Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:27 am It's interesting how on this forum, opinion for or against about this new legislation is split largely down ideological lines.

It's also interesting that this massive new slab of red tape and government interference is being imposed by the Coalition, who like to preach about a smaller government and reducing the government's interference in the market. It seems that the free market is only left to its own devices when it favours the Coalition's donors.
No I don't think it is.
Ali's Choice

Re: Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:27 am It's interesting how on this forum, opinion for or against about this new legislation is split largely down ideological lines.

It's also interesting that this massive new slab of red tape and government interference is being imposed by the Coalition, who like to preach about a smaller government and reducing the government's interference in the market. It seems that the free market is only left to its own devices when it favours the Coalition's donors.
No I don't think it is.
It seems all the Coalition fanboys love this new media bill.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 am

No I don't think it is.
Because I wear Chinos and Boat shoes?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 am

No I don't think it is.
No, I don't certainly don't consider you a Coalition fanboy and I wasn't sure if you were a fan of this new bill or not. I was thinking more of Kiap, Ella Fan, Sensible Stephen, grievous et all.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

No I don't think it is.
They faint when Scotty does his hard man impression. In all other circumstances they'd be fawning over Zuckerberg and his empire. It's political expedience. :roll:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am

No I don't think it is.
No, I don't certainly don't consider you a Coalition fanboy and I wasn't sure if you were a fan of this new bill or not. I was thinking more of Kiap, Ella Fan, Sensible Stephen, grievous et all.
Kiap and I share a bit of knowledge on the back end of things like this.

The policy and results are a little of column A and a little of column B

As I said before, it's good thing that the situation has blown up like this
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

No I don't think it is.
I am a left winger. Its not split down ideological lines at all.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Muttonbirds wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am They faint when Scotty does his hard man impression. In all other circumstances they'd be fawning over Zuckerberg and his empire. It's political expedience. :roll:
Those posters certainly fawn over Scott Morrison and would support any legislation he brings into the parliament. They also worship Rupert Murdoch, and they know that this new legislation was designed solely to reap huge profits for News Ltd. And whilst they love Big Business, their support is for big mining, resources, infrastructure and agriculture companies. They deeply distrust big tech companies like Google and Facebook.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

I bet they use big tech several times a day very single day of the year.
grievous

Post by grievous »

No I don't think it is.
:lol: you really struggle on issues unless its defined in left or right, left or right, left or right...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am :lol: you really struggle on issues unless its defined in left or right, left or right, left or right...
Stupid comment. Both the major parties and the Greens support the Facebook Tax. That doesn't make it any less stupid. You're a Coalition shill, anything that Scott Morrison says or does you will blindly support.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:01 pm
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am :lol: you really struggle on issues unless its defined in left or right, left or right, left or right...
Stupid comment. Both the major parties and the Greens support the Facebook Tax. That doesn't make it any less stupid. You're a Coalition shill, anything that Scott Morrison says or does you will blindly support.
It suits me you think that.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 pm
My opinion is based on your posting for the last decade and a half.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:05 pm
You need to label everyone in here, its OK, write in down in your weird spreadsheet or whatever it is you do.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm
You need to label everyone in here, its OK, write in down in your weird spreadsheet or whatever it is you do.
That's BoB
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Spreadsheet? You're the poster who continually uses other poster's personal information to troll them. That's always been your modus operendi on this forum. You're like your hero Donald Trump, you accuse others of doing what you are doing yourself.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Spreadsheet? You're the poster who continually uses other poster's personal information to troll them. That's always been your modus operendi on this forum. You're like your hero Donald Trump, you accuse others of doing what you are doing yourself.
:lol:
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:49 am

No I don't think it is.
I am a left winger. Its not split down ideological lines at all.
What are chinos?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 pm What are chinos?
Its funny you should say that because I had to look them up, via Google of course. I mean, I have heard the word used before but I didn't really know what they were. Apparently they are men's pants made of course cotton, that can be worn to work on Casual Friday.
Sensible Stephen

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 pm
Its funny you should say that because I had to look them up, via Google of course. I mean, I have heard the word used before but I didn't really know what they were. Apparently they are men's pants made of course cotton, that can be worn to work on Casual Friday.
Not only casual Fridays. Its acceptable to wear chinos and a shirt everyday. I do. Just never go short sleeve unless you're an uncle type.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Not only casual Fridays. Its acceptable to wear chinos and a shirt everyday. I do. Just never go short sleeve unless you're an uncle type.
I live in QLD and won't ever wear a short sleeved shirt, even during the height of summer. They look so gross.
Sensible Stephen

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm
I live in QLD and won't ever wear a short sleeved shirt, even during the height of summer. They look so gross.
To be far, if you are 60 and wear sort sleeves and a tie, all the ladies come to your yard.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

I had a mate, who had a co-worker, who wore short sleeve shirts and chinos .... with a tie. Under a blue blazer.

My mate was a valued employee so he only had to attend a brief anger manager course, while they got rid of "Sipowitz".
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

I had a linen suit I used to wear to the track. Is that the sort of thing you mean?
Sensible Stephen

Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:45 pm
I had a mate, who had a co-worker, who wore short sleeve shirts and chinos .... with a tie. Under a blue blazer.

My mate was a valued employee so he only had to attend a brief anger manager course, while they got rid of "Sipowitz".
I work with a similar type of person. He flips his tie over his shoulder when he uses the urinal. Practical man.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 pm
I had a linen suit I used to wear to the track. Is that the sort of thing you mean?
Not quite linen. I think cinos are similar, but more robust. Just check with Pat thoughm because he apparently wears them.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

I never saw youtube give a goddam about how much $ this made them.

The cunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=674KGKRQBPE
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:42 am Kiap,

You're harping on about 'stolen content' whilst refusing to acknowledge that these proposed laws go much, much further. They would require that Google and FB pay Aussie news companies money every time a consumer accesses their news site through Google or FB. The example I used yesterday was me searching the 'Cronulla riots'. Half way down the first search page on google was a link to the The Guardian, which directed me to The Guardian's website. Under the proposed law Google would have to pay The Guardian for the privilege of directing traffic to their website.

As far as I can tell the French deal relates only to reusing content, not linking consumers to news websites. So the laws are very different.
Can someone with more knowledge on this describe to me what's going on with this below that I'm starting to experience more.

I google search something and am directed to a news story link. When I click on the link to read it, the url is a google url usually with "amp" in it. For me to say copy the link to post the story on a forum if I don't want a gargantuan google link, I have to do a bit of work to get the url down to just the content provider's link. Is it a way for Google to shadow the page of the content provider without actually directing you there?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:55 pm

You're harping on about 'stolen content' whilst refusing to acknowledge that these proposed laws go much, much further. They would require that Google and FB pay Aussie news companies money every time a consumer accesses their news site through Google or FB. The example I used yesterday was me searching the 'Cronulla riots'. Half way down the first search page on google was a link to the The Guardian, which directed me to The Guardian's website. Under the proposed law Google would have to pay The Guardian for the privilege of directing traffic to their website.

As far as I can tell the French deal relates only to reusing content, not linking consumers to news websites. So the laws are very different.
Can someone with more knowledge on this describe to me what's going on with this below that I'm starting to experience more.

I google search something and am directed to a news story link. When I click on the link to read it, the url is a google url usually with "amp" in it. For me to say copy the link to post the story on a forum if I don't want a gargantuan google link, I have to do a bit of work to get the url down to just the content provider's link. Is it a way for Google to shadow the page of the content provider without actually directing you there?
Flynn, youtube have 8,070,145 hits on joy divisions love will us apart.

I'm guessing the plum have never paid a cent of royalties for that.

Am I wrong?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:04 am
Farva wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 am
Finally Facebook has very much pushed the culture war that our friends over in that thread love banging on about. They have filtered news sites so you only see opinions that agree with you, and news agencies have responded by going more extreme. Id love to see something come in that stops that.
Probably deserves a separate thread, but this is a huge problem. Youtube as well. Creates more and more divided, extreme camps of people.
I don't understand why Youtube allows comments. And it's been a cesspool since it started, it wasn't recent.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Am I wrong?
I'm not sure. I imagine Joy Division and the song's owner have received a little money, however from listening to for example Nightcore which is a sped up feminized version of songs, that I doubt Joy Division and the song's owner receive any money from remixes of their songs.

Probably the closest parallel I can think of to Facebook/Google and news companies is the radio (or Alexa to modernize it) playing songs. "The radio is playing the music for free, they're doing a favor publicizing it." Eh, that's not really how it works.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

"The radio is playing the music for free, they're doing a favor publicizing it."

Which is the biggest load of shite of all time.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

I am proud that our Oz guvmint has stood up to these international monopolistic/cartel dealers, and made a difference before it is too late.

Google is now under the kosh in multiple countries and is bending over and spreading its cheeks while trying to limit the bleeding. They know they have been having a freebie picnic, they know this day would come, and the only surprise is that it has taken so long.

It has spread from a small south pacific country who has the guts to tell google facebook, and the CCP where to go.

Straya - fuck yeah.! :D ;) :!: :lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 pm
Sensible Stephen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:04 am
Farva wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 am
Finally Facebook has very much pushed the culture war that our friends over in that thread love banging on about. They have filtered news sites so you only see opinions that agree with you, and news agencies have responded by going more extreme. Id love to see something come in that stops that.
Probably deserves a separate thread, but this is a huge problem. Youtube as well. Creates more and more divided, extreme camps of people.
I don't understand why Youtube allows comments. And it's been a cesspool since it started, it wasn't recent.
It's a public service. Pootube providing a public space - a virtual agora - where anyone with net access can demonstrate just what a disappointment to their parents they are.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:23 am

Betoota's back on FB: https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlin ... erald-sun/
News publishers and users were banned from sharing content right across Australia – in response to the Morrison government’s proposed media bargaining laws, that he was told to introduce by Rupert Murdoch – who after twenty years, has not found a way to make a quid out of the internet.
:lol: :lol:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Betoota has been smashing it...
PM Says Sexual Assaults In Parliament House Have Always Been An Issue For States To Deal With
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlin ... deal-with/
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:51 pm
Not quite linen. I think cinos are similar, but more robust. Just check with Pat thoughm because he apparently wears them.
Fark me - you've never heard of Chinos?!

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 am

I mean, I have heard the word used before but I didn't really know what they were.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 am

freddie111

Post by freddie111 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Ellafan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Am I wrong?
I'm not sure. I imagine Joy Division and the song's owner have received a little money, however from listening to for example Nightcore which is a sped up feminized version of songs, that I doubt Joy Division and the song's owner receive any money from remixes of their songs.

Probably the closest parallel I can think of to Facebook/Google and news companies is the radio (or Alexa to modernize it) playing songs. "The radio is playing the music for free, they're doing a favor publicizing it." Eh, that's not really how it works.
If you click into the details of the Joy Division song you'll see that the license holder and all song writers are credited. Payment is relative to the advertising sold around the song.
If a song has no ads and is not part of a paid subscription then there is no payment but the songholder can claim the song which will put ads on it and let revenue happen.
This can apply to variations of the song as well i.e. a cover, sample etc, but that credit is just to the song writers vs the owners of the original recording.

Wrt radio: radio stations pay royalties for songs they play (whether that all gets to the artists is a whole other story!) Not sure where the idea that songs on the radio are free comes from (though YouTube and others were pretty cavalier in the early days)

Wrt Amp it allows you to get the cached version super fast while Google checks if there is a newer version in the background, and uploads it into the cache if there is a newer version. It also restricts the amount of bloat that "web designers " put into the page reducing page load times and it also reduces the attack surface for malware and other exploits.