New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by jdogscoop »

booji boy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 am I have two trips to Auckland in the next few weeks. Hopefully we can avoid a lockdown.

Mind you, I'm relaxing in the Coromandel at the moment so a government issued "stay in place" order wouldn't upset me too much... ;)
8) :thumbup:

What part of the Coromandel?
Nice Gareth. Is the entirely wooden pub still there in Coromandel Town? Lovely spot for a Monteith's.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 am I have two trips to Auckland in the next few weeks. Hopefully we can avoid a lockdown.

Mind you, I'm relaxing in the Coromandel at the moment so a government issued "stay in place" order wouldn't upset me too much... ;)

Whitianga. Has been a good central base for exploring. :)
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:12 am

Nice Gareth. Is the entirely wooden pub still there in Coromandel Town? Lovely spot for a Monteith's.
The Star and Garter? Think it has some corrugated iron on the sides. But it's very pretty from the front and inside.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 am Cabinets meeting at the moment. Press conference with the PM at 7pm.
Let me guess

20 bucks says worried furrowed brow from Ardern with a slightly tilteded head ala Diana and lots of saying team of 5 million and kindness.

While our tourist industry and universities go tits up
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 am Cabinets meeting at the moment. Press conference with the PM at 7pm.
Let me guess

20 bucks says worried furrowed brow from Ardern with a slightly tilteded head ala Diana and lots of saying team of 5 million and kindness.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are pretty much indistinguishable from Clogs and Bimbo these days with your hissy fits when it comes to Covid.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dark wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am While our tourist industry and universities go tits up
The same sectors are being ravaged in Australia too. What are you suggesting that the NZ govt does? Open up to international tourists and students? What a stupid idea.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Let me guess

Looks like tourism has made this outbreak dangerous. The family seems to have headed off to unknowingly spread Covid to New Plymouth. Not saying we shouldn't do domestic tourism, but it's all people movement, which is what a virus loves...
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:52 am
Let me guess

Looks like tourism has made this outbreak dangerous. The family seems to have headed off to unknowingly spread Covid to New Plymouth. Not saying we shouldn't do domestic tourism, but it's all people movement, which is what a virus loves...
You really are the epitome of dim.

We haven't had any international tourists.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

:? :lol:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Auckland Level 3 for 3 days

The rest of us Level 2

Reviewable daily.

Sounds as though she caught it off the linen from an international flyer
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

The Dunning-Kruger effect strikes again.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Level 2

Would kind of help if she said what that means
Dark

Post by Dark »

"Be kind" only twice

I nee a "Team of 5 million" to ease my anxiety
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:13 am

My family has a bach in Matarangi which is about 20 minutes north just over the hill.

Enjoy! 8) :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JB1981 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:17 am Is anyone else over the “out of an abundance of caution” phrase? Now even Air New Zealand are using it when explaining stopping meal services. Community transmission of that phrase has become annoying.
I am now! Hadn't heard it until tonight.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 am Level 2

She has said it on multiple occasions over the last year but you didn't want to listen. You claimed the Covid update press conferences were nothing more than political campaigning by the Labour Party. Now you suddenly want her to go over it again for you.

Make up your mind, ffs. Or at least listen to what you are being told you fucking dense, petty, ignoramus.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 am

She has said it on multiple occasions over the last year but you didn't want to listen. You claimed the Covid update press conferences were nothing more than political campaigning by the Labour Party. Now you suddenly want her to go over it again for you.

Make up your mind, ffs. Or at least listen to what you are being told you fucking dense, petty, ignoramus.
Calm down.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

She explained it in the press conference.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

As soon as the "PM is due to address the nation at 7pm" came up on my notifications, I knew it!

Good luck Queen City! This must mean no sailing until further notice?
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 am
Dark wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am While our tourist industry and universities go tits up
The same sectors are being ravaged in Australia too. What are you suggesting that the NZ govt does? Open up to international tourists and students? What a stupid idea.

He’s a very stupid individual.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Put your purse down for a minute,

I need to find a facemask that is now mandatory to wear to get to work.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Eugenius wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:54 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 am

He’s a very stupid individual.

I think Unis with govt over sight would do a better job of MIQ in halls that are purpose built than the govt are cocking up in hotels,
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 am

Put your purse down for a minute,

I need to find a facemask that is now mandatory to wear to get to work.
Apologies for the post, but you sir are a dead set idiot. It needs to be said.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

booji boy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:13 am

My family has a bach in Matarangi which is about 20 minutes north just over the hill.

Enjoy! 8) :thumbup:
Nice. Almost popped in their the other day on our way back from New Chums beach. But it had been a long day and cold local beer was calling. :)
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

It's again pretty concerning that at least a whole week has passed since these people are thought to have contracted the virus
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

deadduck wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:35 am It's again pretty concerning that at least a whole week has passed since these people are thought to have contracted the virus
I think there are three things going on. One is that they haven’t tied up the source. Then they are concerned about the movement of the family post infection. And thirdly, it’s a shot across the bow of an overly casual public.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

deadduck wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:35 am It's again pretty concerning that at least a whole week has passed since these people are thought to have contracted the virus
What is the earliest it could be detected after it's been contracted?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Well in this case the people got tested because they were symptomatic.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:39 am
I think there are three things going on. One is that they haven’t tied up the source. Then they are concerned about the movement of the family post infection. And thirdly, it’s a shot across the bow of an overly casual public.
Is that a subtle way of saying their oversight of MIQs is a tad shit?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I haven't read much on this, so correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions...but I imagine they've taken this course because this family haven't been using the tracer app and so they are not confident of their movements.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:24 am
I haven't read much on this, so correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions...but I imagine they've taken this course because this family haven't been using the tracer app and so they are not confident of their movements.
If so that would cover both points 2 and 3 in combination. :(
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

For whatever reason the Northland lady didn’t pass it on - even her husband didn’t catch it. Compared to that we have a family of three all infected pretty quickly so there will be concern for contacts beyond that.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Big differences this time, they aren't certain where its coming from and if they have patient 0, and its potentially in a school
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

We've also had a Waitangi weekend, fine weather, and lots of public gatherings over that period. Imagine if somebody infected attended the Six 60 concert in Wellington yesterday.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tehui wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:29 am
We've also had a Waitangi weekend, fine weather, and lots of public gatherings over that period. Imagine if somebody infected attended the Six 60 concert in Wellington yesterday.
A public flailing of Six60 then off to lockdown we go would suit me.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

This reaction is absurdly over the top. 3 cases ffs.

It wasn't long ago we were getting 30,000 a day. Mind you that's dropped off rapidly now.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

They are treating thus case differently because they've yet to identify where us came from. There is a strong suspicion that the mother may have caught it from laundry from international flights given that is her job, but both her and the daughter displayed symptoms at the same time so they can't yet rule out that they may gave caught in the community. In which case there may be quite a chain of infected people between them and the breach.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:14 pm They are treating thus case differently because they've yet to identify where us came from. There is a strong suspicion that the mother may have caught it from laundry from international flights given that is her job, but both her and the daughter displayed symptoms at the same time so they can't yet rule out that they may gave caught in the community. In which case there may be quite a chain of infected people between them and the breach.
I mean, I guess it's fair enough since NZ and Aus are aiming for elimination, not just "coping with it". We don't really have that option in Europe.

I read an article a few days ago suggesting vaccines or not, we will be battling coronavirus for five or six years yet. If that is true, it does make me question the elimination strategy. Is it realistic to (more or less) isolate your island nation from the outside world and go into lockdown every time it creeps in and infects two or three people for the next half decade or more?

I dunno. Maybe. But at some point the costs must outweigh the benefit to society.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:09 am
Tehui wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:29 am
A public flailing of Six60 then off to lockdown we go would suit me.
Come on duuude!? Reggae sounds / cricket / Dunedin shout out.

Love it!
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:22 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:14 pm They are treating thus case differently because they've yet to identify where us came from. There is a strong suspicion that the mother may have caught it from laundry from international flights given that is her job, but both her and the daughter displayed symptoms at the same time so they can't yet rule out that they may gave caught in the community. In which case there may be quite a chain of infected people between them and the breach.
I mean, I guess it's fair enough since NZ and Aus are aiming for elimination, not just "coping with it". We don't really have that option in Europe.

I read an article a few days ago suggesting vaccines or not, we will be battling coronavirus for five or six years yet. If that is true, it does make me question the elimination strategy. Is it realistic to (more or less) isolate your island nation from the outside world and go into lockdown every time it creeps in and infects two or three people for the next half decade or more?

I dunno. Maybe. But at some point the costs must outweigh the benefit to society.
I read an article on the internet that I'm now conflating with official government policy.

Just do one fuckwit. No one cares what you think.