many until he snares us a win? I’m not saying he’s shit, but he hasn’t achieved much and I can’t imagine he’ll start soon.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 pm Oh, so he’s a match winner that’s yet to win a match? Potentially he’s a match winner - I think you could say that about anyone and he just as accurate.

He’s played 33 tests - how many until he snares us a win? I’m not saying he’s shit, but he hasn’t achieved much and I can’t imagine he’ll start soon.
If it were not for the flap of a butterfly's wings in Wales or an errant fart in the grand-stand, you'd be singing a different tune. He would have been the hero of the greatest Wallaby win in recent memory. How many players you would select have even come close to winning a match like that? Have any of the other outside backs?

And regardless of that incident, you sort-of are saying he's shit questionig his selection on the bench. I'd have him in the team regardless of the potential he demonstrated in Bled 1. At the very least on the bench, if not starting.

If Rennie sticks to his strategy of dropping under-performers without mercy (and I'm far from convinced it's the best strategy, just saying), then Koriebete probably won't start the next match. I'd would not be worried at all to see Hodge given a start. In fact, I'd be glad of it.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 pm
kiap wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 am When is the Argies' warmup game? Give some uncapped Wobs squad guys like Hosea and Lolesio a hit out.

For Bled III, Toomua should be rested. I'd be tempted to put JOC at 12 and have Brumbie halves: 10. Lolesio; 9.White/Powell

The pack in Bled II weren't good enough ... some changes + try some new blood before reaching a dead rubber ...

Bled III:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Philip
5 Hosea
6 LSL
7 Hooper
8 Wilson

9 Powell
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu
15 DHP

16 Uelese
17 Sio
18 AAA
19 Simmons
20 Samu
21 White
22 Hodge
23 Paisami
Hodge, Powell...... sure you didn’t forget Jono Lance and Pek Cowan?
Fark off!! We’ve tried years of mediocre journeymen and it hasn’t gone great.

If Tate isn’t in the next squad I’ll lose my farkin’ mind. If Hodge, Simmons or DHP are in it I’ll stab someone with a star picket.

I’m sick of farkin’ losing.
So you're still not sold on Hodge? Youre a bit silly sometimes towny.

Hodge is a gun. He's a one man match winner, a big dude, rocket launcher boot, solid defensively, hard runner, good under the high ball, plays his heart out every time, runs hard, has decent pace, is a penalty deterrent from 30000 meters out. What's not to like apart from his passing resemblance to an early 90s Michael Michael Rapaport?

I always thought he was decent but I'm starting to think he's better than decent and he's only 25. Latham was a nobody at 25 and the best fullback in the world a few years later given a chance.

Give Hodge a chance. He's a good player.
What match did Hodge win? He’s played a bunch of tests so there’d be a few examples, right?

Latham...... Hodge is nothing like him. Banks is though.
He’s not bad. But he’s not winning shit.
The one where he scored a length of the field try versus the all blacks?
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

It’ll take a while for Towny to merge off Banks. Can’t rush it.

It depends how hard he Dumbledore’d the guy in the first place. :lol:


Me? I’ve got no such ethics. I’m prepared to say I’ve always liked Wilson. No worries.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:14 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 pm Oh, so he’s a match winner that’s yet to win a match? Potentially he’s a match winner - I think you could say that about anyone and he just as accurate.

He’s played 33 tests - how many until he snares us a win? I’m not saying he’s shit, but he hasn’t achieved much and I can’t imagine he’ll start soon.
If it were not for the flap of a butterfly's wings in Wales or an errant fart in the grand-stand, you'd be singing a different tune. He would have been the hero of the greatest Wallaby win in recent memory. How many players you would select have even come close to winning a match like that? Have any of the other outside backs?

And regardless of that incident, you sort-of are saying he's shit questionig his selection on the bench. I'd have him in the team regardless of the potential he demonstrated in Bled 1. At the very least on the bench, if not starting.

If Rennie sticks to his strategy of dropping under-performers without mercy (and I'm far from convinced it's the best strategy, just saying), then Koriebete probably won't start the next match. I'd would not be worried at all to see Hodge given a start. In fact, I'd be glad of it.
I would have dropped MK for this game and played the best team. Hodge shouldn’t be on the bench - he simply doesn’t offer the impact. He can come on and be mediocre in multiple positions. Hopefully Rennie has seen enough and brings in someone else. I’d personally be looking at a 6/2 bench. Someone like McReight would provide genuine impact.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm It’ll take a while for Towny to merge off Banks. Can’t rush it.

It depends how hard he Dumbledore’d the guy in the first place. :lol:


Me? I’ve got no such ethics. I’m prepared to say I’ve always liked Wilson. No worries.
I’m not that big on Banks, but he’s going okay at the moment. When I say he is ‘like’ Latho, I meant that he actually plays like him. He has the same running style. Sadly doesn’t have the freakishness, but he’s probably caught more balls under pressure in the last 2 games than Beale did in 10 years.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:02 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:14 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 pm Oh, so he’s a match winner that’s yet to win a match? Potentially he’s a match winner - I think you could say that about anyone and he just as accurate.

He’s played 33 tests - how many until he snares us a win? I’m not saying he’s shit, but he hasn’t achieved much and I can’t imagine he’ll start soon.
If it were not for the flap of a butterfly's wings in Wales or an errant fart in the grand-stand, you'd be singing a different tune. He would have been the hero of the greatest Wallaby win in recent memory. How many players you would select have even come close to winning a match like that? Have any of the other outside backs?

And regardless of that incident, you sort-of are saying he's shit questionig his selection on the bench. I'd have him in the team regardless of the potential he demonstrated in Bled 1. At the very least on the bench, if not starting.

If Rennie sticks to his strategy of dropping under-performers without mercy (and I'm far from convinced it's the best strategy, just saying), then Koriebete probably won't start the next match. I'd would not be worried at all to see Hodge given a start. In fact, I'd be glad of it.
I would have dropped MK for this game and played the best team. Hodge shouldn’t be on the bench - he simply doesn’t offer the impact. He can come on and be mediocre in multiple positions. Hopefully Rennie has seen enough and brings in someone else. I’d personally be looking at a 6/2 bench. Someone like McReight would provide genuine impact.
I suspect you are going to be dissapointed. I expect to see more of both Hodge and Hanigan.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Didn’t you say that about Fainga’a?
I told you he was a potato.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:07 pm Didn’t you say that about Fainga’a?
I told you he was a potato.
... Samu too? :roll:

I predicted Fainga'a would get picked, which he did. I didn't say he'd stay there if he bricked it.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm
towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:07 pm Didn’t you say that about Fainga’a?
I told you he was a potato.
... Samu too? :roll:

I predicted Fainga'a would get picked, which he did. I didn't say he'd stay there if he bricked it.
You said he was the best hooker. They wear number 2 btw.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm
towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:07 pm Didn’t you say that about Fainga’a?
I told you he was a potato.
... Samu too? :roll:

I predicted Fainga'a would get picked, which he did. I didn't say he'd stay there if he bricked it.
You said he was the best hooker. They wear number 2 btw.
I said he was the straightest thrower, and selecting a hooker that can't throw straight is too much of a liability at Test level, so he gets the nod by default. I was certainly right about the second thing, although I was hoping he wouldn't be the one to prove that point.

It's not as if you've got a great record predicting selections here towny, so maybe step back old son.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:06 pm
shanky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm It’ll take a while for Towny to merge off Banks. Can’t rush it.

It depends how hard he Dumbledore’d the guy in the first place. :lol:


Me? I’ve got no such ethics. I’m prepared to say I’ve always liked Wilson. No worries.
I’m not that big on Banks, but he’s going okay at the moment. When I say he is ‘like’ Latho, I meant that he actually plays like him. He has the same running style. Sadly doesn’t have the freakishness, but he’s probably caught more balls under pressure in the last 2 games than Beale did in 10 years.
He is incapable of making a break against an organised defence.
Beale could do that.

Don’t knock KB, Banksy-boi
:x
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:02 pm
towny wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:06 pm
shanky wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm It’ll take a while for Towny to merge off Banks. Can’t rush it.

It depends how hard he Dumbledore’d the guy in the first place. :lol:


Me? I’ve got no such ethics. I’m prepared to say I’ve always liked Wilson. No worries.
I’m not that big on Banks, but he’s going okay at the moment. When I say he is ‘like’ Latho, I meant that he actually plays like him. He has the same running style. Sadly doesn’t have the freakishness, but he’s probably caught more balls under pressure in the last 2 games than Beale did in 10 years.
He is incapable of making a break against an organised defence.
Beale could do that.

Don’t knock KB, Banksy-boi
:x
Banks has had one good game, one ordinary game (in which he still was fantastic under the high ball and kicked the sidelines well)

Bit early to chuck him on the scrap heap no?

Its clear he's not adjusted to the higher pace of the game the ABs bring. Will he adjust? No idea.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

Banks did not inject himself well once throughout both games. We know he has jet shoes but he just hasn’t been there. Maybe hes not reading the play well or has not been included in any set plays? The second is unlikely. Both DHP and Hodge are more elusive in traffic.
What about Maddocks? We need someone who can run off Petaia.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20057
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by shanky »

Even Banks’ mum would describe him as ‘solid’
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

DHP and Hodge are more solid, both also with decent cannons. Well, DHPs is more of a howitzer.
Even if his Mum claims he is solid, which is a bit off, that will not keep him in the jersey.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7277
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

I haven't watched the last match due to other commitments and Australia losing, but clearly we need Tate in against a tired defence. Gordon is a waste of time.

Hodgey at 15, like I was originally calling for, as well as JOC to 12 and Loleosio to 10 if Toomua is out. Pack can stay the same. JP in, obviously.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

TBF, maybe he gets another shot but must contribute something in attack. His Mum is on the money and he has been solid.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Zakar »

What about Simone to 12? He's a bit stouter than JOC at 12, and adds an additional crashball option.

I see Simone/Petaia as our eventual centre combo.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

If Toomua is out then Simone as a straight swap makes more sense than switching JOC to 12 and bringing in Lolesio at 10. Lolesio comes onto the bench as 10/12 sub and hopefully gets some time at 10 towards the end of the game. Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 19919
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiap »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:44 am
kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
I’ve never seen White miss so many tackles. A couple of breaks down the blind side were due to be misses.

Tate can tackle..... just saying. 😎
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 5306
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Not sure it’s right but the stats had that Nick White made 2 runs on Saturday- for 0 (zero) run metres.

That’s vs 7 runs for +40 metres the week before.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 7277
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Bindi »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:44 am
kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
I’ve never seen White miss so many tackles. A couple of breaks down the blind side were due to be misses.

Tate can tackle..... just saying. 😎
White missed 5 from 11 tackles according to the SMH. It’s Tate time.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:44 am
kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
I’ve never seen White miss so many tackles. A couple of breaks down the blind side were due to be misses.

Tate can tackle..... just saying. 😎
I was referring to being able to actually tackle Clarke. White has to be there. Tate on the bench for mine. Gordon not up to it.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12264
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:44 am
kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
I’ve never seen White miss so many tackles. A couple of breaks down the blind side were due to be misses.

Tate can tackle..... just saying. 😎
I was referring to being able to actually tackle Clarke. White has to be there. Tate on the bench for mine. Gordon not up to it.
Geezus what does this bloke need to do to catch a break? He should have thirty Wallaby caps by now, but he's been unlucky his whole career, he plays 20 minutes and does pretty well and you're ready to throw him under the bus?

I'll have Gordon every day of the week over Tate until Tate learns the basic scrumhalf skills. fudge I'd have Gordon over White, although White's kicking and all round game was great for Bledisloe 1.

Yes, he's a fine runner, and a courageous defender. But he's a half-back. And fwiw, Gordon is also an excellent running scrum-half.
towny
Posts: 18729
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:44 am
kiap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 am
Olo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am Petaia at 13 will stiffen up our defence out wide.
Not sure about that.

Clarke to skittle the Wobs backline again is more likely.
White was the most effective tackler. Clarke is a problem but we could start by not kicking the pill too him. Shut down his space early.
I’ve never seen White miss so many tackles. A couple of breaks down the blind side were due to be misses.

Tate can tackle..... just saying. 😎
I was referring to being able to actually tackle Clarke. White has to be there. Tate on the bench for mine. Gordon not up to it.
Gordon was better than White on the weekend. White was woeful.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 5980
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by Olo »

I’m going to have to watch it again. My impression watching it live was that White was not as good as the previous week, but also that Gordon had no direction when he came on. By then they had lost their shape and he was not able to bring it back.
Post Reply