The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

All things Rugby
Luckycharmer

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2021?

Post by Luckycharmer »

TheBouncer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am Yup Mare of Eastown is the goods. Bit formulaic to start I thought but really motoring now. HBO are the bomb.
Where are you watching this, need a new drama series. Finished zerozerozero recently excellent.
Getting through West wing never saw it but need something with a bit of action.

A show I never hear mentioned which I really like is Archer.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

4Bags wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am Just started on the 4th season of Fargo (Channel 4), really enjoying it. Salvatore Esposito (from Gomorrah) turns up as a psycho mafia character (type cast?) . Definitely worth a go.
Really enjoyed it. My one complaint was that it seemed to finish 1 episode early - the last show was a just a bit of a roundup.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

lilyw wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am
TheBouncer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am Yup Mare of Eastown is the goods. Bit formulaic to start I thought but really motoring now. HBO are the bomb.
It's dreadful. How many cliches can you pile into 1 series?

Kate Winslet trying to prove that she's a serious actress by not wearing makeup. Every family has a drug problem. Lesbian daughter. Beer with every meal because that's what rust-belt American loser families do. Scandi colour palette. Clerical sex abuse. Confusing obnoxiousness with character depth.

How Jean Smart got conned into playing the one-note grandmother after her lead in Watchmen....?

It's unremittingly awful.
You've just peaked my interest... :lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Good rule of thumb with lily is to go in the opposite direction to his opinion.

I've only watched the first episode though so can't comment fully!
Premier Red

Post by Premier Red »

Luckycharmer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:43 am
Where are you watching this, need a new drama series. Finished zerozerozero recently excellent.

Its only available on Sky Atlantic/NOW TV here....I think NOW TV offers a free 7 day trial if you haven't done so already.....
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Premier Red wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:55 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:43 am

Its only available on Sky Atlantic/NOW TV here....I think NOW TV offers a free 7 day trial if you haven't done so already.....
Tks I have ways of finding it :thumbup:
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

CM11 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm Good rule of thumb with lily is to go in the opposite direction to his opinion.

I've only watched the first episode though so can't comment fully!
Ah bless!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Series 4 of Snowfall is excellent.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Yeah really good watch
Wished I waited to binge though, binged the first four that are out and now feel like an idiot

For all mankind
The NASA stuff is great but there's just too much other network tv stuff in between for me
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Snowfall truly is a hidden gem. How is not more well known?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

El Homerino wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:48 am Snowfall truly is a hidden gem. How is not more well known?
Who is streaming it
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:46 pm
El Homerino wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:48 am Snowfall truly is a hidden gem. How is not more well known?
Who is streaming it
Disney, I think.
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:46 pm
Who is streaming it

BBC Iplayer have it tucked away in the BBC3 section of the site. Fill your boots!
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

towny wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm
paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 am Watched the Ma,ndalorian and enjoyed it. Only quibble is the occasional made for Xbox/PS scene. Bot sure I get the "Side quest of the week" criticism. It's about a bounty hunter.

Watched one and a half episode of Your Honor but couldn't go any further.

Watched most of Behind her eyes which was good up until they introduced this insane plot device but I'm told it ends well.

The Looming tower is enjoyable(CIA vs FBI in the run up to 911)7

Quite enjoyed the man in the high castle.

Have been watching colombo episodes on and off. It's very formulaic and can't help but feels it's state propaganda for the masses. (Rich person with loose morals thinks they're smarter than the law, but working class Colombo pulls them up)
Mandolin theme is based on a common premise in a lot of old westerns - a nameless dude with complicated morals who fights for people in hopeless situations against bullies.

Think Pale Rider or Kung Fu.

The music is straight out of a 70’s Hollywood western. It’s even set in the desert. In space!! :)

I really liked “Gallery” - show on Disney+ that has the actors and directors going deep into the show and Into Star Wars itself. Hearing how much they give a fark explained to me why the show is so good. They know what they’re doing and they really care about it.
Exactly.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am
paddyor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 am Watched the Ma,ndalorian and enjoyed it. Only quibble is the occasional made for Xbox/PS scene. Bot sure I get the "Side quest of the week" criticism. It's about a bounty hunter.

Watched most of Behind her eyes which was good up until they introduced this insane plot device but I'm told it ends well.

Have been watching colombo episodes on and off. It's very formulaic and can't help but feels it's state propaganda for the masses. (Rich person with loose morals thinks they're smarter than the law, but working class Colombo pulls them up)
I didn't notice that at all - you're going to struggle with Zack Snyder's Justice League, it has Ninetendo64/Sega Saturn cut scenes.

I just finished Man in the High Castle - they fvcked the ending completely.
The first episode where he has to learn how to ride a mudhorn when he meets quill. The episode where they attack the lab and have to escape thru a canyon in a kind of tank shooting their pursuers(every game ever made). There were CGI cutscenes that could have been from a game. Now maybe this is just a feedback loop where games become an influence on TV narratives and none of this appears in the game of the Mandalorian but it's still a bit jarring.
towny

Post by towny »

Re: Mando ‘side quest’ criticism: it’s intentionally themed on the old westerns matinees where each week had a new adventure. Think the Virginian and Kung Fu. Then throw in the Spaghetti western music and the nameless anti-hero Clint Eastwood in 50 westerns) who stumbles into town and sorts out some bullies on behalf of innocents at great risk because of ……….

The show is just a western and the familiar themes, which are so different than the general Star Wars vibe, is a big reason why it’s genuinely cool. I love Star Wars but it was never cool before this point.

On another note, the effect from keeping Mando in a helmet for 2 seasons has significant impact but I’m not able to express exactly why.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Just watched the first episode of The Underground Railway that is a pretty brutal drama that tracks the escape of two slaves from a southern plantation as they make their way north staying in safe houses while being chased by bounty hunters. High productions values and decent opening episode. :thumbup:
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

danny_fitz wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 pm Just watched the first episode of The Underground Railway that is a pretty brutal drama that tracks the escape of two slaves from a southern plantation as they make their way north staying in safe houses while being chased by bounty hunters. High productions values and decent opening episode. :thumbup:
Yeah, I watched the first episode last night. It is very well put together and definitely got my interest
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

towny wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:45 pm Re: Mando ‘side quest’ criticism: it’s intentionally themed on the old westerns matinees where each week had a new adventure. Think the Virginian and Kung Fu. Then throw in the Spaghetti western music and the nameless anti-hero Clint Eastwood in 50 westerns) who stumbles into town and sorts out some bullies on behalf of innocents at great risk because of ……….

The show is just a western and the familiar themes, which are so different than the general Star Wars vibe, is a big reason why it’s genuinely cool. I love Star Wars but it was never cool before this point.

On another note, the effect from keeping Mando in a helmet for 2 seasons has significant impact but I’m not able to express exactly why.
The score is brilliant. Like a mix of John Williams and spaghetti western. I liked the way it poked fun at Stars Wars like the 2 storm troopers sitting on the speeders ("he just killed a guy for doing something wrong") who can't shoot a can 10m away.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

paddyor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:02 pm
towny wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:45 pm Re: Mando ‘side quest’ criticism: it’s intentionally themed on the old westerns matinees where each week had a new adventure. Think the Virginian and Kung Fu. Then throw in the Spaghetti western music and the nameless anti-hero Clint Eastwood in 50 westerns) who stumbles into town and sorts out some bullies on behalf of innocents at great risk because of ……….

The score is brilliant. Like a mix of John Williams and spaghetti western. I liked the way it poked fun at Stars Wars like the 2 storm troopers sitting on the speeders ("he just killed a guy for doing something wrong") who can't shoot a can 10m away.
Taika Waititi directed that final episode. That was him all over.

They're not Stormtroopers btw, they're Biker Scouts :P
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

paddyor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I didn't notice that at all - you're going to struggle with Zack Snyder's Justice League, it has Ninetendo64/Sega Saturn cut scenes.

The first episode where he has to learn how to ride a mudhorn when he meets quill. The episode where they attack the lab and have to escape thru a canyon in a kind of tank shooting their pursuers(every game ever made). There were CGI cutscenes that could have been from a game. Now maybe this is just a feedback loop where games become an influence on TV narratives and none of this appears in the game of the Mandalorian but it's still a bit jarring.
So, I'm a bit confused, are you talking about the content or the standard of effects? I assumed the standard of effects hence my response about Hack's movie.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

paddyor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 pm

As games have more technological scope, I'll be curious to see where they drive narratives. "Episode of the week"/"side-quest" story-telling has its charms when done right, but it can be rather jarring.

I loved the Witcher 3, but spending a day searching for plans to make ancient armour whilst your ostensible daughter is imperiled isn't really great story-telling.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

mr bungle wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:11 pm
paddyor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Taika Waititi directed that final episode. That was him all over.

They're not Stormtroopers btw, they're Biker Scouts :P
Love his stuff..
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

UncleFB wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:32 am So, I'm a bit confused, are you talking about the content or the standard of effects? I assumed the standard of effects hence my response about Hack's movie.
I meant the content. Like there's scenes there that will be ported directly into whatever game they eventually make from it. And at times it felt like that was what was driving plot points. I still enjoyed it, just the first time I've really noticed it in a TV series.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:41 am Probably not one for the Manly Men that frequent this bored, but I watched Shadow and Bone with the missus recently, and I'd give it a solid 7/10. It betrays it's YA roots from time to time, but it's talented cast just about squeeze it through all the world building.

It's also probably the first fantasy TV show I've seen where the production values match later season Game of Thrones. The whole thing looks on point for pseudo-19th century Russian steampunk. Some of the other netflix fantasy stuff look terrible at times (even the feted Witcher had scenes where the surroundings were so cheap looking they looked like they at been pulled Xena Warrior Princess).
:blush: :blush: I'm a 'manly man' ........really, I am.
lilyw

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by lilyw »

lilyw wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:02 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:14 pm
TheBouncer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 pm ZeroZeroZero is exceptional.
yup, that and Your Honour are streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment
ZeroZeroZero is class, but it's a touch too spare. A lot of the characters might have benefited from being sketched out in more detail.

I couldn't believe they kept doing that flashback cut to tell the same stories from multiple points. Actually worked quite well.

The cinematography was amazing as well.
Could have done with spending a few pounds for extra lights on set.
I finally got to watch the last 2 episodes of Zerozerozero. It's a really great ending, nicely morally ambiguous.

While they certainly left room for a sequel I believe that there isn't going to be one. Probably just as well - it's hard to see how s2 could avoid being a retread.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:41 am Probably not one for the Manly Men that frequent this bored, but I watched Shadow and Bone with the missus recently, and I'd give it a solid 7/10. It betrays it's YA roots from time to time, but it's talented cast just about squeeze it through all the world building.

It's also probably the first fantasy TV show I've seen where the production values match later season Game of Thrones. The whole thing looks on point for pseudo-19th century Russian steampunk. Some of the other netflix fantasy stuff look terrible at times (even the feted Witcher had scenes where the surroundings were so cheap looking they looked like they at been pulled Xena Warrior Princess).
I also watched this, I thought the production values fell off a cliff in the second half of the season tbh. Particularly any outdoor scenes. Was quite impressed by it visually in the first half but thought just everything went downhill as it went on.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I also watched this, I thought the production values fell off a cliff in the second half of the season tbh. Particularly any outdoor scenes. Was quite impressed by it visually in the first half but thought just everything went downhill as it went on.
I thought the acting in the main, was utter shite.....special mention for the brooding gangster with the limp.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

The Sun God wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:39 pm
danthefan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I thought the acting in the main, was utter shite.....special mention for the brooding gangster with the limp.
Yeah they were all a bit shit.
anonymous_joe

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

Post by anonymous_joe »

lilyw wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm
lilyw wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm
anonymous_joe wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:02 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:14 pm
TheBouncer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 pm ZeroZeroZero is exceptional.
yup, that and Your Honour are streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment
ZeroZeroZero is class, but it's a touch too spare. A lot of the characters might have benefited from being sketched out in more detail.

I couldn't believe they kept doing that flashback cut to tell the same stories from multiple points. Actually worked quite well.

The cinematography was amazing as well.
Could have done with spending a few pounds for extra lights on set.
I finally got to watch the last 2 episodes of Zerozerozero. It's a really great ending, nicely morally ambiguous.

While they certainly left room for a sequel I believe that there isn't going to be one. Probably just as well - it's hard to see how s2 could avoid being a retread.
You could do something similar for heroin.

Gomorrah has had episodes/the film outside of Italy, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

But I agree that it would be too much of the same thing again.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

well, that last episode of Mare of Easttown was quite brilliant ; cant post anything about it really without it being a spoiler
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:10 am well, that last episode of Mare of Easttown was quite brilliant ; cant post anything about it really without it being a spoiler
Yeah it was brilliant, very cleverly done .

On another note did anyone watch Startup on Netflix , completely ludicrous but I managed to get sucked in to watching 2 full seasons in the space of a week :lol:
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Mare was good, not brilliant.
ticketlessinseattle

Conspicuous wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:10 am well, that last episode of Mare of Easttown was quite brilliant ; cant post anything about it really without it being a spoiler

On another note did anyone watch Startup on Netflix , completely ludicrous but I managed to get sucked in to watching 2 full seasons in the space of a week :lol:
I watched the first episode....I hover around watching 2nd episode but never quite make it
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

I really enjoyed the series, but the finale was heading down the Line of Duty path of twisting itself inside and out...

I almost expected this...
Spoiler: show
I was honestly waiting to see if Erin's baby did it...
To see spoiler, preview quote...
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Watching "The Great".

Comic take on Catherine the great of Russia. If find it very funny, but comedies are usually the genre that throws up the most difference of opinion. Has some of the satirical and farcical elements of Blackadder without the same comic tone.

Certainly worth checking out the first episode to see if it's your thing.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Anyone watch Jupiter Rising on Netflix? I'm not sure quite how I feel about it, it wasnt terrible but nothing particularly gripping about it although did build to an interesting cliff hanger for a second series. It comes across as a less visceral and less black-humoured version of The Boys, same sort of idea in that the heroes aren't perfect and have their own demons but nowhere near as good as the Boys was
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:11 am
Conspicuous wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am

I watched the first episode....I hover around watching 2nd episode but never quite make it
It was on amazon prime, have watched all series, it is pretty good even if the main character Izzy is very annoying.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

jezzer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:08 pm Watching "The Great".

Comic take on Catherine the great of Russia. If find it very funny, but comedies are usually the genre that throws up the most difference of opinion. Has some of the satirical and farcical elements of Blackadder without the same comic tone.

Certainly worth checking out the first episode to see if it's your thing.
Watched it on Channel 4 it is not bad, Elle Fanning very good didn't realise American actress until looked it up.
ticketlessinseattle

watched 1st episode of the new Frog with Chris Rock, looks good enough ; loved the 1st 2 seasons, bit meh on the 3rd with Ewan McGregor(s) ; have a feeling its going to be somewhere in the middle