Wallabies 2020 thread

All things Rugby
kiap

Re: Wallabies 2020 thread

Post by kiap »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm I don't mind the design but whoever chose to make those bits white is mental. It hurts my eyes to look at it.

They should have been gold, obviously, or a different shade of green.
This can be the saltwater people version.

On field, it will look alright.

grievous

Post by grievous »

kiap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm I don't mind the design but whoever chose to make those bits white is mental. It hurts my eyes to look at it.

They should have been gold, obviously, or a different shade of green.
This can be the saltwater people version.

On field, it will look alright.

Ahh but no flags...®
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I like it.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It's better against that light.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I hope it works like the others.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful to the indigenous inclusion. I think it is a wonderful concept and it does seem to give our teams a lift in intensity. The jersey looks good and I am in the camp of it should be adopted full time.
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

I like the design. But it needs to be green and gold, not aqua and white. What were they thinking.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Yes, if we adopt it as the full time jersey then definitely green and gold. I think the first one was the best.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm It wouldn't have mattered. Had he not come in Goodhue would've scored. It was the inside defenders fault, shouldn't have let Goodhue get on his outside.
No. The outside man sticks to his man so as not to gift an overlap. It is a fundamental thing that 10 year olds learn.

IIRC the inside defender got to him, BTW, but it doesn't matter, the winger should have stayed on his man.
towny

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:53 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm It wouldn't have mattered. Had he not come in Goodhue would've scored. It was the inside defenders fault, shouldn't have let Goodhue get on his outside.
No. The outside man sticks to his man so as not to gift an overlap. It is a fundamental thing that 10 year olds learn.

IIRC the inside defender got to him, BTW, but it doesn't matter, the winger should have stayed on his man.
Yeah. That’s what I learned anyway.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It was a mistake sure, but I'm saying Goodhue would've scored anyway. The only reason the inside defenders got to Goodhue is because Goodhue slowed down once he knew he had created the overlap.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Olo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:30 am I hope it works like the others.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful to the indigenous inclusion. I think it is a wonderful concept and it does seem to give our teams a lift in intensity. The jersey looks good and I am in the camp of it should be adopted full time.
What right do we have to play in a jersey that celebrates our indigenous heritage when we have so few indigenous players in our game?
Olo

Post by Olo »

We as Australians have every right to acknowledge and celebrate our indigenous heritage and I am certain that those directly of indigenous descent appreciate Rugby Australia doing so. We are all able and encouraged to play the game.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Also the lack of indigenous players has more to do with other sports being more popular in indigenous communities due to history, access, high profile rather than Rugby not trying to attract them. There's a Lloyd McDermott team around too.
shanky

Post by shanky »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 am

What right do we have to play in a jersey that celebrates our indigenous heritage when we have so few indigenous players in our game?
The same reason that every event or school assembly starts with an Acknowledgement of country. :thumbup:
grievous

Post by grievous »

CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 am Also the lack of indigenous players has more to do with other sports being more popular in indigenous communities due to history, access, high profile rather than Rugby not trying to attract them. There's a Lloyd McDermott team around too.
ARU/RA haven't done nearly enough. Waiting for a prodigy to go through Joey's doesn't cut it. LM program is actually a good scheme though not sure if these players are making it through to seniors.
Rugby development is thin on the ground where lots of these juniors could play, eg country.
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 am

Jesus Christ!

We are Australian ffs. This is a key part of our heritage, if not our culture.
towny

Post by towny »

grievous wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 am Also the lack of indigenous players has more to do with other sports being more popular in indigenous communities due to history, access, high profile rather than Rugby not trying to attract them. There's a Lloyd McDermott team around too.
ARU/RA haven't done nearly enough. Waiting for a prodigy to go through Joey's doesn't cut it. LM program is actually a good scheme though not sure if these players are making it through to seniors.
Rugby development is thin on the ground where lots of these juniors could play, eg country.
Spot on.
gurudoright

Post by gurudoright »

What is the consensus of the bored if the Wallabies take a knee on Saturday, as alluded by the ABCNEWS
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-22/ ... y/12803510
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Unrealistic, rugby can barely support 4 professional teams. Let's face it, that ship has sailed. Kids are drawn to AFL/NRL/CRICKET. Any increase in funding to juniors should be to support current junior competitions rather than pouring it down the drain creating new comps in the country.

Obviously this takes into account limited funds. If RA had $1 billion then go ahead throw it at the country and you have a chance.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:20 am
Unrealistic, rugby can barely support 4 professional teams. Let's face it, that ship has sailed. Kids are drawn to AFL/NRL/CRICKET. Any increase in funding to juniors should be to support current junior competitions rather than pouring it down the drain creating new comps in the country.

Obviously this takes into account limited funds. If RA had $1 billion then go ahead throw it at the country and you have a chance.
Aboriginals in cricket?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:32 am

Aboriginals in cricket?
Surely, you guys weren't imagining "all aborigine" junior comps are you? That's fantasy.

I was talking about country comps where aboriginal kids can join. Those comps won't happen because of lack of players.
towny

Post by towny »

Do you not realise that a big chunk of Australia’s greatest sports people are from the ‘country’? The ‘country’ includes cities with populations over $100k and big numbers of playing juniors and seniors. There isn’t a single development officer in North Queensland - a region that breeds champion sportspeople like rabbits. Indigenous champions like Cathy Freeman, Gordon Tallis, Matty Bowen, Patrick Johnson.... they’re everywhere up there. Few whities go alright too.

There is more rugby talent in Australia than just 12 or so schools.
towny

Post by towny »

CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:38 am

Aboriginals in cricket?
Surely, you guys weren't imagining "all aborigine" junior comps are you? That's fantasy.

I was talking about country comps where aboriginal kids can join. Those comps won't happen because of lack of players.
Where are you talking? Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Fraser Coast, Darling Downs.... these places have comps already. And that’s just Queensland.
towny

Post by towny »

Aboriginals in cricket?
Jason Gillespie..... think that’s about it.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 am I like it.
+1. I'd make the ingenous jersey the jersey.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The money should be going to supporting existing comps rather than try to create new ones in other communities. Obviously increasing the catchment will increase indigenous representation at the top level but the financial power isn't there.
grievous

Post by grievous »

gurudoright wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 am What is the consensus of the bored if the Wallabies take a knee on Saturday, as alluded by the ABCNEWS
Commented this morning, dont do it. Just play rugby.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Thats the facts if having indigenous players is important then they have to do more work in the bush.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:29 am It was a mistake sure, but I'm saying Goodhue would've scored anyway. The only reason the inside defenders got to Goodhue is because Goodhue slowed down once he knew he had created the overlap.
Which in no way negates the principle - outside defenders stick to your man and trust the inside defender, and cover tacklers to do their job.

I suspect that Rennie knows his fundamentals, and the winger under discussion is in selection difficulty. Or should be.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

gurudoright wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 am What is the consensus of the bored if the Wallabies take a knee on Saturday, as alluded by the ABCNEWS
They should do it during haka.
shanky

Post by shanky »

grievous wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am
I disagree

I'd be OK with it. Just IMO
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm
grievous wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am
I disagree

I'd be OK with it. Just IMO
What do you think of the idea that, after the haka, in tests in Oz, it is appropriate for there to be a welcome to country ceremony?

I'd think 3-4 minutes would suffice to dissipate the pysche up effect the ABs get from their war dance.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I’m sure that some of you read the articles on Rugbyheaven today. First NFJ stating it would be ridiculous because we don’t have a race divide issue in this country and that it would be risky?? Then Glen Ella telling him he was an idiot.
Risky for who, the elitist white rugby types and their control of the game?

I’m OK with it too, if that is what the team decides to do. If they decide not to do it then that’s fine too. Their choice and nothing to do with NFJ, RA or anyone else.
towny

Post by towny »

CrazyIslander wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 am The money should be going to supporting existing comps rather than try to create new ones in other communities. Obviously increasing the catchment will increase indigenous representation at the top level but the financial power isn't there.
Agree!

But the money doesn’t go to these comps and RA does nothing to engage with the Indigenous kids that could potentially get involved.
towny

Post by towny »

Isn’t it weird that those that supported the bigotry of Folau - demanding that it was his freedom or speech - are now condemning the ‘knee’, because it’s...... reasons that were very different than they used for Folau.

I can’t put my finger on what it is about these people that makes them champions of liberty one minute and strict conformists the next.

What could it be? 🤔
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm Isn’t it weird that those that supported the bigotry of Folau - demanding that it was his freedom or speech - are now condemning the ‘knee’, because it’s...... reasons that were very different than they used for Folau.

I can’t put my finger on what it is about these people that makes them champions of liberty one minute and strict conformists the next.

What could it be? 🤔
Wouldn't free speech involve letting them kneel or not kneel?

My opinion is that I would kneel, even though I think it's kind of stupid. American police behaving badly towards African Americans who were slaves not that very long ago is horrific stuff, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with me.

Colin Kaperneck (or whoever) taking a knee to make a statement is fine and I applaud him, but we shouldn't suddly be pressuring every sports person on television to kneel "or you're a racist!". F-ck off. Stop judging people, take a look at yourself, go and do something real about it if you care so much instead of commanding other people you insufferable social justice warrioring bores.

But also, on the other hand, it takes 10 seconds and I don't think I'd be f-cked making a big hoo-har out of it. I can't help but think those who "refuse" are taking themselves a bit too seriously. "I kneel to no man!". Yeah okay Sir Gallahad, whatever. Just kneel down you self-rightious tit. Even if it is kind of dumb, it might make someone else feel better, it's over with in 10 seconds then you can al get down to the real business of rugby.

So in short, I see both sides.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:04 pm
towny wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm Isn’t it weird that those that supported the bigotry of Folau - demanding that it was his freedom or speech - are now condemning the ‘knee’, because it’s...... reasons that were very different than they used for Folau.

What could it be? 🤔

My opinion is that I would kneel, even though I think it's kind of stupid. American police behaving badly towards African Americans who were slaves not that very long ago is horrific stuff, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with me.

Colin Kaperneck (or whoever) taking a knee to make a statement is fine and I applaud him, but we shouldn't suddly be pressuring every sports person on television to kneel "or you're a racist!". F-ck off. Stop judging people, got and do something about it for f-cks sake.

So I do get all of that. But also, it takes 10 seconds and I don't think I'd be f-cked making a big hoo-har out of it. I can't help but think those who "refuse" are taking themselves a bit too seriously. "I kneel to no man!". Yeah okay Sir Gallahad, whatever. Just kneel down even if it is kind of dumb, but it might make someone else feel better. It's over with in 10 seconds then let's get down to the real business of rugby.
You start by saying you would kneel and then spend the rest of your post detailing why others shouldn’t.

The plight of Indigenous Australians is imho the greatest crisis facing Australia. Not Covid or China or even Global Warming. One part of the issue is their high incarceration rate, mistreatment by police and high rates of deaths in custody.

We’re no different from America.
kiap

Post by kiap »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:07 pm

What could it be? 🤔

Colin Kaperneck (or whoever) taking a knee to make a statement is fine and I applaud him, but we shouldn't suddly be pressuring every sports person on television to kneel "or you're a racist!". F-ck off. Stop judging people, got and do something about it for f-cks sake.

So I do get all of that. But also, it takes 10 seconds and I don't think I'd be f-cked making a big hoo-har out of it. I can't help but think those who "refuse" are taking themselves a bit too seriously. "I kneel to no man!". Yeah okay Sir Gallahad, whatever. Just kneel down even if it is kind of dumb, but it might make someone else feel better. It's over with in 10 seconds then let's get down to the real business of rugby.
You start by saying you would kneel and then spend the rest of your post detailing why others shouldn’t.
In fairness, his last para is telling non-believers to just shut up and kneel.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:07 pm

What could it be? 🤔

The plight of Indigenous Australians is imho the greatest crisis facing Australia. Not Covid or China or even Global Warming. One part of the issue is their high incarceration rate, mistreatment by police and high rates of deaths in custody.

Actually interestingly their deaths in custody rate is no higher than any other inmate cohort, but because they are over represented in prison populations, it seems higher.

Other than that, I agree with your point.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:39 pm
towny wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:07 pm The plight of Indigenous Australians is imho the greatest crisis facing Australia. Not Covid or China or even Global Warming. One part of the issue is their high incarceration rate, mistreatment by police and high rates of deaths in custody.

Actually interestingly their deaths in custody rate is no higher than any other inmate cohort, but because they are over represented in prison populations, it seems higher.

Other than that, I agree with your point.
Same same. But different.