mabunch78

Re: Aussie underworld f*cked

Post by mabunch78 »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:26 pm
towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:23 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:20 pm
towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:15 pm

How do they use smartphones as listening devices?

They load the computer device which has a large microphone with technology that broadcasts.
Where is it loaded? Is it an app, malware or something?
Malware. It’s not like the “fitness” app you use to prove you’ve been out for a run to the misses.

The varying levels of tech known are years behind what’s being used. You’re right though about this recent thing, though the clever thing was getting it used.
Malware makes sense. If I was a crim, I’d using pigeons and invisible ink.
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm
towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Harveys wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:52 am

It would have come out in the trial.

This is nothing new, phones and communication lines have always been an issue with crims, what’s staggering is how far the stupidity reached in this instance.
This is very new. The cops didn’t bug phones or have a wire tap - you can’t do that with the tech the crims are using.

What the cops did was very clever.

Bugs are old school, cops here are able to track at all times and use smartphones as listening devices. You won’t find a serious crim here now comfortable around smart phones at all,

They load the computer device which has a large microphone with technology that broadcasts.

There’s been a couple of murder cases here recently where phones collected and stored before crimes have been proved to have all been together (in a rugby club house in one case) even though they’ve been switched off. (Phones also are passive receivers).
Sounds like a scene from Line of Duty

I can just hear Superintendent Hastings

“Slide 6 - evidence that these phones were stored together. What have you to say for yourself fella?”
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The phones weren't bugged or had listening devices on them. They were bricked phones and the only app on them was the Anom app...which basically sent all the text messages to the cops.

The phones couldn't be used to make calls, only text messages and only using that app (they couldn't install anything else on them or register them on a network for calls). And you could only get one from someone who knew how to get one. It spread organically...just amazing stuff.

Cops reckon they weren't even using code. Nothing like that. It was all "Hey, got a kilo of coke coming in...do you want to buy it? Also, we should murder that other guy..."
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:23 pm Where is it loaded? Is it an app, malware or something?
In this case the cops "released" a phone into the underworld via a few intermediaries. It was a stock standard smart phone that had been wiped and only had one app on it. It was "marketed" as a perfect communication device. Unable to be registered to a phone network or use other apps. The only way you could get one is to get one off another crook. Cops just handing them out at one point.

After that, word got around that this shit was tight and all the crims wanted one. Cops just sat back and watched the messages roll in.

That's why old mate Muscle Tits is in big trouble. He's the guy who told everyone to use the phones.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

shanky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 am
bimboman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm
towny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:39 pm

This is very new. The cops didn’t bug phones or have a wire tap - you can’t do that with the tech the crims are using.

What the cops did was very clever.

Bugs are old school, cops here are able to track at all times and use smartphones as listening devices. You won’t find a serious crim here now comfortable around smart phones at all,

There’s been a couple of murder cases here recently where phones collected and stored before crimes have been proved to have all been together (in a rugby club house in one case) even though they’ve been switched off. (Phones also are passive receivers).
Sounds like a scene from Line of Duty

I can just hear Superintendent Hastings

“Slide 6 - evidence that these phones were stored together. What have you to say for yourself fella?”
:lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

:lol:

I've also heard they have used these phones to catch BENT COPPERS.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Edit

Sorry jamby, that pic didn’t show up when I posted the same thing. Edited now. :thumbup:
Last edited by shanky on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Anyone else quietly wish Ted Hastings was their dad?

:uhoh:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:10 am :lol:

I've also heard they have used these phones to catch BENT COPPERS.
Here, we follow the LETTER of the law, son. The letter
If I find out one of my officers is bent, I'd throw the book at them, followed by the bookSHELF
shanky

Post by shanky »

Can’t imagine him doing the durty with that bent lawyer lady then wiping his dick on the curtains.

Not his style at all.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

He's a married man! They made vows.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m conflicted though, because he basically got that bloke killed

How can I reconcile these feelings?

:(