The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Flametop

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

I think we could employ Shane Byrne as lineout throwing coach. The opposition out halves seem to know we are going to throw it to them.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

camroc1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm Farrell has been head coach for a wet week, much of which was spent in Covid lockdown.

I'm not shy about calling out coaches, but I do like to give them a fair chance first.
I'm no drama queen but when a lad picking two lumps and then playing flat isn't a "he tried something" situation. It's a what the fùck sort of professional coach does that situation.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Jumper wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 am
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 pm Twice at the end Murray passed flat to Farrell and both times he punched a hole over the gainline.

Like that is really basic stuff.

Big lad, play flay. Like really basic.
That was when Murray took things on himself and began to bypass the empty jersey at 10. It was great leadership from Murray after his introduction.
You're a geeky spa on the internet. Quit pretending you're a real man.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:09 pm
Flametop wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:03 pm Have to say that even England’s smaller players smashed our bigger ones.

Limited team but terrific defence both individually and as a unit.
Yeah I do also firmly believe they are juiced to their eyeballs
Do you honestly believe that we're squeaky clean?

:lol:
Are we just shit at juicing as well.

Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Winnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm
hermie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm Everything thrown at him?
Solid, certainly in comparison to Stockdale
Nonsense
Stockdale has as many negatives against France as Keenan had today
Stockdale has 4 times the positives against France as Keenan had today
Nonsense.

For evidence I cite one poster. Winnie something
It was only in sixth form did he blossom and he was a classy centre
I do think he lacks courage
He looks afraid of getting hurt and still reminds me very much of a medallion B player in that aspect
Nobody who isn't a gobshite could accuse Keenan of lacking courage.

This little plan the Nordies have of waiting two weeks and then claiming Jacob had a stormer isn't going to fly.

Earl also basically called him a chickenshit.

Spare us like. I was actually less harsh on the lad than you boys were before you decide to circle the wagons.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

That is so cute and even a little bit proud that mullet spent his Saturday night searching my posts
I’ll admit I’m one of jacobs biggest critics basically because I know how good he can be but i can see his problem areas
With his flaws he still offers more potential than any of the back 3 options
The thing Leinster fans seem to struggle with is that you can support a player and also point out his flaws
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Also Keenan had 1.5 stormer games producing 1 try
Jacob had had(according to Leinster fan) 0 stormer games and has 2 tries
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 am
camroc1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm Farrell has been head coach for a wet week, much of which was spent in Covid lockdown.

I'm not shy about calling out coaches, but I do like to give them a fair chance first.
I'm no drama queen but when a lad picking two lumps and then playing flat isn't a "he tried something" situation. It's a what the fùck sort of professional coach does that situation.
Tried to answer it earlier, but I agree, if you're trying to pass the ball beyond an umbrella defence, Aki and Farrell wouldn't be the centres you'd pick.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Winnie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:18 am That is so cute and even a little bit proud that mullet spent his Saturday night searching my posts
I’ll admit I’m one of jacobs biggest critics basically because I know how good he can be but i can see his problem areas
The thing Leinster fans seem to struggle with is that you can support a player and also point out his flaws
I love how this is now the stock line whenever you confront somebody with their own posts.

Would you like to know the extent of it there tech genius? I clicked your name I click searched posts I typed the word afraid and sure enough, second post.

Now that may constitute spending my might searching but let's face it. Wouldn't be the first time Ulster rewrote history. Another two weeks and Stockdale will have had France on the ropes.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 am
Winnie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:18 am That is so cute and even a little bit proud that mullet spent his Saturday night searching my posts
I love how this is now the stock line whenever you confront somebody with their own posts.

Would you like to know the extent of it there tech genius? I clicked your name I click searched posts I typed the word afraid and sure enough, second post.

Now that may constitute spending my might searching but let's face it. Wouldn't be the first time Ulster rewrote history. Another two weeks and Stockdale will have had France on the ropes.
Don't think anyone stated Stockdale had France on the ropes.

Winnie shouldn't be getting himself too worried, it isn't the 1st Leinster youngster with average skills to be hyped up as the next big thing, he'll soon disappear until the next young hope comes through.

They're just annoyed they haven't produced a pair of wingers like Trimble and Bowe, nevermind Stockdale and Bacloune.

Big quick and athletic. It's in the genes. :nod:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

If you think the first positional fullback we have is going to disappear you know as much about rugby as this soccer head.

This is the first time in two years we were able to stand up to Englands kick and chase game.

You know your rugby so cut the one eyed bullshit, picking a lad who is poor positionally and who his own supports consider a chicken is nonsense.

It's like picking a prop who can't scrummage because he has nice hands.

Every position has job one and unless you are flat out lying you know the lads issues. Try to point to France as a one off and I'll take "my whole morning" to search "Toulouse Stockdale and tackle".

Wanting a guy picked you know needs a good dropping and a bollocking because he's your boy is sooo Irish rugby :lol:
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 am

Don't think anyone stated Stockdale had France on the ropes.

Winnie shouldn't be getting himself too worried, it isn't the 1st Leinster youngster with average skills to be hyped up as the next big thing, he'll soon disappear until the next young hope comes through.

They're just annoyed they haven't produced a pair of wingers like Trimble and Bowe, nevermind Stockdale and Bacloune.

Big quick and athletic. It's in the genes. :nod:
The irony of you of all people talking about 'hyped up' players from other provinces is hilarious.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I know right.

We need a new ball playing centre and its Hume clearly because the lads who haven't lost a league game for 1.5 seasons arent up to it.

Frawley etc
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

If I was the Nordies I would strike out on their own like the footballers. Good luck and I hope the whole Brexit thing and the thing with the Shinners goes well. Now that's that sorted
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

What’s Faz’s scope like to bring in lads to the squad given the rules around covid bubbles etc.?
We really need H. Byrne, Casey, Frawley and a few others to shake things up.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

EverReady wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am If I was the Nordies I would strike out on their own like the footballers. Good luck and I hope the whole Brexit thing and the thing with the Shinners goes well. Now that's that sorted
I bet you’d miss seeing PoM belting out Ireland’s Call with all of his pashun and honesty though.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

We are bringing D Ryan back for ultra gurning
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

EverReady wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 am We are bringing D Ryan back for ultra gurning

He's signed for Randalstown this morning on a 2 year deal.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

When I heard Ian McKinley had gone back to the mothership I fücked out all my goggles
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

Even our hashtags are dogshit at the moment, #TeamOfUs :uhoh:
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Did anyone really expect anything different?
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am Did anyone really expect anything different?
Not Mr Farrell anyway
hermie

Post by hermie »

If I was Farrell I would be trying to hire Jared Payne as a defence coach, let Easterby go back to his old role and replace Catt with Lancaster. To hire from within might be the path of least resistance. But in reality instead of wrecking the provinces to plug holes in the Ireland ship, Irish rugby would be better served trying to get a McCall or a Scott Robertson and letting them pick their backroom. Poaching Gibbes and ROG from La Rochelle, who are doing great and know Irish rugby very well, could be another option.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

I am not going to put myself through watching that game again, but would be interested to know CJ’s stats. Although they never tell the full story- you need Murray K’ s fullbore ruck involvements, positive etc for a better snapshot.

Don’t think I heard his name once. Struggling to recall him being on the ball. Albeit I was watching Ch4 and having to listen to Nolly whatserface doing a Meg Ryan impression anytime Itoje raised an eyebrow. Spent the second half wishing Fla’ would just fcuk his media career away by asking her if she’d managed to find her g-spot yet.

Was he just buried in the donkey shit of having to support his front five or was he just having a ‘mare? He is the most consistent forward in the country generally. Odd one.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

hermie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am If I was Farrell I would be trying to hire Jared Payne as a defence coach, let Easterby go back to his old role and replace Catt with Lancaster. To hire from within might be the path of least resistance. But in reality instead of wrecking the provinces to plug holes in the Ireland ship, Irish rugby would be better served trying to get a McCall or a Scott Robertson and letting them pick their backroom. Poaching Gibbes and ROG from La Rochelle, who are doing great and know Irish rugby very well, could be another option.
Gibbe won't coach in Ireland again. Burnt his bridges after the Ulster debacle.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Nope. Leo and Lancaster will go to Ireland and Murphy will go to Leinster. Here first
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

redderneck wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am having to listen to Nolly whatserface doing a Meg Ryan impression anytime Itoje raised an eyebrow. Spent the second half wishing Fla’ would just fcuk his media career away by asking her if she’d managed to find her g-spot yet.
You are getting cancelled so hard.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:49 am Nope. Leo and Lancaster will go to Ireland and Murphy will go to Leinster. Here first
Leo doesn’t want Ireland yet and he’s right because there’s nowhere to go after Ireland - look at Kidney and EOS now. We’re stuck with this chancer for a few years as the IRFU are too broke to pay him off. Thankfully we have some good new players coming through
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

redderneck wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am I am not going to put myself through watching that game again, but would be interested to know CJ’s stats. Although they never tell the full story- you need Murray K’ s fullbore ruck involvements, positive etc for a better snapshot.

Don’t think I heard his name once. Struggling to recall him being on the ball. Albeit I was watching Ch4 and having to listen to Nolly whatserface doing a Meg Ryan impression anytime Itoje raised an eyebrow. Spent the second half wishing Fla’ would just fcuk his media career away by asking her if she’d managed to find her g-spot yet.

Was he just buried in the donkey shit of having to support his front five or was he just having a ‘mare? He is the most consistent forward in the country generally. Odd one.
I think we have to face the reality that the Boks really know their rugby. They recognised him as a very good player who just lacks the last few percent to be a truly world class backrow. The top teams have all contained him easily over the past years.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The pressure will get to great next year and off he'll go. Need to poach a few more lads first
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am Did anyone really expect anything different?
Given the selection they did better than I expected. England did take the foot off the gas in the second half though. It was a mismatch
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm The pressure will get to great next year and off he'll go. Need to poach a few more lads first
Unless he resigns I just can’t see how the IRFU could afford it, they’re close to bankruptcy
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am What’s Faz’s scope like to bring in lads to the squad given the rules around covid bubbles etc.?
Killer
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan (captain)
Baird
Doris
Connors
Coombes
Casey
Harry Byrne with Healy on at half time
Frawley
fudge knows
Lowe
Stockdale
JOB

For Georgia would at least show a coach who realises that we need to fundamentally rebuild the team
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am What’s Faz’s scope like to bring in lads to the squad given the rules around covid bubbles etc.?
Killer
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan (captain)
Baird
Doris
Connors
Coombes
Casey
Harry Byrne with Healy on at half time
Frawley
fudge knows
Lowe
Stockdale
JOB

For Georgia would at least show a coach who realises that we need to fundamentally rebuild the team
Someone posted in jest but if fit Hume should be worth a look in at 13, he is raw but he at least has some potential and seems physically up to it anyway. If he’s not then at least you can’t fault Farrell for trying to find some solutions
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

redderneck wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am I am not going to put myself through watching that game again, but would be interested to know CJ’s stats. Although they never tell the full story- you need Murray K’ s fullbore ruck involvements, positive etc for a better snapshot.

CJ had one tackle and 5 carries
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:03 pm
EverReady wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm The pressure will get to great next year and off he'll go. Need to poach a few more lads first
Unless he resigns I just can’t see how the IRFU could afford it, they’re close to bankruptcy
Fair point. They are all broke
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

hermie wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am If I was Farrell I would be trying to hire Jared Payne as a defence coach, let Easterby go back to his old role and replace Catt with Lancaster. To hire from within might be the path of least resistance. But in reality instead of wrecking the provinces to plug holes in the Ireland ship, Irish rugby would be better served trying to get a McCall or a Scott Robertson and letting them pick their backroom. Poaching Gibbes and ROG from La Rochelle, who are doing great and know Irish rugby very well, could be another option.
Whatever about as a coach, a 43 year old ROG would be a level up on Byrne as a 10 on recent evidence.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm

ESPN have him down for

5 carries for 3 metres
2 tackles 0 missed
1 lineout taken
0 penalties conceded

It’s all a bit weird given he’s usually one of the most industrious players on the team . They’re the type of stats you’d expect from him if he was taken off well before half time. Almost completely anonymous rather than trying but being ineffective
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Conspicuous wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm

ESPN have him down for

5 carries for 3 metres
2 tackles 0 missed
1 lineout taken
0 penalties conceded

It’s all a bit weird given he’s usually one of the most industrious players on the team . They’re the type of stats you’d expect from him if he was taken off well before half time. Almost completely anonymous rather than trying but being ineffective
CJ was very very quiet. Doris was taking on much of CJ's role, and he is too lightweight to be any where near as effective at it.

POM and maybe Porter are the only forwards to come out of the game with any credit.
crouchy

Post by crouchy »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 pm I'm sure it has been done to death but can anybody tell me why you pick two lumps with bad hands in the centre and then play deep?

Like I could see the logic in his selection and then the tactics were bananas
Bang on the money Mullet. 10, 12, 13 was properly rubbish.

Thought Keenan had a good game at 15.