"Our fans are morons" - Sam Cane

All things Rugby
brat

Re: "Our fans are morons" - Sam Cane

Post by brat »

He’s right if you take social media as your sample population which he probably is

90% of the comments are either meaningless rara ‘go the abs’/don’t criticise the mighty Abs..or terrible analysis based on knowing nothing about the game -including the laws of the game

And that’s why we all post here Instead..
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:11 am TBF, Chikka is probably a good fit once you take away the actual responsibility of running a team or anything to do with tactics. He can just concentrate on things he has in common with the Puma players like passion and being both hairy and bald at the same time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially that last sentence, wtaf :lol:
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:03 am

NZ fans do have unrealistic expectations. NZ is not as good as it has been / doesn't have the volume of quality players that we have had in the past. I think that's ok to recognise.

Critical for me is than when you play a team that hasn't played in a year you should execute better than they do.
I've been trying to argue this in the Foster thread. New Zealand still produces a conveyor belt of good talent but it can't be generation defining all of the time and currently it is. Someone posted the 2015 team and it is and was vastly superior to every aspect of the 2019 side. Yet somehow fans still expect the same results "if only the right coach was picked". It's chasing rainbows here. Humans can't just be coached to be world class consistently, the talent must be there.
Disagree. A well coached team that plays as a team will often get results which performs above what you might expect when you look at the individuals who make up the team. Greater than the sum of its parts if you will. Its nice to have a DC, BBBR or McAwe, but there are plenty of AB teams who have not had superstars, but still dealt to the opposition. That comes down to good coaching.

And even if the talent is not there, you would still expect an AB team to put their guts on the line and not turn in such a poor performance...TWICE in a row.

It seems these guys just expected the opposition to roll over. And then didn't have a plan B.

The buck stops with Fozzie.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

obelixtim wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:09 am
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:03 am

NZ fans do have unrealistic expectations. NZ is not as good as it has been / doesn't have the volume of quality players that we have had in the past. I think that's ok to recognise.

Critical for me is than when you play a team that hasn't played in a year you should execute better than they do.
I've been trying to argue this in the Foster thread. New Zealand still produces a conveyor belt of good talent but it can't be generation defining all of the time and currently it is. Someone posted the 2015 team and it is and was vastly superior to every aspect of the 2019 side. Yet somehow fans still expect the same results "if only the right coach was picked". It's chasing rainbows here. Humans can't just be coached to be world class consistently, the talent must be there.
Disagree. A well coached team that plays as a team will often get results which performs above what you might expect when you look at the individuals who make up the team.
A well coached team won't beat a good team whoa re well coached and playing better.

Greater than the sum of its parts if you will. Its nice to have a DC, BBBR or McAwe, but there are plenty of AB teams who have not had superstars, but still dealt to the opposition. That comes down to good coaching.

And even if the talent is not there, you would still expect an AB team to put their guts on the line and not turn in such a poor performance...TWICE in a row.

It seems these guys just expected the opposition to roll over. And then didn't have a plan B.

The buck stops with Fozzie.
The lack of plan B is in the ABs DNA, it goes at least back to 2007. If it helps not many teams have a plan B beyond maybe kick more or kick better. Especially when opponents forwards are fronting up in a big way.

Largely because the time it takes to prep test team and the complicated nature of the game doesn't allow many teams to get a genuinely unique one. As it goes what team genuinely has a different plan if things don't work with the first one? I can't think of one. At the most a coach will change a player for one who will do certain aspects of the game better. But that is more about improving execution of an aspect of the team rather than a different game plan. ANd it onlyw orks if the new player can improve things.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

This Cane chappie reminds me of his compatriot Freyberg on Crete - all the phlegm and poise of a one-winged seagull.

Not Officer material.

:thumbdown:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 am This Cane chappie reminds me of his compatriot Freyberg on Crete - all the phlegm and poise of a one-winged seagull.

Not Officer material.

:lol:
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

A well coached team won't beat a good team whoa re well coached and playing better.
Maybe not, but you would at least expect them to not play like a bunch of spackers.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am
MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 am This Cane chappie reminds me of his compatriot Freyberg on Crete - all the phlegm and poise of a one-winged seagull.

Not Officer material.

backrow

Post by backrow »

jdogscoop wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:14 am Over on NPR "Ymx" had a thought-provoking response to this piece.
So
- they had a clinical edge before the game
- critical fans really don’t know anything
- they were also exhausted, 5 games 6 weeks.
- being away from home is exhausting
- they’re not excuses but they’re true

Clinical edge before the game but then after result tired and home sick. Not listening to any criticism, those people know nothing.

I’m not exactly inspired by this. Especially the “non” excuses. And how’s the team going to cope with a World Cup with so many games together and away from home.

I won’t even go in to the angle that the games are likely more condensed so they could get home for Christmas holidays.
5 games in 6 weeks isn’t especially arduous , and I doubt the away from home thing meant they were sleeping in a hedge. Argentina were away and hadn’t had any game time so were in perhaps a worse situation. Cane saying that is a bit disrespectful to the Argies and their achievement.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Always knew that he is a great judge of character
handyman

Post by handyman »

Who are the other choices for captain?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

handyman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am Who are the other choices for captain?
Whitelock would be the obvious, but they were looking to build for the next RWC by which time he'd be in his mid 30's.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:55 am
handyman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am Who are the other choices for captain?
Whitelock would be the obvious, but they were looking to build for the next RWC by which time he'd be in his mid 30's.
Whitelock looks like the kind of bloke who can only count to ten using his fingers.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am
Whitelock looks like the kind of bloke who can only count to ten using his fingers.
Yes, quite - this is what a rugger captain should look like.

handyman

Post by handyman »

:thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Rugby captains should be forwards. That guy is too well groomed and smug, must be a back, probably a Scrum Half.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

Nothing quite like a thread slagging off Kiwi rugby fans and a few losses to bring out other nation's 'fans' acting like cocks.

Well done Thomas. All class.
backrow

Post by backrow »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Rugby captains should be forwards. That guy looks like a complete cûnt, must be a Scrum Half.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

why has he got a kiddies' mallet over his shoulder?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

SilverGrin wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm Nothing quite like a thread slagging off Kiwi rugby fans and a few losses to bring out other nation's 'fans' acting like cocks.

Well done Thomas. All class.
Sorry? Where have I slagged off Kiwi fans?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Not Officer material.

For once a post of yours that isn't totally idiotic as the analogy might actually work.

Dumped on the field by his incompetent commander Foster, like Freyberg was by his British superiors; poorly equipped again due to his incompetent commander Foster, like Freyberg due to his incompetent British superiors; let down by the stupidity of some of his teammates on the field, much like Freyberg was let down by Hargest on the field.

Add to that the heroics Cane has shown on the field in the past, like Freyberg on the battlefields in the past.

The best part about it is that the NZ Div became one of the most effective divisions for the Brits after Crete - so I can only assume you're predicting AB success in the future.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Rugby captains should be forwards. That guy looks like a complete cûnt, must be a Scrum Half.
[/quote]

MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Not Officer material.

For once a post of yours that isn't totally idiotic as the analogy might actually work.

Dumped on the field by his incompetent commander Foster, like Freyberg was by his British superiors; poorly equipped again due to his incompetent commander Foster, like Freyberg due to his incompetent British superiors; let down by the stupidity of some of his teammates on the field, much like Freyberg was let down by Hargest on the field.

Add to that the heroics Cane has shown on the field in the past, like Freyberg on the battlefields in the past.

The best part about it is that the NZ Div became one of the most effective divisions for the Brits after Crete - so I can only assume you're predicting AB success in the future.
Come on, old fruit, Freyberg let the side down on Crete, to the Empire's eternal shame.

Nearly as bad as the Aussies running around like headless chickens in Singapore.

Hats off to your chappies for putting in a good show after that, though.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Not Officer material.

Is Sam Whitelock Kippenberger in this analogy?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Cane is too thuggish and petulant to be a great captain.
Also he's not the calibre of player NZ are used to at flanker.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Thomas wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:00 am :shock:

Strong words from the captain.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tri-na ... XJ5O27L2E/
Sam Cane has spoken out about some of the All Blacks' "brutal" fans following the side's second straight defeat and first loss to Argentina over the weekend.

Speaking on Sky Sport's The Breakdown, Cane talked about various topics including criticism over coach Ian Foster, where the All Blacks went wrong and the difficulties of the side's schedule in 2020.

Cane also touched on the backlash from some fans, who he says might not know as much about rugby as they think.

"We've got some amazing fans but we've also got some pretty brutal ones," he said. "With that you've just got to remind yourself 'hey, they may like to think they know a lot about the game of rugby, in reality they don't really'. They may know the game from what they see in the 80 minutes, but they don't see the stuff that goes on behind the scenes."

Blah blah blah...
Spoiler: show
The 28-year-old captain also backed Foster, who has come under-fire after the All Blacks' two losses.

Under Foster, the All Blacks have won two of their first five games with defeats to the Wallabies in Brisbane followed by Saturday's 25-15 loss to Argentina in Parramatta.

"I've personally been very impressed with Foz," Cane said.

"He's given us really clear focusses about what we need to get better at, it doesn't feel as if we are bogged down and don't have the answers. A week's a long time in sport, it was only two weeks ago everyone was singing praises.

He also said he has the backing of the side as skipper.

"To me, if I'm having my leadership questioned, the opinions which matter to me are my team mates' and the coaches, who I work with every single day. I've got a lot of confidence from them that we're on the right track," he added.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel whenever I post here.

I feel your pain Sam.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

It reads like a haskell social media post.

It's not a great kiwi side but every man and his dog knows the wrong guy got the coaching job.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Never thought I'd hear the day when the All Black captain blamed a loss to Argentina on having lots of "new dads".

Emasculated.

Absolutely emasculated.

backrow

Post by backrow »

MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 pm Never thought I'd hear the day when the All Black captain blamed a loss to Argentina on having lots of "new dads".

Emasculated.

Absolutely emasculated.

Emasculated ? They need a god damn Victoria cross each, tupping up kiwi birds !
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

backrow wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 pm
MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 pm Never thought I'd hear the day when the All Black captain blamed a loss to Argentina on having lots of "new dads".

Emasculated.

Absolutely emasculated.

Fair point.

Possibly the sheer lack of boffable totty has got to them in the end?

Difficult to retain the motivation to rule the world when the reward is shagging one of the Addams family.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:25 pm
"We've got some amazing fans but we've also got some pretty brutal ones," he said. "With that you've just got to remind yourself 'hey, they may like to think they know a lot about the game of rugby, in reality they don't really'. They may know the game from what they see in the 80 minutes, but they don't see the stuff that goes on behind the scenes."
That's pretty much exactly how I feel whenever I post here.

I feel your pain Sam.
He'd also be referring to the kiwi versions of Mog there, Mog.

Does the average punter (like me and, especially, you ;)) know every intricacy of top-level rugby? Hell no ... but we can see when it ain't working.

Cane is factually right. But, putting that out there after being smacked, he's not very bright. It'll come back on his own head.
booze

Post by booze »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:15 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:11 am TBF, Chikka is probably a good fit once you take away the actual responsibility of running a team or anything to do with tactics. He can just concentrate on things he has in common with the Puma players like passion and being both hairy and bald at the same time.
What is his area of expertise in the Puma camp? Fire and brimstone was seemingly all he had until the players tired of it.
Specialist ‘swearing in English’ consultant.

Cane has made a mistake in berating fans like this. It won’t be forgotten.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

booze wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Cane has made a mistake in berating fans like this. It won’t be forgotten.
You lot have been whinging about Jordie at 14 for months. This is the team pushing back. :nod:
shanky

Post by shanky »

MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Not Officer material.

Come on, old fruit, Freyberg let the side down on Crete, to the Empire's eternal shame.

Nearly as bad as the Aussies running around like headless chickens in Singapore.

Hats off to your chappies for putting in a good show after that, though.
This, from the guy who tried to be an economic refugee to Australia, but got turned down

Couldn’t pass the test to get in here, or NZ

Oh dear. The sourest grapes are the best grapes.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

MrDominator wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Emasculated.

Absolutely emasculated.

Fair point.

Possibly the sheer lack of boffable totty has got to them in the end?

Difficult to retain the motivation to rule the world when the reward is shagging one of the Addams family.
Seems harsh.

The wife of superstar 10 and underwear model Dan Carter is lovely.

backrow

Post by backrow »

The fûcking state of that beeeg heeed !
shanky

Post by shanky »

Imagine being Irish, but pretending to be English

Oh, the shame.
shanky