Welcome to Hell ... eastern Australia

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: Welcome to Hell ... eastern Australia

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Shrekles wrote:A years worth of inflow into water storage already apparently

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/weat ... 53zn0.html
Not great news really as it will really delay any meaningful work on water usage.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

and give climate change deniers a glimmer of something to cling to in their stubborness
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

And now ... got a snake on the garden.
I hate snakes (it’s common non dangerous type)....
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Shrekles wrote:and give climate change deniers a glimmer of something to cling to in their stubborness
That’s already in full swing :lol:

There’s a Facebook page called Nuffies in Australian Politics. Oh my word :shock: :o
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

kiwigreg369 wrote:And now ... got a snake on the garden.
I hate snakes (it’s common non dangerous type)....
M8. M8888888. Stop living up to the Kiwi stereotype. Embrace the fear. Master it.

Many decades ago an idiot mate of mine used to catch snakes for keeping / sale and his best customers were Kiwi fellas he worked alongside at the meatworks.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Fark that ... hate them. Last time I had a snake in the garden it was when I lived in Capetown - hated it then as well....
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Even people who see snakes are quarantined when they return home KG - stay away for 6 months
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

The lucky country.

Fires, floods, deadly snakes, poisonous spiders, sharks, Queensland accents, stingers, extreme heat, Victoria bitter. If you are still alive at the end of the day you're lucky!
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

guy smiley wrote:
Shrekles wrote:and give climate change deniers a glimmer of something to cling to in their stubborness

There’s a Facebook page called Nuffies in Australian Politics. Oh my word :shock: :o
What are 'nuffies'?
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

6.Jones wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

What are 'nuffies'?
A term invented by the intellectually elite so they can laugh and make fun of all the thickos and I’m assuming their idiotic political leanings. I may have read this wrong though
These sorts of things normally end well so far we have Boris Trump ScoMoe and now the Sinners
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

jambanja wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

What are 'nuffies'?
A term invented by the intellectually elite so they can laugh and make fun of all the thickos and I’m assuming their idiotic political leanings. I may have read this wrong though
These sorts of things normally end well so far we have Boris Trump ScoMoe and now the Sinners
I first heard the term back in the 80s and certainly not from the ‘intellectual elite’. It was aimed at the thick-as-pigshit and had no political connotations whatsoever.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

MungoMan wrote:
jambanja wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

What are 'nuffies'?
I first heard the term back in the 80s and certainly not from the ‘intellectual elite’. It was aimed at the thick-as-pigshit and had no political connotations whatsoever.
Fair enough, have you seen the Fb page Guy was talking about, it has evolved, the term I mean.
Just as a matter of interest when one group makes up a name, normally derogatory or abusive, about another group, do you not think they think themselves superior to the other group?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

jambanja wrote:Just as a matter of interest when one group makes up a name, normally derogatory or abusive, about another group, do you not think they think themselves superior to the other group?
Not at all. It may simply mean you dislike that group. Like derogatory nicknames for rugby teams that consistently beat you, like the All Jerks. [that's an example, I don't call them the All Jerks, I call them the Dimness]. Or derogatory nicknames for oppressors, who may occupy a socially superior position to you. Prisoners call prison guards screws, for example.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

6.Jones wrote:
jambanja wrote:Just as a matter of interest when one group makes up a name, normally derogatory or abusive, about another group, do you not think they think themselves superior to the other group?
Not at all. It may simply mean you dislike that group. Like derogatory nicknames for rugby teams that consistently beat you, like the All Jerks. [that's an example, I don't call them the All Jerks, I call them the Dimness]. Or derogatory nicknames for oppressors, who may occupy a socially superior position to you. Prisoners call prison guards screws, for example.
But as has been pointed out these people have been given their name because of their intellectual challenges, or as mungo put it “thick as pig shit”, which suggests to me that the ones giving them this moniker do so from a position of perceived superiority
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It’s been co-opted from the Nuffies of the AFL page. It’s not about intellect... it’s about Australian humour :smug:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

jambanja wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
But as has been pointed out these people have been given their name because of their intellectual challenges, or as mungo put it “thick as pig shit”, which suggests to me that the ones giving them this moniker do so from a position of perceived superiority
Not at all. The people giving the monicker may have been thicker than pig shit, and fuming - literally - with envy.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

guy smiley wrote:It’s been co-opted from the Nuffies of the AFL page. It’s not about intellect... it’s about Australian humour :smug:
Sweet, no worries then
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

6.Jones wrote:
jambanja wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Not at all. The people giving the monicker may have been thicker than pig shit, and fuming - literally - with envy.
🤔 🧐🤯
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

New Federal government ad covering the response. Finally some admission there's an issue.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I hear Scomo is now very popular in Australia
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Anonymous. wrote:I hear Scomo is now very popular in Australia
:lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Smoke cloud from Australian summer’s bushfires three-times larger than anything previously recorded
Cloud measured 1,000km across, travelled 66,000km and was on par with ‘strongest volcanic eruptions in the past 25 years’, scientists say

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... y-recorded
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Just another reason to resent Australia then.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

What a difference a year makes. We are now in a La Niña cycle and have had large amounts of rainfall and a huge amount of growth in the burned areas.

I also received a premiers citation last week for fire fighting in last season - nice to get the recognition.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Shrekles wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:24 am What a difference a year makes. We are now in a La Niña cycle and have had large amounts of rainfall and a huge amount of growth in the burned areas.

I also received a premiers citation last week for fire fighting in last season - nice to get the recognition.
Well done. Thanks for your efforts. :thumbup:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Well done big fella.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Shrekles wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:24 am What a difference a year makes. We are now in a La Niña cycle and have had large amounts of rainfall and a huge amount of growth in the burned areas.

Nice one mate :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Well done Shrekles.

Another Kiwi making Straya a better place. :thumbup:
kiap

Post by kiap »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:23 am
jambanja wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

What are 'nuffies'?
Correct. It was coined many decades ago in Melbourne, probably in the form of 'nuff nuff'. It originally referred to -
dare I say it - the mentally retarded or as you say, just someone thick as pigshit. Comes from the phrase 'enough, enough' when dealing with such. It was common slang in the Victoria Police.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Going to be hot and dry this week in the Eastern States. You'd have to think that this will be bushfire weather. There's been a fire on Fraser island burning for weeks caused by an illegal camp fire.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

The bushfire danger is ramping up this week but it is nowhere near as bad as the same time last year. It is nice to get a bit of a respite in and train all the new volunteers that have joined up since last season.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Shrekles wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:48 pm The bushfire danger is ramping up this week but it is nowhere near as bad as the same time last year. It is nice to get a bit of a respite in and train all the new volunteers that have joined up since last season.
Stay safe bud!
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Mate, this year is a doddle compared to last year - I haven't had a callout out in well over a month.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

How much of the bush haa grown back?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Shrekles wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 am Mate, this year is a doddle compared to last year - I haven't had a callout out in well over a month.
Enjoy the quiet time.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:58 am How much of the bush haa grown back?
Depends where you go. Epicormic growth on gum trees is remarkable.

Unfortunatly the weeds pop up too bloody quickly too.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:20 am Well done Shrekles.

You including yourself in that. When did you leave ?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

Australia?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Zakar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:58 am How much of the bush haa grown back?
Depends where you go. Epicormic growth on gum trees is remarkable.

Unfortunatly the weeds pop up too bloody quickly too.
Good hear though.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:19 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

Australia?
Albuquerque