NZ Transgender Weightlifter Cleared to Compete by the IOC

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: NZ Transgender Weightlifter Cleared to Compete by the IOC

Post by Anonymous 1 »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 pm
Rugbygirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:07 am To clarify, I wasn't trying to close down debate or tell anybody they couldn't have a view on the subject. I do however stand by the word 'pontificate' because that's exactly what a lot of people (not just on here) do. It is incredibly frustrating to hear men talk about inclusion and dismiss any potential problems as just the price to pay for x, y or z, when they won't have to deal directly with the impact.
Yeah you were just giving me a gentle reminder that because I have a dick this issue didn't really effect me. Plus you well know that the people with dicks on this thread have been voicing views right across the spectrum including ones that advocate the people who will be directly "dealing with the impact" should be the one to decide as in women.
Man..... I'm guessing you were never a hit with the ladies. She is 100% correct. I can't imagine Alan Jones could react so poorly to what she's written.
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pmOh don't listen to him Matilda. You should go out with me. I'd never treat you like that and I'd respect the ground you walk on and buy you flowers every day
Rugbygirl

Post by Rugbygirl »

Rugbygirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:07 am To clarify, I wasn't trying to close down debate or tell anybody they couldn't have a view on the subject. I do however stand by the word 'pontificate' because that's exactly what a lot of people (not just on here) do. It is incredibly frustrating to hear men talk about inclusion and dismiss any potential problems as just the price to pay for x, y or z, when they won't have to deal directly with the impact.
Yeah you were just giving me a gentle reminder that because I have a dick this issue didn't really effect me. Plus you well know that the people with dicks on this thread have been voicing views right across the spectrum including ones that advocate the people who will be directly "dealing with the impact" should be the one to decide as in women.
I mean, my point was to ask people who wouldn't be directly affected by the issue to consider whether that might influence their views. If you were already doing that, the post wasn't directed at you, so you don't need to get so defensive.

On the other hand someone who uses phrases like 'the whim of women' might want to reflect on why they think they're so enlightened on the topic that they have no need whatsoever to talk to the people who actually stand to be affected.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rugbygirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:11 pm
I mean, my point was to ask people who wouldn't be directly affected by the issue to consider whether that might influence their views. If you were already doing that, the post wasn't directed at you, so you don't need to get so defensive.

On the other hand someone who uses phrases like 'the whim of women' might want to reflect on why they think they're so enlightened on the topic that they have no need whatsoever to talk to the people who actually stand to be affected.
You were being offensive to me. As I said the full spectrum of opinion was being voiced. So when you start your post with "A gentle reminder that while you’re all pontificating about fairness" I'm going to take it that you are talking to all.
towny

Post by towny »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 pm
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Man..... I'm guessing you were never a hit with the ladies. She is 100% correct. I can't imagine Alan Jones could react so poorly to what she's written.
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pmOh don't listen to him Matilda. You should go out with me. I'd never treat you like that and I'd respect the ground you walk on and buy you flowers every day
this
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 am
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:32 am But why don't you ask women?
Why should the basic human rights of transgender people be decided on the whim of women?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me clarify AC's position:

Women have no right to decide what constitutes a woman when it comes to competitive sport?
Its staggeringly bizarre logic.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am It would be like cheating. The best woman tennis player in the world wouldn't make the men's top 1000. AC would tell you that testosterone treatment eliminates the disparity completely.
Of course transgender people can't play pro-tennis, so once again you're creating a crisis that doesn't actually exist.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 am
danny_fitz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am On this point what is your take on the current debate about maintaining 'safe spaces' for non transgender women i.e. changing rooms. What would you say to any women in sports clubs who object or feel uncomfortable that they are being asked to use open changing rooms with a pre op transgender woman?
Is it any different to sharing a changeroom with a lesbian teammate?
In the ancestral environment, rape by a man would have been a very different threat than rape by a woman. It completely makes sense why women would have evolved adaptations to differentiate between the two. The last couple of years of social progress doesn't rewire a couple of hundred million years of evolution.

The brain doesn't care if it is wrong on most occasions as long as it isn't wrong on the most costly occasion.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 am
danny_fitz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am On this point what is your take on the current debate about maintaining 'safe spaces' for non transgender women i.e. changing rooms. What would you say to any women in sports clubs who object or feel uncomfortable that they are being asked to use open changing rooms with a pre op transgender woman?
Is it any different to sharing a changeroom with a lesbian teammate?
In the ancestral environment, rape by a man would have been a very different threat than rape by a woman. It completely makes sense why women would have evolved adaptations to differentiate between the two. The last couple of years of social progress doesn't rewire a couple of hundred million years of evolution.

The brain doesn't care if it is wrong on most occasions as long as it isn't wrong on the most costly occasion.
We are a lot younger than that mate
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:17 pm We are a lot younger than that mate
I'm not sure what is meant by "we". There is no point that humans magically appeared -it's not like it was 97,845 years ago - on a Tuesday.

There has never been a point where a non-human gave birth to a human. Yet we share a common ancestor with crustaceans.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:22 pm
I'm not sure what is meant by "we". There is no point that humans magically appeared -it's not like it was 97,845 years ago - on a Tuesday.

There has never been a point where a non-human gave birth to a human. Yet we share a common ancestor with crustaceans.
Rape by a man or woman being pat of our evolutionary path from the millions a accidents in natural selection from a couple hundred million years ago. :thumbup:
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Can you please write that so it makes sense? i want to know what point you are making.
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

mabunch78 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 am Praying this is not a RR.

IOC rule change clears a path for Laurel Hubbard to compete in the women’s super heavyweight category at the Tokyo Olympics:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... o-olympics

Discuss...
Makes a mockery of Women's rights, sexuality & what was the point of every single effort from Emily Pankhurst etc to make their lives equal. Wrong on so many levels. Just make the Olympics a place where as Britain's Olympic & European 400m David Jenkins (nailed for smuggling & providing steroids) said 'allow steroids so the best is achieved. Why limit the result'. So the several women in Africa with high testosterone should now be readmitted? We are pandering to a social political viewpoint that is near non existent & any man without drugs or surgery can assign as female. The counter argument is that many trans can't compete on an equal level? Well sure except this guy is not the exception in many events MTF are being allowed to compete. Rugby is a being challenged with this in England & France as well as USA & Aus. Where does it stop as the decades of challenging for recognition & equality are now gone.
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

Harveys wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am It would be like cheating. The best woman tennis player in the world wouldn't make the men's top 1000. AC would tell you that testosterone treatment eliminates the disparity completely.
Of course transgender people can't play pro-tennis, so once again you're creating a crisis that doesn't actually exist.
Ali, explain with MTF the big 'Penis' questions as many in transgendering hit steroids & get bolt-ons but leave the penis. In the UK & across Europe such transition or even not who declare themselves as females with the use of a dress & a hairstyle have seen rapes in Female prisons rise from 0? Then lets take the issues of what constitutes a sexuality. How many do you recognise? We had some wokes claim that 135 different & recogniseable sexualities exist? FMIIK! How does a sporting body Recognise these?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gynormus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Harveys wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm
Ali, explain with MTF the big 'Penis' questions as many in transgendering hit steroids & get bolt-ons but leave the penis. In the UK & across Europe such transition or even not who declare themselves as females with the use of a dress & a hairstyle have seen rapes in Female prisons rise from 0? Then lets take the issues of what constitutes a sexuality. How many do you recognise? We had some wokes claim that 135 different & recogniseable sexualities exist? FMIIK! How does a sporting body Recognise these?
With respect, I don't respond genuinely to anyone who uses the term "woke" unironically. If you actually want me to respond, edit your post.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Female weightlifters being silenced on the issue...

https://7news.com.au/sport/olympics/ath ... -c-2795167
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mabunch78 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 am Female weightlifters being silenced on the issue...

How are you defining female ?
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 am
mabunch78 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 am Female weightlifters being silenced on the issue...

How are you defining female ?
Touché!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:29 pm
Jerome Manning wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Rape by a man or woman being pat of our evolutionary path from the millions a accidents in natural selection from a couple hundred million years ago. :thumbup:

I’m not sure under British law if a women can commit “rape”.
madman

Post by madman »

So if a transwomen is allowed in to the Olympics 100m, wins gold and breaks 10.49 seconds set by Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988.

Do you think it will be seen by the world population as a success for female sport and equality? or will the majority say it not a proper record.

and before anyone says the above is just hypothetical. It is exactly a possible if not the likely scenario if trans women are allowed to compete as equals in women's sport.
towny

Post by towny »

“I’m quite disappointed, quite disappointed for the female athlete who will lose out on that spot,” Lambrechs, who won a bronze medal for New Zealand at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, told TVNZ.

“We’re all about equality for women in sport but right now that equality is being taken away from us.

“I’ve had female weightlifters come up to me and say, ‘what do we do? This isn’t fair, what do we do?’. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do because every time we voice it we get told to be quiet.”

I’m looking forward to the kiwis flooding the board with condemnation of their nation’s bigots. They’ll be here soon. Any second now……..
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

madman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 am So if a transwomen is allowed in to the Olympics 100m, wins gold and breaks 10.49 seconds set by Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988.

Do you think it will be seen by the world population as a success for female sport and equality? or will the majority say it not a proper record.

and before anyone says the above is just hypothetical. It is exactly a possible if not the likely scenario if trans women are allowed to compete as equals in women's sport.
There's only one poster on PR who would think that was a good outcome.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Tehui wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 am
madman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 am So if a transwomen is allowed in to the Olympics 100m, wins gold and breaks 10.49 seconds set by Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988.

There's only one poster on PR who would think that was a good outcome.
Two AC & MB
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

:roll:

Anyway, excellent article here on what Laurel Hubbard is about to face.
Controversy generates online clicks and television ratings and you can bet your bottom dollar that global media outlets will have a field day with this.

Here in New Zealand, where we tend to empathise with people and try to treat them with respect, Hubbard has enjoyed a pretty good ride. It's a brave journalist that expresses too strident an opinion where she's concerned.

As much as the Olympics are about heroes, the media are just as enthused about villains. And when they find one, they don't just out them, they hound them.
:nod:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/442032 ... cott-calls
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:57 am :roll:

Controversy generates online clicks and television ratings and you can bet your bottom dollar that global media outlets will have a field day with this.

Here in New Zealand, where we tend to empathise with people and try to treat them with respect, Hubbard has enjoyed a pretty good ride. It's a brave journalist that expresses too strident an opinion where she's concerned.

As much as the Olympics are about heroes, the media are just as enthused about villains. And when they find one, they don't just out them, they hound them.

Victim :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

What a weird article. It presents no arguments or counterarguments, from either side, apart from "Laurel is really brave for putting herself through this". We need Jacinda to come out and tell us to be kind.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Actually, she drives like a woman. Case closed.
Personal life
In January 2019, Hubbard pleaded guilty to careless driving causing injury after an incident in October 2018 which left another driver with severe spinal injuries. She paid reparations and was disqualified from driving for one month.

Edit - it's a joke.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Jerome Manning wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 am

What a weird article. It presents no arguments or counterarguments, from either side, apart from "Laurel is really brave for putting herself through this". We need Jacinda to come out and tell us to be kind.
Fat lot of good that did telling 'the team of 5 million' to 'be kind' during the covid lockdown. Meanwhile abuse of frontline supermarket staff has gone through the roof according to news reports following that stabbing in Dunedin.

Oh well it's still great marketing spin for dear Jacinda. Results might show the opposite has occurred but that's irrelevant.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

booji boy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 am

Fat lot of good that did telling 'the team of 5 million' to 'be kind' during the covid lockdown.
:? I thought we were pretty good. Even you suspended your swivel-eyed Tory persona for a few months when you realised how lucky you were.

Short memory though because you are back at it in spades. :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 am
booji boy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 am

Fat lot of good that did telling 'the team of 5 million' to 'be kind' during the covid lockdown.
:? I thought we were pretty good. Even you suspended your swivel-eyed Tory persona for a few months when you realised how lucky you were.

Short memory though because you are back at it in spades. :lol:
So what is your view on the dramatic increase in verbal and physical assaults on frontline supermarket staff during lockdown then? The very period where Jacinda was imploring us to 'be kind' on an almost daily basis during her 1pm televised party political broadcast.
Last edited by booji boy on Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Great, now the monotonous NZ politics trolling has moved into other threads now. It's death by spam.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

booji boy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 am

So what is your view on the dramatic increase in verbal and physical assaults on frontline supermarket staff during lockdown then? The very period where Jacinda was imploring us to 'be kind' on an almost daily basis during her 1pm televised broadcast.
I believe the rise in abuse of shop workers during the pandemic has been a global phenomenon
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 am
booji boy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 am

So what is your view on the dramatic increase in verbal and physical assaults on frontline supermarket staff during lockdown then? The very period where Jacinda was imploring us to 'be kind' on an almost daily basis during her 1pm televised broadcast.
I believe the rise in abuse of shop workers during the pandemic has been a global phenomenon
Entirely understandable in the rest of the globe but not in Godzone where our wonderful, glorious, smiling, empathetic leader implores us to 'be kind'. I just can't figure it out? 🤔
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:42 am Great, now the monotonous NZ politics trolling has moved into other threads now. It's death by spam.
It's all Jerome Manning's fault. He started it. :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I think it's a classic "don't tread on landmines" piece from a journalist.
madman

Post by madman »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am

Of course she is going to be in for a hard time, she is competing somewhere we many believe she does not belong, and it is different to women started play "male" sports, and people rejected because it was not "lady like"... In Laurel case many know she has an unfair advantage and is taking away opportunities from women.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

You are remarkably thick for a teacher.

It's not a "don't tread on landmines" piece. Bidwell clearly states his intention in the opening and introductory paragraph. The article was to be about Laurel Hubbard's road ahead, not an analysis of the rights and wrongs of transgender inclusion in sport.

"Don't tread on landmines" is what you do with every single post.
madman

Post by madman »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:15 am

You are remarkably thick for a teacher.

It's not a "don't tread on landmines" piece. Bidwell clearly states his intention in the opening and introductory paragraph. The article was to be about Laurel Hubbard's road ahead, not an analysis of the rights and wrongs of transgender inclusion in sport.

"Don't tread on landmines" is what you do with every single post.
Actually the article says that she has every right to be at the Olympics as a women as she meets the criteria, but people are going to be mean to her which is unfair and she is brave person to deal with all the horrible people. - It does not address or even acknowledge the arguments against her going at all, it makes the assumption that she should be there full stop.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

:? He's not made an argument for or against as was the intention of the article. He dispassionately states the fact she is eligible under weightlifting and Olympic rules to attend. So, does not get involved in the rights or wrongs, just says what's happening.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Muttonbirds wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:19 pm :? He's not made an argument for or against as was the intention of the article. He dispassionately states the fact she is eligible under weightlifting and Olympic rules to attend. So, does not get involved in the rights or wrongs, just says what's happening.
So, doesn't articular the case why she may be in for a hard time. Landmines avoided.