POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Mick Mannock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:26 pm Oh Jesus you have to see the new Lincoln Project ad. I'll find a link.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1321107677368430593
My hope is that they laughed cynically the whole time they were putting that together. My fear is that they didn't.
A masterpiece of creative milksoppery.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:44 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:26 pm Oh Jesus you have to see the new Lincoln Project ad. I'll find a link.

:lol:

Some twats spent money on that shite.
Come on. Everything about that was awesome.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:46 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Some twats spent money on that shite.
Come on. Everything about that was awesome.
Kid and his mother are half-wits for reasons that should not need explaining.

Which means the scriptwriters are even stupider.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Zico wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:08 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:37 pm I also have no issue with the supreme court pick.

Trump may have picked her, but doesn't mean she owes him. After all he can't remove her and has zero leverage on her.
Would you have her on our SC or ECJ panel?

Look at what's happening in Poland. There's an insidious movement to repeal hard fought liberties behind closed doors by loading courts with ultra conservatives who don't reflect the values of the people.

I don't do conspiracy theories, but there you go.
There is a difference though. The US has a constitution and the supreme court is really there to ensure that it's protected or that new statutes are not unconstitutional.

Now what DOB says could be a big issue: If say a stacked DEMs executive and legislative introduce a new law on Obamacare, a conservative supreme court could judicial review it and find ways to interpret it as unconstitutional.

In saying that, those judges won't want to be centre of attention and will not want to be called into judicial review along party lines for every single law made.
merry!

Post by merry! »

If I answer a knock on my door and am confronted by two men, one of whom has dogshit smeared on his shoe and the other of whom is not only smeared all over and dripping with faeces but is actively shitting himself as he stands there, then I don't want to let either man into my house. But if I had to choose, then I'd prefer the guy with some shit on his shoe.

you must live in a weird neighbourhood/have some weird mates.

or is it just fantasy..
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

merry! wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm
If I answer a knock on my door and am confronted by two men, one of whom has dogshit smeared on his shoe and the other of whom is not only smeared all over and dripping with faeces but is actively shitting himself as he stands there, then I don't want to let either man into my house. But if I had to choose, then I'd prefer the guy with some shit on his shoe.

or is it just fantasy..
If they are not wittering on about golf clubs, sunlit uplands, Dunkirk, unicorns etc, it is faeces-smeared Deliveroo drivers.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 pm Who knows how she votes if a case is brought
Exactly. It was a Reagan appointee that essentially ensured gay marriage by judicial fiat after all.

Plenty of conservatives have been annoyed by Roberts' decisions too; he's hardly gone party line.

And it's not unheard of for long-tenured justices to shift ideologically over the decades. In all likelihood she'll be there until at least 2050.
She is a perfectly acceptable legal expert
towny

Post by towny »

CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm
DOB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:46 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:55 pm I don't know any sane people who have a problem with the court pick. I'm a Catholic conservative.

I have a problem with a Russian stooge and Turkish dick sucker in the Oval.
She's going to turn over Obamacare, which will boot 10s of millions of Americans off their health insurance.
Maybe next time those people will vote. They got the politicians they deserved and now live with the consequences. Don’t get me wrong, I do have empathy for their plight, but I also feel bad for the forklift drivers at work that should have worked harder at school.

Americans made their bed. It’s not up to a judge to save them from themselves. She is going to do what a Clinton judge would never have done.
Yeah, the hate for Hilary by some Dems and neutrals was ridiculous. Here was a person who spent her life fighting for social justice and the values they claim to share and the abandoned her for a conman.
Yeah. I didn’t rate her much, but I would have held my nose to vote for her over a tv reality star and a GOP that sold its soul to Murdoch. Those that went the high moral ground, by staying at home and pining for Bernie and those that weren’t engaged enough to vote, are the reason they are in the deep shit. That’s life.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Hindsight's a bitch. Plenty of people never expected Trump to be the kind of President he actually turned out to be.
merry!

Post by merry! »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm
merry! wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm

or is it just fantasy..
If they are not wittering on about golf clubs, sunlit uplands, Dunkirk, unicorns etc, it is faeces-smeared Deliveroo drivers.
and nazis. 4071 sees nazis, you know.

they're everywhere, apparently.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:20 pm
CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:55 pm I don't know any sane people who have a problem with the court pick. I'm a Catholic conservative.

She's going to turn over Obamacare, which will boot 10s of millions of Americans off their health insurance.
Maybe next time those people will vote. They got the politicians they deserved and now live with the consequences. Don’t get me wrong, I do have empathy for their plight, but I also feel bad for the forklift drivers at work that should have worked harder at school.

Americans made their bed. It’s not up to a judge to save them from themselves. She is going to do what a Clinton judge would never have done.
Yeah, the hate for Hilary by some Dems and neutrals was ridiculous. Here was a person who spent her life fighting for social justice and the values they claim to share and the abandoned her for a conman.
Yeah. I didn’t rate her much, but I would have held my nose to vote for her over a tv reality star and a GOP that sold its soul to Murdoch. Those that went the high moral ground, by staying at home and pining for Bernie and those that weren’t engaged enough to vote, are the reason they are in the deep shit. That’s life.
Literally millions of people about to get f**ked did vote for Clinton. They just lost.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:49 pm
fatcat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm
Just supposing Biden had Trump's policies and Biden's characteristics and Trump had Biden's policies and Trump's characteristics, who would you prefer to be pres?
That's actually a pretty good question. That really does feel like Sophie's Choice.

Obviously I would oppose a Biden with Trump policies. I don't think that highly of Biden, and a bunch of shit and harmful policies wrapped in a less offensive packaging would still be shit. But would I actually support a Trump with Biden policies? I very much doubt it.

First, because Trump is a narcissistic sociopath, and even if he espoused policies I agreed with I could not trust him to follow through on them. Second because Biden's policies aren't that exciting and worth putting up with a plum like Trump for.

I would vote neither.

But if I had no third option and had to pick one or the other, I suppose I would reluctantly be marginally less angered by a Trump-like character with better policies. But in terms of a choice, this feels like asking me which eyeball I would rather have gouged out by a spoon.
This is a very interesting post, as you ultimately arrive at the same conclusion that many GOP voters did: support the asshole that agrees with my worldview. Which is fair, I might add.

So while you might not agree with that worldview, if you happened to hold some version of it yourself, you would have voted for him.

For all the talk of "how could anyone vote for Trump", MAGA die hards aside, I think this shows it. You don't need to be a maniac. Unless you consider being conservative to be a categorically invalid position of course.
Zico

Post by Zico »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Literally millions of people about to get f**ked did vote for Clinton. They just lost.
Literally the populations of European countries or American states voted for Hillary over the alternative.

Minority rule doesn't end well.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I really struggle to see why people think that will be the outcome of that case, but given that the scaremongering has been off the charts it shouldn’t be that surprising.

To paraphrase Graham, if I’m wrong come back and use my words against me.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

So can Biden get Georgia, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania ?

You'd imagine that would do it
Santa

Post by Santa »

There is a split emerging amongst centrist liberals essentially based on a) how dangerous you perceive the woke left to be and b) how much Trump you can stomach.

The weighting seems to vary so you get the Andrew Sullivan types who fear the woke left but are unable to get beyond their manners and will therefore vote Biden. Under that logic the woke left is dangerous but Trump is worse and they hope Biden can stand up to it, so they will vote for the guy who isn't opposing the woke left in the hopes that he will stand up rather than the guy who is opposing the woke left because they can't take the chaos. It's pretty naive I would say. Biden, incidentally, might not be wokety woke but Harris is all in and so are many of the people who depend on Biden being in power for their own power. Those are the dangerous ones.

On the other side you have the nose holders like James Lindsay who see the woke left as an existential threat and are therefore going with the guy with the balls to take it on however personally unappealing he is.

I don't know how large that constituency is but that discussion right there is actually the key one.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

If Biden wins he will be a one term president. I think that much is certain.

And with all due respect to Joe, he's not a good candidate but this presidential election is really a referendum on another Trump term. We know the majority are sick of him, but are the majority in the states that matter?
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

If Biden wins does Trump have to attend the inauguration?
towny

Post by towny »

Cabbage wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:49 pm If Biden wins does Trump have to attend the inauguration?
Hope he does dressed in orange.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm If Biden wins he will be a one term president. I think that much is certain.

And with all due respect to Joe, he's not a good candidate but this presidential election is really a referendum on another Trump term. We know the majority are sick of him, but are the majority in the states that matter?
And we are off :lol:
towny

Post by towny »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm If Biden wins he will be a one term president. I think that much is certain.

What do you mean he’s not a good candidate? So far he’s cleaned the clock of Bernie and looks set to trounce Trump without breaking a sweat. Maybe America just wants a steady, predictable hand after 4 years of crazy?

Joe is winning bigly, despite the nonsense propaganda and baseless attacks on his family. He hasn’t taken the bait and jumped in the gutter, which I’m sure was what the GOP hoped for. He’s stayed above it and largely on message. Looks like he’s a good candidate to me.
Last edited by towny on Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm

If you don't think Biden will win the popular vote by a lot , you clearly haven't a breeze how the system works over there
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 pm

What do you mean he’s not a good candidate? So far he’s cleaned the clock of Bernie and looks set to trounce Trump without breaking a sweat. Maybe America just wants a steady, predictable hand after 4 years of crazy?

Joe is winning bigly, despite the nonsense propaganda and baseless attacks on his family. He hasn’t taken the bait and jumped in the gutter, which I’m sure was what the GOP hoped for. He’s stayed above it and largely on message. Looks like he’s a good candidate to me.
I don't think he's all there cognitively. I still want him to win though. I hate Trump
towny

Post by towny »

If they count all the votes, Biden will win the popular vote by 8 figures. Biggest blow-out in decades.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:08 pm If they count all the votes, Biden will win the popular vote by 8 figures. Biggest blow-out in decades.
I often wonder does Mick know the difference between electoral college vote and popular vote? He wouldn't confuse them would he?
towny

Post by towny »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:07 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 pm

I don't think he's all there cognitively. I still want him to win though. I hate Trump
I see what you mean. I agree fwiw. His campaign manager is doing a hell of a job.

Not sure who’s running Trump’s carnival shit-show this week. Last bloke is still in jail. As is the one before that actually. Bannon looking at joining them soon. Can’t wait until the Trumps have their own wing at the big house.
towny

Post by towny »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:08 pm If they count all the votes, Biden will win the popular vote by 8 figures. Biggest blow-out in decades.
I often wonder does Mick know the difference between electoral college vote and popular vote? He wouldn't confuse them would he?
Mick only knows what Sean Hannity told him to say. He’s the dumbest cnut on the bored, but has fooled himself into thinking he’s clever because he saw some YouTube videos.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:12 pm
Mick only knows what Sean Hannity told him to say. He’s the dumbest cnut on the bored, but has fooled himself into thinking he’s clever because he saw some YouTube videos.
And reads parler where hicks of a similar mindset converse
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mr Mike wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm

I really struggle to see why people think that will be the outcome of that case, but given that the scaremongering has been off the charts it shouldn’t be that surprising.

To paraphrase Graham, if I’m wrong come back and use my words against me.
Nobody knows yet what the outcome will be, and Roberts has saved Obamacare before when Kennedy swung to the right. But that was before Trump appointed 3 conservatives to replace 1.5 liberals; Roberts would have to bring Gorsuch along with him somehow.

They might not strike down the whole law, but if they boot the individual mandate, the law is kinda holed beneath the water.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I am well aware of the difference. It is your arrogant assumption about the majority being sick of Trump that I take issue with.

And I will never be the dumbest poster on here whilst Towny draws breath.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm So can Biden get Georgia, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania ?

There’s a blizzard of slanted information out there. And hard to see through it. Key will be Florida but I’ll take that to the President’s thread I think.

More interested in the senate to be honest. Without it the Dems can’t undo much of might need to be from their perspective that Trump did and there will be a chunk of disfunction. Welcome back to government shutdowns.
Last edited by Flockwitt on Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:17 pm
I am well aware of the difference. It is your arrogant assumption about the majority being sick of Trump that I take issue with.

It's not an assumption. If there were a popular vote he'd be gone
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

You do not know that until all the votes are counted.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Flockwitt wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 pm So can Biden get Georgia, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania ?

There’s a blizzard of slanted information out there. And hard to see through it. Key will be Florida but I’ll take that to the President’s thread I think.

More interested in the senate to be honest. Without it the Dems can’t undo much of might need to be from their perspective that Trump did and there will be a chunk of distinction. Welcome back to government shutdowns.
Even if they get the senate, they'll only have 2 years to get their agenda through as the GOP will get it back with the next set of elections in 2 years. The house seems safe Dem for another 2 years.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Eh Mick the majority population live in California and eastern seaboard into New England. Those are by and large blue states. Of course Biden is going to win popular vote by a much bigger margin than Hillary did.

But it's the electoral college vote that matters. I dont believe you understand how it works. I'm shocked!!!!!
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Ah, we do, though, don't we, Mick.
puku

Post by puku »

Flockwitt wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 pm

More interested in the senate to be honest. Without it the Dems can’t undo much of might need to be from their perspective that Trump did and there will be a chunk of disfunction. Welcome back to government shutdowns.
Florida is key for Trump. If he does not take it he will likely be toast.

Biden only has to take WI, MI and PA from Trump to win the college. In all three of those states he has been consistently ahead of Trump in the polls. Trump's path is so much narrower for victory if he loses Florida. I just don't see any states that went for Clinton in 2016 not going for Biden in 2020.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

That is incredible.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

No to Georgia, possibly the other 2.

Pennsylvania is key this time imo. Whoever wins that wins the election.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Considering the majority of people who voted last time around didn't vote for Trump the statement is perfectly correct. of course you really don't operate in a state I like to call "reality".

The question, as others have stated, is will people vote against Trump in enough numbers in the right States to toss the current President out of office ... oh and to face his creditors.