Aussie underworld f*cked

All things Rugby
Ted.

Re: Aussie underworld f*cked

Post by Ted. »

towny wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:26 am 3 years :shock:

Imagine the discipline required to pull this off. Cops from how many countries and agencies? How many crimes must they have let happen to wait for the big pay-off? How many careers could have been made along the way with a raid or a bust? Just the willpower to resist that kind of political pressure is extraordinary.

This will be in Hollywood ASAP
I imagine on a few occasions some lad with tats and a badger haircut was quietly dragged off to the cop shop before they managed to carry out a hit or some other nefarious activity, but yes, I also imagine that quite a bit of crime went down under the eye of the law. Bloody fantastic, isn't it. :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Newsome wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 am
guy smiley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:23 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 am This is such an amazing story. The more you read it the more you just go "wow".

They create an app that requires certification from an existing user, promised 100% encryption, and let it loose in criminal circles and just watched the messages roll in. Anyone who was anyone in these circles used phones with this app....hahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

Also, that dude is so very dead.
Yeah, he's screwed and the cops clearly have no love for him as they've hung him right out in the breeze to dry nicely, when usually they'll make some effort to protect those who help them.

Also... how stupid do a whole bunch of self declared heroes and superstars feel right about now?

Better get a lawyer, son...

better get yourself a real good one
Could it, paradoxically, be the opposite? By putting his name out there, the police are also saying, we are paying attention to him, so you better stay clear?

I remember watching a documentary about Joseph Pistone (the FBI agent Donnie Brasco was based on) and they asked the FBI, why didn't the mafia go after him once they knew who he was?

The FBI agent said that there was a contract out on his life, but the head of the agency went around to the bosses of the 5 families and said if you touch him we will f ucking end you.

Dunno, just thinking out loud.
Why wouldn't they just end them anyway if you they could?

Problem solved.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 am This is such an amazing story. The more you read it the more you just go "wow".

They create an app that requires certification from an existing user, promised 100% encryption, and let it loose in criminal circles and just watched the messages roll in. Anyone who was anyone in these circles used phones with this app....hahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

Yeah, he's screwed and the cops clearly have no love for him as they've hung him right out in the breeze to dry nicely, when usually they'll make some effort to protect those who help them.

Also... how stupid do a whole bunch of self declared heroes and superstars feel right about now?

Could it, paradoxically, be the opposite? By putting his name out there, the police are also saying, we are paying attention to him, so you better stay clear?

I remember watching a documentary about Joseph Pistone (the FBI agent Donnie Brasco was based on) and they asked the FBI, why didn't the mafia go after him once they knew who he was?

The FBI agent said that there was a contract out on his life, but the head of the agency went around to the bosses of the 5 families and said if you touch him we will f ucking end you.

Problem solved.
a) You need to do it legally
b) What will replace them?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The Borg
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

So essentially what it came down to is…

The AFP and FBI got together over a few beers to discuss season 3 of The Wire, and by the last round found their
Bernard?
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:58 am So essentially what it came down to is…

The AFP and FBI got together over a few beers to discuss season 3 of The Wire, and by the last round found their
Bernard?
The funny thing is, they're not even Greek.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Funniest thing is that the phones were publically exposed as fake in March:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Farva wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:49 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 am

Problem solved.
a) You need to do it legally
b) What will replace them?
"Say what you will about organized crime, at least it's organized."
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Clogs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 am Doesn't look like he he is the sort that would do much volunteer work in the local community...

Yakuza-level tattoo there.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I've heard those arrested in NZ are being represented by Dennis Buchanan.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Clogs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 am Doesn't look like he he is the sort that would do much volunteer work in the local community...

Traps like a female rower!
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:01 pm

:lol:
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Saw a good tv prog about this a few weeks ago.
Australian crime show?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-06-08/
It began when U.S. officials paid a convicted drug trafficker to give them access to a smartphone that he had customised, on which he was installing ANOM, also styled An0m, a secure encrypted messaging app. The phones were then sold to organised crime networks through underworld distributors.

The FBI helped to infiltrate 12,000 devices into 300 criminal groups in more than 100 countries, Calvin Shivers of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division told reporters in The Hague.
The operation also revealed that gangs were being tipped off about police actions, which prompted "numerous high-level public corruption cases in several countries", according to an affidavit from an FBI agent.
kahrummmbah
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:40 pm https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-06-08/
It began when U.S. officials paid a convicted drug trafficker to give them access to a smartphone that he had customised, on which he was installing ANOM, also styled An0m, a secure encrypted messaging app. The phones were then sold to organised crime networks through underworld distributors.

The FBI helped to infiltrate 12,000 devices into 300 criminal groups in more than 100 countries, Calvin Shivers of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division told reporters in The Hague.
The operation also revealed that gangs were being tipped off about police actions, which prompted "numerous high-level public corruption cases in several countries", according to an affidavit from an FBI agent.
kahrummmbah
Are you saying he’s in NQ? Don’t come the raw prawn with me.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

lorcanoworms wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:59 pm Saw a good tv prog about this a few weeks ago.
Australian crime show?
Are you sure?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Clogs wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 am

Very good, Mog. Would have been even better if you'd said kayaker.
Sundy

Post by Sundy »

Bindi wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:32 pm Funniest thing is that the phones were publically exposed as fake in March:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au
I love this part
STAY AWAY FROM ANOM IF YOU VALUE YOUR PRIVACY & SAFEY, THEY ARE COMPROMISED, LIARS AND YOUR DATA IS RUNNING VIA USA – Passed onto LAW ENFORCEMENT and other Entities
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

This is a good outcome, but looking at it at a different angle I can’t help but think the police have shot themselves in the foot here. They have revealed how they trapped the crims with the encrypted program. They would have been better keeping quiet about that aspect. Crims will know what to be careful of now. The void will be filled quickly and it will be harder to catch them now.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 am This is a good outcome, but looking at it at a different angle I can’t help but think the police have shot themselves in the foot here. They have revealed how they trapped the crims with the encrypted program. They would have been better keeping quiet about that aspect. Crims will know what to be careful of now. The void will be filled quickly and it will be harder to catch them now.

See the above post. It was already known the phones weren't legit. Crims would have started to catch on eventually.
towny

Post by towny »

Bindi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:08 am
les@mooloolaba wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 am This is a good outcome, but looking at it at a different angle I can’t help but think the police have shot themselves in the foot here. They have revealed how they trapped the crims with the encrypted program. They would have been better keeping quiet about that aspect. Crims will know what to be careful of now. The void will be filled quickly and it will be harder to catch them now.

See the above post. It was already known the phones weren't legit. Crims would have started to catch on eventually.
Yep. At some stage they had to arrest everyone. At trial they would have had to produce the evidence - no chance to keep everyone from finding out. I guess something happened and they realised that this was the best time to round everyone up.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 pm

Yep. At some stage they had to arrest everyone. At trial they would have had to produce the evidence - no chance to keep everyone from finding out. I guess something happened and they realised that this was the best time to round everyone up.
Yes, it's the classic dilemma with how best to utilize / maximize the use of a good intelligence source. if you keep moving (arrests, etc.) on all the intel / crimes you are given via this source, the source dries up very quickly. But then you have the tradeoff where you have to decide which crimes you 'ignore' so that they don't catch on too quickly, and I imagine that gets very murky all too soon.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Morgan14 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Yes, it's the classic dilemma with how best to utilize / maximize the use of a good intelligence source. if you keep moving (arrests, etc.) on all the intel / crimes you are given via this source, the source dries up very quickly. But then you have the tradeoff where you have to decide which crimes you 'ignore' so that they don't catch on too quickly, and I imagine that gets very murky all too soon.

Have you seen 'The Imitation Game' ?
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm
Morgan14 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Have you seen 'The Imitation Game' ?
No, is it along this premise? Is it good? (I do like a good spy movie)
Edit: Sorry, didn't recognize the name as the Alan Turing movie - haven't seen it, but yeah, that's it isn't it (crack the enigma code, but have to decide what to act on)
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Brilliant movie, well worth watching. I actually studied Turing machines as part of a subject I did at uni. I thought they were brilliant and wondered why they hadn't been a huge part of modern computer folklore. Then they declassed Bletchley and I knew why.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:02 pm Brilliant movie, well worth watching. I actually studied Turing machines as part of a subject I did at uni. I thought they were brilliant and wondered why they hadn't been a huge part of modern computer folklore. Then they declassed Bletchley and I knew why.
That's very cool!
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

It would have come out in the trial.

This is nothing new, phones and communication lines have always been an issue with crims, what’s staggering is how far the stupidity reached in this instance.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Thomas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm
lorcanoworms wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:59 pm Saw a good tv prog about this a few weeks ago.
Australian crime show?
Are you sure?
[/quote
I t covered the same efforts in the UK and the States.

It covered the same efforts in the UK and the states.

Will do a search later.
towny

Post by towny »

Harveys wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:52 am

This is nothing new, phones and communication lines have always been an issue with crims, what’s staggering is how far the stupidity reached in this instance.
This is very new. The cops didn’t bug phones or have a wire tap - you can’t do that with the tech the crims are using.

What the cops did was very clever.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:39 pm

This is very new. The cops didn’t bug phones or have a wire tap - you can’t do that with the tech the crims are using.

Bugs are old school, cops here are able to track at all times and use smartphones as listening devices. You won’t find a serious crim here now comfortable around smart phones at all,
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Bugs are old school, cops here are able to track at all times and use smartphones as listening devices. You won’t find a serious crim here now comfortable around smart phones at all,
How do they use smartphones as listening devices?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:15 pm

They load the computer device which has a large microphone with technology that broadcasts.

There’s been a couple of murder cases here recently where phones collected and stored before crimes have been proved to have all been together (in a rugby club house in one case) even though they’ve been switched off. (Phones also are passive receivers).
Last edited by bimboman on Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:20 pm

They load the computer device which has a large microphone with technology that broadcasts.
Where is it loaded? Is it an app, malware or something?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Malware. It’s not like the “fitness” app you use to prove you’ve been out for a run to the misses.

The varying levels of tech known are years behind what’s being used. You’re right though about this recent thing, though the clever thing was getting it used.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Malware. It’s not like the “fitness” app you use to prove you’ve been out for a run to the misses.

The varying levels of tech known are years behind what’s being used. You’re right though about this recent thing, though the clever thing was getting it used.
Malware makes sense. If I was a crim, I’d using pigeons and invisible ink.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Malware makes sense. If I was a crim, I’d using pigeons and invisible ink.

Yep, one of the court cases I’m thinking of was the trial for this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tq6s
towny

Post by towny »

I will watch that!
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

The details aren’t in themselves relevant. They all jumped on and were taken down by their communication medium.

It was proven years ago VPN and encryption wasn’t guaranteed safety after taking down Silk Road. Sure this is different, however it’s same but different. Same old story.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

lorcanoworms wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm
Australian crime show?
Are you sure?
[/quote
I t covered the same efforts in the UK and the States.

It covered the same efforts in the UK and the states.

Will do a search later.
I only ask because this is literally breaking news right now.