Franno tells it as it is- The Official Neil Francis thread

All things Rugby
Magpie26

Re: Franno tells it as it is- The Official Neil Francis thread

Post by Magpie26 »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:40 pm
Magpie26 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:30 pm
Farrell was a phenomenal rugby league player. It is hard to think of any British player who could match him for his all-round excellence. There wasn't much more for him to achieve in that game before he turned his hand to union at the age of 31.
Only if you have no idea about rugby league.
I can only think off the top of my head of two league converts who really successfully made the jump - Jason Robinson and Chris Ashton, out on the wing as finishers.
Seriously, that's the only two he knows :?
It’s Franno, the man’s an idiot. Can be funny though.
True on both accounts i guess. His articles can be quite funny sometimes. :)
hermie

Post by hermie »

The Autumn Nations Cup will end today when England overwhelm France in a travesty of a game. Apart from revenue generation this competition has been a complete waste of time, with today's finale ruined by self-interest, politics and internecine bickering.

Just in case you missed it, the Rugby Championship in the southern hemisphere ended yesterday with Argentina finishing a creditable second. We might examine at a later date why South Africa chose not to play in that competition, citing lack of preparation, logistics and the inability to get their European players on board.

You look at what Argentina were capable of with zero preparation and then you think that South Africa missed a wonderful opportunity to stick one in New Zealand's eye yet again. South Africa would easily have won that competition.

However, the South African people need not have worried about not seeing their countrymen playing Test rugby because there were so many South Africans playing in the Aviva yesterday that I was surprised they did not sing Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika at anthem time. There were more vans on the pitch than you would find on a commercial vehicle sales forecourt. None of these players would get in to the fourth squad of the Springboks and yet they are playing international rugby in someone else's country.

It gives you an idea of where we have descended to when Jaco van der Walt gets to play a Test match for Scotland. Scotland said they knew what Duncan Weir could do and they were anxious to see what Jaco van der Walt could do yesterday. Not much.

It was like playing a blindside wing forward who is handy with the football in the most important position on the field. The fact that Scotland were the better team for 30 minutes told you more about Ireland than it did about Scotland.

I drove by the Shelbourne Hotel as the Ireland bus and Garda motorcycle out riders were waiting for the team to come out after their final meeting - a reaffirmation of the game plan, the necessity to get a good start and dominate the Scots from the off and not to give them any encouragement or a toehold in the game. Ireland gave Scotland 30 minutes of freedom and a lead which was only just retrieved before half-time. Ireland recovered and finished off the game in reasonable comfort.

However, the Garda motorcycle out-riders might have been called upon to question Andy Farrell for misleading statements in his post-match interview. In no way is this Scotland side "a good Scotland side". They have a pack that is reasonably proficient but has no power or ballast in it and they were unable, like England and France, to punch holes in Ireland's defence. Once Ireland were able to stop them on or near the gain line that was the end of that. Scotland, as usual, were messy and ragged at the breakdown, but just not anywhere near cynical enough to slow down Ireland's ball for the entire game without getting penalised, and their back row lacked oomph.

As usual Scotland's gambit was to get the ball to Stuart Hogg as often as possible. I do not know why a number of commentators and pundits rate Duncan Taylor as highly as they do. He can't pass and this doesn't help Hogg. The Scots did manage to get the ball into Hogg's hands and he tried his best in the first half, but he too was overcome by the vanilla effort and sheer mediocrity of what was going on around him and in the end he succumbed to a mistake-ridden performance as his match confidence ebbed in direct proportion to Scotland's mediocrity.

Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton gave an assured and intelligent performance and it is comforting because their back-ups are not of international standard. The search continues until such time as the correct successors are chosen. They are there, they just haven't been picked yet.

Ireland have 63 days to prepare for Wales at the Principality Stadium when there could be as many as seven changes to the side. If ever a match told you about the composition of certain sectors in your starting XV, this one most assuredly did.

Coaching is not only preparing the team and giving them the correct tactical plan. Selection is the foundation stone of getting it right. Ireland's back three needs to be tweaked because once again it misfired. Jacob Stockdale is a finisher.

He is not a goalkeeping fullback, nor is his positional sense up to scratch at this level, even though that is where he has spent most of his career. To play against the two power sides in the Six Nations, Ireland have to be rock solid defensively in their back three and that will require changes. Farrell has 63 days to get that blend right.

The head coach also has to tinker with his back row. Caelan Doris had an impressive showing but it is hard to realistically judge when your opposite number is Matt Fagerson. What is apparent and immediately obvious is how many gears Doris has. His performances demonstrate that he will be Ireland's number 8 for the foreseeable future.

CJ Stander is still a decent player, but it is obvious how one-paced he is now when you compare him to Doris. Both Munster flankers played well yesterday with Peter O'Mahony having a very good afternoon and giving Ireland an edge, particularly in the loose exchanges.

However, there is only going to be room for one of them in the starting XV. It all depends on what sort of progress Dan Leavy can make. Ireland will hopefully get Tadhg Furlong back too. There needs to be changes on our starting and bench front rows and in midfield when Garry Ringrose gets back.

This victory copper-fastens the notion that Ireland are still the best of the chasing pack after England and France. France in particular, after eight very lean years, have a clever coach and a very good defensive co-ordinator, although that won't really be reflected in today's match. But it does give you an idea of what you can be doing with a good coaching ticket.

Ireland need to change and augment their coaching ticket because, despite having enough quality in their roster, if that is not channelled in the right direction you will not get the best out of it.

Ireland have too many fixes to come up with in a short space of time and some of their traditional strengths are no longer as strong as they should be. As one of the great coaches in the world of basketball (John Wooden) said: "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do"

A win at home against a feeble Scotland side alters nothing. Ireland have quality and need to be primed to perform against England and France at home in February and March. Only then will we know if they are being marshalled correctly.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Farrell was a phenomenal rugby league player. It is hard to think of any British player who could match him for his all-round excellence. There wasn't much more for him to achieve in that game before he turned his hand to union at the age of 31.
Andy Farrell played Prop, Lock, Loose Forward, Stand off and Centre in Rugby League.
One of the most versatile and capable players I've ever seen.
Of those I've seen, only Ellery Hanley was better (started as a wing/centre moved to Stand Off & Loose Forward) in terms of sustained brilliance over a number of positions.

Comparable players in Union would begin and end with Michael Jones. Maybe Parisse if you've had a couple of glasses of Chianti.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

Yer Man wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:27 pm
Andy Farrell played Prop, Lock, Loose Forward, Stand off and Centre in Rugby League.
Of those I've seen, only Ellery Hanley was better (started as a wing/centre moved to Stand Off & Loose Forward) in terms of sustained brilliance over a number of positions.

Comparable players in Union would begin and end with Michael Jones. Maybe Parisse if you've had a couple of glasses of Chianti.

In RL, there is little demarcation between the positions. A player like Henry Paul played stand-off, hooker and loose-forward in RL, often in the same match.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:48 pm In RL, there is little demarcation between the positions. A player like Henry Paul played stand-off, hooker and loose-forward in RL, often in the same match.
So did Keith Wood.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

There you have it and if you have an idea about British rugby league its probably the first name that pops into your head. 8)

I never felt Andy Farrell really transferred his domestic form to the international level, at least not in the way Hanley did. Saying that he was an incredibly versatile player and could kick goals too.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Scrums are a doddle in league and no lineouts or rucks.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I can only think off the top of my head of two league converts who really successfully made the jump - Jason Robinson and Chris Ashton, out on the wing as finishers.
It would seem to be a fair call, especially if you take the context that he was talking about English/British players, so, say, Wendell Sailor (who would prove his point about finishers) might not count, and nobody would call Iestyn Harris or Henry Paul a complete success in XVs.

Or maybe he just forgot about Brad Thorn and Sonny Bill.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

DOB wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm
It would seem to be a fair call, especially if you take the context that he was talking about English/British players, so, say, Wendell Sailor (who would prove his point about finishers) might not count, and nobody would call Iestyn Harris or Henry Paul a complete success in XVs.

Or maybe he just forgot about Brad Thorn and Sonny Bill.
A part I might contradict was Jason Robinson was just a winger and finisher. He developed a good kicking game quite quickly and could play centre as well. His best position was possibly Full Back.
Saturnine

Post by Saturnine »

Anyone able to cut & paste Franno's last 2 columns? He's always entertaining after a loss to Wales or a couple of losses on the bounce.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Agent Franno hits the target again :lol:

https://ontopofthemoon.com/2021/05/18/a ... nds-lions/

Top trolling by the big man
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DeDoc wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:54 pm Agent Franno hits the target again :lol:

He seems to be more a spoofer with a passing knowledge of the game. The comment about Van der Flier and Watson is just bloody laughable.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

He's a moderately entertaining writer with something interesting to say periodically. But he can't help himself trolling, as evidenced in this example - thats just BS shoddy journalism

He may well believe vdF is a better player - doubt he'll get most Scots to agree, but it is a legitimate starting point for a discussion. But using nonsense assertions like that means it is going to be justifiably laughed at.

My own personal opinion on Watson is shifting. Didn't get the hype (from his fans) around the time of the last Lions tour. Still not entirely convinced, but he definitely 'plays bigger than he looks' if you know what I mean, and no doubting his workrate. I'm also a big vdF fan FWIW.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

DeDoc wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:04 pm He's a moderately entertaining writer with something interesting to say periodically. But he can't help himself trolling, as evidenced in this example - thats just BS shoddy journalism

He may well believe vdF is a better player - doubt he'll get most Scots to agree, but it is a legitimate starting point for a discussion. But using nonsense assertions like that means it is going to be justifiably laughed at.

My own personal opinion on Watson is shifting. Didn't get the hype (from his fans) around the time of the last Lions tour. Still not entirely convinced, but he definitely 'plays bigger than he looks' if you know what I mean, and no doubting his workrate. I'm also a big vdF fan FWIW.
As far as I'm concerned, any opportunity to shit all over Scotland and Wales Unions in rugby terms should be taken. He has (is is his wont) misdirected his effort at players. Their Unions shat all over Celtic solidarity in 2017 when not supporting the Irish RWC bid. Their Unions should be fair game, not the players.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

BlackMac wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:24 pm

He seems to be more a spoofer with a passing knowledge of the game. The comment about Van der Flier and Watson is just bloody laughable.
He squeezes out articles with the same care and attention a Florida retiree on a high fibre diet squeezes out breakfast. His work ethic remains unchanged from his playing days.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

redderneck wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am

He squeezes out articles with the same care and attention a Florida retiree on a high fibre diet squeezes out breakfast. His work ethic remains unchanged from his playing days.
:lol: Kinda sums him up perfectly.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

I think the topofthemoon guy may be (indirectly) on to something wrt Frannos record against Scotland. Not too dissimilarly to today where most Scots fans would consider their team to be (at worst) not much inferior to Ireland, and then are annyoed by others discounting individual players in head-to-heads. If you wind back to Franno's time as a player, the boot was on the other foot - e.g. look at the selection for the 1993 tour and a number of 'social' Scots tourists - tight five players. France won the title and Scotland, England and Ireland were all on 2/2 records separated on points difference. A lot of Irish fans would have been looking at the selection and wondering how they only got 2 forwards selected (one of which was a joke/left-field selection of Irelands' most dropped player Mick Galway!) and Scotland had 5 (plus a few backs). IIRC the selectors (McGeechan and Telfer included) decamped en masse to Paris to watch Wales play France rather than the Ireland-England game in Dublin where Ireland thumped the Grand Slam holding English.

The reality was though that in the last 10 games at the time, Scotland had won eight, and 3 of those by more than a score.
Similarly if you look now, Ireland have won eight of the last 10 and 5 of them have been more than a score
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

redderneck wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am He squeezes out articles with the same care and attention a Florida retiree on a high fibre diet squeezes out breakfast. His work ethic remains unchanged from his playing days.
Uncannily accurate description on both counts :lol: :thumbup:
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Doesn't Topofthemoon post here?
Zico

Post by Zico »

redderneck wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am
:lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Some posters love the dude.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

At least he didn't poke fun at the disableds
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I don't think he was "telling it as it is" about Marcus Smith....
Gynormus

Re: Franno tells it as it is- The Official Neil Francis thre

Post by Gynormus »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:18 pm
EverReady wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Franno on the Luke Fitz podcast had some choice words for Jamie Joseph.
What'd he say
Basically said he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed (Franno has met the man so you know he's on the up and up about this) and it's a bad sign Ireland looked outsmarted by one of his teams.
Arrived late to the podcast too and Fergie and Lukie were just ripping the piss with him and having all of the craic.
Quality broadcasting.
Qualified "completed a Bachelor of Physical Education majoring in psychology". Whats frannos own qualification/s? Also Joseph has built an impressive career in coaching unlike Franno.
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

Yer Man wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:56 pm
Fruit and Nutt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:48 pm In RL, there is little demarcation between the positions. A player like Henry Paul played stand-off, hooker and loose-forward in RL, often in the same match.
So did Keith Wood.
So have I
DeDoc

Re: Franno tells it as it is- The Official Neil Francis thre

Post by DeDoc »

Gynormus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 pm Qualified "completed a Bachelor of Physical Education majoring in psychology". Whats frannos own qualification/s? Also Joseph has built an impressive career in coaching unlike Franno.
Franno never coached that I'm aware of, so that point isn't really relevant. Not sure what qualifications if any Franno has, but think he was moderately proficient in corporate banking before becoming a full time journo?
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

On 1 February 1986 Neil Francis was accosted by security while leaving The George following a Five Nations rugby match. It was alleged that this was because he left a bar tab unpaid.
Somebody's had a go at his page on wiki! :lol:
backrow

Post by backrow »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:02 pm I don't think he was "telling it as it is" about Marcus Smith....
Disagree , he was telling the world he was racist
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:12 am
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:02 pm I don't think he was "telling it as it is" about Marcus Smith....
Disagree , he was telling the world he was racist
:lol:
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Pretty much par for the course with Franno. He'll probably get another gig in the future as well since a) he's said worse in the past and b) as a few posters around here can tell you, trolling generates clicks.