Perth All Black vs Wallaby Test Cancelled?

All things Rugby
puku

Re: Perth All Black vs Wallaby Test Cancelled?

Post by puku »

So it is back on.

Can we now conclude that those running RA are a bunch of cüntz?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Great News.

I assume there will be some sort of Revenue sharing between all 4 nations?
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 pm Great News.

Another one that's all about the money. You see, this is why you are not spiritual guardians.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:33 pm
Whatever wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:27 pm
towny wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:38 pm NZ wasn’t able to get their money spinners in the UK, so this is a great result.

Anyone know how much coin RA will bank in the next couple of months? My calculator doesn’t have that many zeroes.
So all this angst was just about money? I am dismayed.
Yep.
:lol:

You were crying your eyes out last week about NZR looking after their own financial interests. What flavour lollipop changed your tune this time?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Whatever wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Another one that's all about the money. You see, this is why you are not spiritual guardians.
It would be naive to assume that the NZRU disregarded financial considerations entirely but clearly there was a hierarchy of issues when it confronted Marinos about his underwhelming performance to date.

Once Marinos understood the risk to the Perth test, he would have asked Robinson what was important to NZRU and Robinson would have replied, as any good Kiwi would, “He tangata, he tangata, he tangata”. It was completely unacceptable that there wasn’t certainty for the All Blacks, Springboks and Pumas. Marinos had to stop prematurely counting the proceeds from Perth and had to deliver enough certainty for all three squads to get on a plane.

Robinson’s firm use of leverage shook AR from its complacency and delivered a fantastic result for the All Blacks and for the Boks and the Pumas and a grateful rugby world owes him a debt of gratitude, but his humility will prevent him from making that point himself.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Mr Mike wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm
Whatever wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:17 pm

It would be naive to assume that the NZRU disregarded financial considerations entirely but clearly there was a hierarchy of issues when it confronted Marinos about his underwhelming performance to date.

Once Marinos understood the risk to the Perth test, he would have asked Robinson what was important to NZRU and Robinson would have replied, as any good Kiwi would, “He tangata, he tangata, he tangata”. It was completely unacceptable that there wasn’t certainty for the All Blacks, Springboks and Pumas. Marinos had to stop prematurely counting the proceeds from Perth and had to deliver enough certainty for all three squads to get on a plane.

Robinson’s firm use of leverage shook AR from its complacency and delivered a fantastic result for the All Blacks and for the Boks and the Pumas and a grateful rugby world owes him a debt of gratitude, but his humility will prevent him from making that point himself.
Word. Marinos probably think 'tangata' is a type of Sydney metro train, hence the transportation misunderstanding.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Robinson folded RA over their own executive camp chair and hebeasted them into agreeing with his suggestions...

and now they'll scurry around claiming a victory while trying to keep the sticking plasters from pulling the hairs off their buttcheeks.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Well well well, if you go back to about page 2, I said I bet my balls this test would still be played.
All the hysterical whingers really need to take deep breath, and perhaps go for a walk clear their minds, some of the posts look like the writers are heading for a breakdown.
The title of the thread needs to be changed to
Perth All Black vs Wallaby test POSTPONED for a week
with perhaps a subtitle
While RA gets themselves sorted out! ;)
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Dan54. wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:31 pm Well well well, if you go back to about page 2, I said I bet my balls this test would still be played.
All the hysterical whingers really need to take deep breath, and perhaps go for a walk clear their minds, some of the posts look like the writers are heading for a breakdown.
with perhaps a subtitle
Is this the official match thread then? 😃
puku

Post by puku »

I had just yesterday cancelled my monthly FloSports subscription :x

Fück youse Marinos...though apparently I can get a 20% discount to rejoin :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Im amused by the kiwis claiming a victory, despite the games not going the Twickenham for the profiteering maximum.

It's been all about money, but we're desperate for it, and you're flush. Putting our revenue streams at grave risk is a f**ked thing for a partner to do. We're likely to make much less than expected out of the Perth test due to this cowardly (and/or money grubbing) cancellation that has now been revealed to be completly unessesary.

So fudge Robinson, fudge the NZRU, and fudge any poster that supports them (the union and the ceo, not the team).
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Zakar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm Im amused by the kiwis claiming a victory, despite the games not going the Twickenham for the profiteering maximum.

It's been all about money, but we're desperate for it, and you're flush. Putting our revenue streams at grave risk is a f**ked thing for a partner to do. We're likely to make much less than expected out of the Perth test due to this cowardly (and/or money grubbing) cancellation that has now been revealed to be completly unessesary.

So fudge Robinson, fudge the NZRU, and fudge any poster that supports them (the union and the ceo, not the team).
ImageI saved a few for you
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

towny wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:34 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:30 am Another good'un...

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/the-rugb ... ills-paid/
The Rugby Championship is the only thing keeping NZR's bills paid

One thing is keeping the wolf from New Zealand Rugby’s (NZR) door.

One thing stands between them and financial oblivion. It could have been two things, except NZR completely cocked up the first.

I’m not bothered about who’s right in this public spat between NZR and Rugby Australia. All I know is that without SANZAAR and that body’s broadcast agreements, NZR is stuffed.

If I’m NZR chief executive, I have two main items on the to-do list for 2021: drive through the private equity agreement with Silver Lake and keep SANZAAR sweet.

The Silver Lake thing came down to two parties as well. Robinson had to convince the lemmings from the 26 provincial unions to give Silver Lake the thumbs up, as well as the players’ association.

The unions were no trouble. They’re beholden to NZR and wouldn’t exist without the governing body’s generosity, so that took no work.

Imagine our surprise then when NZR - largely through the big mouth of former chairman Brent Impey - declared the Silver Lake deal a slam dunk.

Now I’ve been a proponent of NZR trying to generate revenue from non-broadcast markets. I’ve been critical of the New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association (NZRPA) and their propensity to take, but never give.

They’re seemingly happy to receive money, but never support NZR’s attempts to earn it.

But you can’t go public with details of a private equity deal - as NZR did - when one of the parties with the ability to scupper that hasn’t been adequately consulted, let alone agreed to it.

But then arrogance has become a hallmark of the way NZR do business.

They’ll tell other nations how it is, whether it be when and where the All Blacks will be prepared to play them, how much of the gate they’d like and who they’re prepared to let into their competitions.

Lest we forget that’s how last year’s Tri-Nations ended up in Australia.

We want these teams in Super Rugby, for instance, and you Australian non-entities should be glad we’ve deigned to include you at all.

Heck, we’ll even stage back-to-back Bledisloe Cup tests at Eden Park and you’ll have to like it. Only not many people did and the stadium was barely half-full.

But I digress.

The Silver Lake deal has not gone through and NZR are the best part of $400 million poorer because of it.

Robinson and Impey, who presided over a $34 million loss for NZR in 2020, had one group to keep onside here and they couldn’t. Far from it, in fact.

The more Impey spoke, the more the NZRPA were inclined to walk away from negotiations.

Now I hope Robinson went through the appropriate channels when it came to informing RA the All Blacks wouldn’t be playing the Wallabies in Perth this Saturday.

Maybe Robinson was just being flippant when he told a radio station that senior All Blacks were texting senior Wallabies and, therefore, RA knew the game was a goner.

But to even throw that up as an example of the open dialogue between the two parties was laughable.

The All Blacks have to play this year; and not in some Mickey Mouse game against the United States either. They need to play Australia, South Africa and Argentina because they are essentially the only thing paying the bills right now.

When Covid-19 first hit, some of us talked of New Zealand going it alone. Of starting from scratch and building a more domestically-based model that showcased our game to the world.

An all-singing, all-dancing provincial competition and in-bound tours from other nations that covered the length and breadth of the country. A chance to return to a format that so enchanted fans for generations.

Only it wouldn’t pay its way, we were told. New Zealand Rugby needed Australia and South Africa, particularly, and multi-national competitions that attracted global sponsors and broadcasters.

New Zealand and it’s mighty All Blacks simply didn’t have the clout to go it alone or dictate terms.

So why are we thumbing our nose at RA then? Why is the clamour within South Africa to seek Northern Hemisphere partners growing? Why are we the ones seemingly putting the SANZAAR alliance under the greatest threat?

The idea of All Blacks exceptionalism has sustained us for more than a hundred years. We feel certain we have the best players, playing the best brand of rugby, and that everyone else can’t get enough of us.

But that exceptionalism doesn’t extend to NZR. No-one, it seems, is remotely impressed by them.

Not our players’ association and definitely not NZR’s so-called SANZAAR partners.

Whatever goodwill existed between NZR and RA is long gone now and Robinson and company are doing nothing to regenerate it. At every turn they seem to dismiss RA’s beliefs or feelings, at a time when we’ve actually never needed them more.

It’s immaterial who’s right or wrong here. It doesn’t matter who told who the All Blacks weren’t playing in Perth this week.

What matters here is that NZR appear to be drowning and there’s no-one left who’s prepared to throw them a life preserver.
You think this was a good article?
Silver Lake’s involvement isn’t generating $400m in revenue - rather its selling a chunk of revenue (not to be confused of profit) and a say in the game to ‘the man’. Every year NZR will give back a huge pile of money from their revenue. That’s money that could have gone to juniors, player salaries and shed brooms.
This sell-off was going to fund …….. unknown things. It’s required because of…… vague reasons. Would NZR have more money to pay player salaries? No. In fact, they may have less.

Why would the NZRPA agree to it? Why would anyone?

Rugby is a sport and no one owns it. To sell a chunk off, without a compelling reason, makes little sense to me. The kiwi players are seemingly the only ones in that organisation that have a clue.
Spot on, Towny. :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

ox wagon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:11 pm Word is our guys are heading to Queensland. Gets my vote. The Boks going to Aus then to the UK, didn't make much sense and assumed quite a lot about how much money could even be made doing that (you're not selling out 80k stadiums multiple times for non-RWC neutral matches with test tickets at usual NH prices).
I take it you are familiar with the 8 ball?
Last edited by Ted. on Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Zakar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm Im amused by the kiwis claiming a victory, despite the games not going the Twickenham for the profiteering maximum.

Zakar, isn't it the case now that the 2 AB v SA matches will now be played in Australia? That's quite a windfall, is it not? You can thank Jacinda and Iron Mark for that. You're welcome.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Whatever wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:23 pm

Zakar, isn't it the case now that the 2 AB v SA matches will now be played in Australia? That's quite a windfall, is it not? You can thank Jacinda and Iron Mark for that. You're welcome.
The revenue will be split.

We'll find out in time if that makes up for the rescheduling of the Perth test.
grievous

Post by grievous »

So the "look at me" performed by the NZRU over for now, the game will be played, Ill wait to see if they get on the plane first, they have form.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:25 pm

Imagine you had a competent CEO who had got off his arse and organised well instead of delaying things for everybody.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:47 pm
Dan54. wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:31 pm Well well well, if you go back to about page 2, I said I bet my balls this test would still be played.
with perhaps a subtitle
Is this the official match thread then? 😃
That'd be the mutts nuts. A game of three halves.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Imagine you had a competent CEO who had got off his arse and organised well instead of delaying things for everybody.
Speaking of which, when are we likely to see a revised fixture list for the Rugby Champ? I don't care so much about the last Australia game, but am interested in the Springbok matches - they will decide the winner.

I can book tickets for the match against the USA on Oct 23 in a country ravaged by Covid, but downunder we don't know who's playing in the next couple of weeks. Strange days.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

So The All Blacks have caved after being so roundly shamed and the matches will go ahead?

Storm in a tea cup?
naki

Post by naki »

It certainly won't make up for the sold out Dunedin and Eden Park tests scheduled for the Boks.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Imagine you had a business partner that made unreasonable demands with insufficient time to meet the deadlines set, and wasn't flexible enough to change.

MB was flying the flag earlier bragging that Jacinta got involved and McGowan didn't even know the game was on. He was wrong, but made a point in a roundabout way. Robinson can pick up the phone and Jacinta is eager to get on the phone, it's like Draghi getting a phone call from the Pope. Rugby here is sport #4, we don't get our leaders dropping to their knees to solve our problems. We have multiple states, which also cause multiple problems.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:53 pm

Imagine you had a business partner that made unreasonable demands with insufficient time to meet the deadlines set, and wasn't flexible enough to change.

MB was flying the flag earlier bragging that Jacinta got involved and McGowan didn't even know the game was on. He was wrong, but made a point in a roundabout way. Robinson can pick up the phone and Jacinta is eager to get on the phone, it's like Draghi getting a phone call from the Pope. Rugby here is sport #4, we don't get our leaders dropping to their knees to solve our problems. We have multiple states, which also cause multiple problems.
Imagine quoting Muttonbirds to try and make a point?

If you can't get a detail like a PM's name right, how can you expect anyone to believe you're across anything else you're spouting?

Marinos was asked to commit to dates beyond the Perth game. I can understand why you might think that's 'unreasonable'... you hired Marinos, after all.
naki

Post by naki »

Also struggling to see this as any kind of "win" for NZR, other than the fact that it's a win for everyone as the rugby might (touch wood Queensland remains viable) actually go ahead.

Was it really worth further damaging relations with RA, and SANZAAR as a whole, by postponing travel by a week? Should have just jumped on the plane and let the chips fall where they may. That's what the Pumas did last year.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Zakar is still fighting the good fight I see :lol:

In the end, it’s worked out well and the ABs won’t be spending their time fiddling their thumbs after the Perth test. Robinson has won a remarkable victory* after defending doggedly for 79 minutes; he scored a breakaway try after Marinos caved and slipped on his own over-extended tongue. :o

*good that common sense prevailed
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

naki wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:00 am Also struggling to see this as any kind of "win" for NZR, other than the fact that it's a win for everyone as the rugby might (touch wood Queensland remains viable) actually go ahead.

Was it really worth further damaging relations with RA, and SANZAAR as a whole, by postponing travel by a week? Should have just jumped on the plane and let the chips fall where they may. That's what the Pumas did last year.
Pampered pussies.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:54 pm Image

Always hated that ad.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 am

Always hated that ad.
That ad couldn't be more Peak Kiwi though. :lol:
naki

Post by naki »

Thomas wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 am
mr bungle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 am

Always hated that ad.
Who would have thought that tapping into the contempt/insecurity combo that many New Zealanders have regarding Australia would be an effective marketing strategy
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:58 pm

If you can't get a detail like a PM's name right, how can you expect anyone to believe you're across anything else you're spouting?

Marinos was asked to commit to dates beyond the Perth game. I can understand why you might think that's 'unreasonable'... you hired Marinos, after all.
Well, he made a point for us when he was trying to make a point for NZ - so that tracks :lol:

TBH I can't keep up with how to spell these bogan names.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

naki wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:20 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 am
Who would have thought that tapping into the contempt/insecurity combo that many New Zealanders have regarding Australia would be an effective marketing strategy
Imagine the pitch meeting.

"Get this, right. Get this. We get two kids and pretend they are building stuff and they ask, stay with me here, they ask another kid...AND and the kid is wearing a Wallaby jersey which means he's Australian, right...and they ask the kid to help them and he doesn't want to and then the kids roll their eyes and go "Aussies, eh? No surprises there..."

"You're a genius, Jayden. You've done it again"
naki

Post by naki »

Your spelling of Jayden seems way too orthodox
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 am

Well, he made a point for us when he was trying to make a point for NZ - so that tracks :lol:

I hadn't heard anything about Ardern being involved with this latest shitfight at all so I don't know what he was on about. I googled it too... and came up with this story from last year telling us how NZ moved heaven and earth to allow Australia in to NZ to play some rugby despite hard lockdown measures at play...

some people just have short memories hey.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

naki wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:31 am Your spelling of Jayden seems way too orthodox
Ja'dyn

Jaiden

Jaidyn

Jadon

Jay-den

Jayay'dyn

There are so many possibilities.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 am

I hadn't heard anything about Ardern being involved with this latest shitfight at all so I don't know what he was on about. I googled it too... and came up with this story from last year telling us how NZ moved heaven and earth to allow Australia in to NZ to play some rugby despite hard lockdown measures at play...

some people just have short memories hey.
As I said, Draghi getting a call from the Pope.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Win for the good guys. The NZRUs latest attempt to cripple Australian rugby fails, with even their own media realising what a rotten and amoral bunch they are, the good and intelligent fans of Perth get to watch at least one team play some decent rugby, the Queenslanders come through to save the Rugby Championship, the New Zealand players have been promised they'll be home for Mum before it gets dark, and the private equity gremlins miss out.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dumbledore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:50 am Win for the good guys. The NZRUs latest attempt to cripple Australian rugby fails, with even their own media realising what a rotten and amoral bunch they are, the good and intelligent fans of Perth get to watch at least one team play some decent rugby, the Queenslanders come through to save the Rugby Championship, the New Zealand players have been promised they'll be home for Mum before it gets dark, and the private equity gremlins miss out.
You can't claim good guy status when you're led by Darth Marinos.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

UncleFB wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:32 am
Dumbledore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:50 am Win for the good guys. The NZRUs latest attempt to cripple Australian rugby fails, with even their own media realising what a rotten and amoral bunch they are, the good and intelligent fans of Perth get to watch at least one team play some decent rugby, the Queenslanders come through to save the Rugby Championship, the New Zealand players have been promised they'll be home for Mum before it gets dark, and the private equity gremlins miss out.
You can't claim good guy status when you're led by Darth Marinos.
Not good guy; rather, lesser of two etc.