8. Luke Jacobson
7. Ardie Savea
6. Shannon Frizell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Bryn Evans
3. Angus Ta'avao
2. Codie Taylor
1. Aidan Ross

Unlucky: David Havili, Tupou Vaa'i, Connor Garden-Bachop, Peter Umaga-Jensen, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Jordie Barrett

Player of the Week: Ardie Savea
Ted.

Re: Super Rugby Aotearoa Team of the Week - Round 7

Post by Ted. »

Dane Coles. What a player. :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 am Dane Coles. What a player. :thumbup:
He was good today, but no way he makes the team with such a dysfunctional lineout.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Disingenuous much. That's a very poor excuse for not selecting Coles, given that the dysfunction was nothing to do with him. He has two targets at best, hell they didn't even jump a couple of times.

He also outplayed Taylor while he was ion the field, at a canter. Not to put too finer point on it, Taylor was also very fortunate not to cop more penalties than he did.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

I also thought that Jacobson gave away some really dumb penalities last night. Not sure who I would put in his pl;ace though, perhaps Grace. I thought Flanders was also really effective for the Canes, but he was player 6-8, so can't compare.

I also thought Vaa'i nudged past Evans. but no real argument there.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Think laumape was extremely lucky not to cop a red card for his forearm work.

How did the 12s go in the landers chiefs game, was unable to watch it
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:04 am Disingenuous much. That's a very poor excuse for not selecting Coles, given that the dysfunction was nothing to do with him. He has two targets at best, hell they didn't even jump a couple of times.

He also outplayed Taylor while he was ion the field, at a canter. Not to put too finer point on it, Taylor was also very fortunate not to cop more penalties than he did.
What's disingenuous is blaming the 6-7 lineouts that the Hurricanes lost on their own throw solely on the locks and lifters, and absolving the hooker completely. As someone who played a fair bit of hooker, I believe that Coles had a role in the dysfunction of the Hurricanes lineout. I know you'd prefer to blame your locks, but the entire lineout unit is to blame and Coles is a key part of that unit.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

You've named Laumape over Havili?

That's reverse hostage syndrome dude. Winner's guilt.

Lumpy really should have got a red card. Havili was all over everything and kicked the winning drop goal in extra time.

Pressure wins every time.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:16 am I also thought that Jacobson gave away some really dumb penalities last night. Not sure who I would put in his pl;ace though, perhaps Grace. I thought Flanders was also really effective for the Canes, but he was player 6-8, so can't compare.

Grace had a very quiet game so I would not put him in this team.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am You've named Laumape over Havili?

Lumpy really should have got a red card. Havili was all over everything and kicked the winning drop goal in extra time.

I tossed and turned over that. The fact is Laumape didn't get a red card, and his team scored more points than the Crusaders when he was off the field. I thought he ran hard all day and whilst Havili did kick the winning drop goal I thought Ngani played very well too. Perhaps I was just feeling magnanimous given we scraped home with a win that he could easily have lost?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:44 am Think laumape was extremely lucky not to cop a red card for his forearm work.

How did the 12s go in the landers chiefs game, was unable to watch it
We saw the best and worst of Lumpy -- not many other players would have scored that try but he should have seen red for that act.

Hang on, he did see red.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 am
Ted. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:16 am I also thought that Jacobson gave away some really dumb penalities last night. Not sure who I would put in his pl;ace though, perhaps Grace. I thought Flanders was also really effective for the Canes, but he was player 6-8, so can't compare.

Grace had a very quiet game so I would not put him in this team.
Yep, and Flanders shifted to flanker off every scrum that the Canes fed so he didn't have many opportunities to impress in attack. Jacobson had a very strong game and his work at the breakdown in particular was stellar, I didn't think his selection was that controversial.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 am
guy smiley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am You've named Laumape over Havili?

I tossed and turned over that. The fact is Laumape didn't get a red card, and his team scored more points than the Crusaders when he was off the field. I thought he ran hard all day and whilst Havili did kick the winning drop goal I thought Ngani played very well too. Perhaps I was just feeling magnanimous given we scraped home with a win that he could easily have lost?
So, his team scored well while he was off... and that argues for him, somehow?

Meanwhile, Havili playing away from his preferred 3/4 role loses his more experienced centre partner early and has to manage the midfield with Faiinganuku beside him who, despite making a decent fist of things in attack, isn't a shadow of Goodhue when it comes to organising that backline defensive structure?

Nah. Havili for me.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:35 am Nah. Havili for me.
That's totally fine by me. The whole point of a thread like this is to incite debate, reflection and discussion, rather than agree on an actual team :thumbup:
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 am
guy smiley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:35 am Nah. Havili for me.
That's totally fine by me. The whole point of a thread like this is to incite debate, reflection and discussion, rather than agree on an actual team :thumbup:
Sounds like a Foster team selection meeting.
puku

Post by puku »

15. Damien McKenzie
14. Wes Goosen
13. Anton Lienart-Brown
12. Ngani Laumape
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Snecky Smith

8. Ardie Savea
7. James Lentjes
6. Shannon Frizell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Bryn Evans
3. Angus Ta'avao
2. Dane Coles
1. Aidan Ross

Re hooker, Coles was way better than Cody. in fact I think Aumua was better than Cody.

Ardie Savea was a beast.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

puku wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:01 pm
Re hooker, Coles was way better than Cody. in fact I think Aumua was better than Cody.
Hurricanes seem to be very deep at hooker imho - Coles is terrific, Aumua impresses me a lot, and Ricitelli (sp?) doesn't let the side down.
puku

Post by puku »

Morgan14 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 pm
puku wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:01 pm
Hurricanes seem to be very deep at hooker imho - Coles is terrific, Aumua impresses me a lot, and Ricitelli (sp?) doesn't let the side down.
Yep, that and Ardie Savea are one of the few strengths to the team.
somer

Post by somer »

Codie made 25 tackles with no misses.
Ardie made 4 tackles with 1 miss. He's a great ball runner and jackler but he goes missing in defense.
A backrow with Ardie and no Cane will need to two other defensive juggernauts to compensate.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

somer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 am Codie made 25 tackles with no misses.
Ardie made 4 tackles with 1 miss. He's a great ball runner and jackler but he goes missing in defense.
A backrow with Ardie and no Cane will need to two other defensive juggernauts to compensate.
When are people going to start getting it?

You cannot be a world class jackler/pilferer and also rack up impressive tackling stats. The two are mutually exclusive. Because 90% of pilfers are effected by the second defender. The first defender makes a tackle and the second defender latches onto the ball.

Richie McCaw explained this countless times to idiot fans who believed that he forgot how to effect turnovers post 2007. He had a thorough look at his game and decided he offered more to his team by tackling and cleaning out rather than by waiting to effect turnovers. He went on to win 2 x RWC's after making this change to his game so I would argue that he was vindicated.

The Crusaders have copped a lot of criticism over the years for being 'weak at the breakdown', which actually means they don't attempt many pilfers. I agree that this is a relative weakness in their game, but winning four straight SR titles whilst never focusing on winning pilfers suggests that perhaps this part of the game isn't as important as some people think?