The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm
irishrugbyua wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:49 pm
camroc1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:48 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm Big push on BT Sport for Paddy Jackson to be included in the Irish squad.
He has had a great season and as Ugo points out he is the best Irish team by form this season.
Is there any way back?
It's shite English rugby.

By how much, do you reckon, Leinster with Ross Byrne at 10, would beat LI by ? 15 - 20 points ?
More.

The premiership is laughably overrated by BT, watched some of Bath against Bristol. :lol:

Exeter are quality though.
That's awful logic

Presumably Leinster with Ross Byrne would beat Leicester with George Ford too, who's probably the best 10 in Europe for my money, and the Lions test starter. Does that make Byrne better?
What?
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:52 pm
DOB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:46 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm Big push on BT Sport for Paddy Jackson to be included in the Irish squad.
He has had a great season and as Ugo points out he is the best Irish team by form this season.
Is there any way back?
We've fallen into this "he's playing great in England" trap before (Murphy, G; O'Connor, J) and it's never worked out well. Basically, 1, he'd have to come back to Ulster and 2, it's not clear if he'll ever be allowed back to Ulster.
There may be a bit of that but tbh, he has been class this season.
That said a 19 year old Welsh kid looked the dogs bollocks for Bristol at 10 at the weekend and he can't make the Wales squad.

I suspect Jackson is too toxic and the IRFU would not want the adverse publicity
Far too toxic
The IRFU much prefer to throw their lot in with the guys behind Grenfell
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 43344
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by camroc1 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm The old "I'll pretend I wasn't being serious" gambit, I like it
More the Jackson looking an absolute world beater in the English league shouldn't be a surprise given its weakness.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22086
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by sewa »

camroc1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm The old "I'll pretend I wasn't being serious" gambit, I like it
More the Jackson looking an absolute world beater in the English league shouldn't be a surprise given its weakness.
Jackson did look really good but Bryan Byrne is probably more of a loss.
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Would Byrne have improved his throwing in Ireland? Nope.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Winnie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:02 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:52 pm
DOB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:46 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm Big push on BT Sport for Paddy Jackson to be included in the Irish squad.
He has had a great season and as Ugo points out he is the best Irish team by form this season.
Is there any way back?
We've fallen into this "he's playing great in England" trap before (Murphy, G; O'Connor, J) and it's never worked out well. Basically, 1, he'd have to come back to Ulster and 2, it's not clear if he'll ever be allowed back to Ulster.
There may be a bit of that but tbh, he has been class this season.
That said a 19 year old Welsh kid looked the dogs bollocks for Bristol at 10 at the weekend and he can't make the Wales squad.

I suspect Jackson is too toxic and the IRFU would not want the adverse publicity
Far too toxic
The IRFU much prefer to throw their lot in with the guys behind Grenfell
That was the IRFU's doing, was it? :lol:
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:16 pm
Winnie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:02 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:52 pm
DOB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:46 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm Big push on BT Sport for Paddy Jackson to be included in the Irish squad.
He has had a great season and as Ugo points out he is the best Irish team by form this season.
Is there any way back?
We've fallen into this "he's playing great in England" trap before (Murphy, G; O'Connor, J) and it's never worked out well. Basically, 1, he'd have to come back to Ulster and 2, it's not clear if he'll ever be allowed back to Ulster.
There may be a bit of that but tbh, he has been class this season.
That said a 19 year old Welsh kid looked the dogs bollocks for Bristol at 10 at the weekend and he can't make the Wales squad.

I suspect Jackson is too toxic and the IRFU would not want the adverse publicity
Far too toxic
The IRFU much prefer to throw their lot in with the guys behind Grenfell
That was the IRFU's doing, was it? :lol:
Well they were quick to rip up contracts of others
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63156
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

I see everyone has been working on their positivity. :thumbup:
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

CM11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 pm I see everyone has been working on their positivity. :thumbup:
:lol: :lol:
I’ve been using you quote
I’m behind your campaign all the way
Ulsters Red Hand
Posts: 11626
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

camroc1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm The old "I'll pretend I wasn't being serious" gambit, I like it
More the Jackson looking an absolute world beater in the English league shouldn't be a surprise given its weakness.
Doesn't mean you can discredit his performances. Lots of top players may look world beaters in that league, probably because they are very good
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 21690
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

What cünt brought up Jackson?
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 pm
camroc1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm The old "I'll pretend I wasn't being serious" gambit, I like it
More the Jackson looking an absolute world beater in the English league shouldn't be a surprise given its weakness.
Doesn't mean you can discredit his performances. Lots of top players may look world beaters in that league, probably because they are very good
It's not discrediting his LI performances to say that those performances, on their own, should not be taken as evidence that he is Ireland's best form 10. We'd be saying the same if the English press was calling B Byrne or Zebo the best in their position in Europe. We've said the same in the past when Geordan Murphy was the bees knees for Tiggers. Eoin Reddan won the Heineken Cup with Wasps, but had to move to Leinster to get a shot for Ireland.

When was Jackson's last game for Ulster? Did he (or Olding) play at all in the 2017/18 season after charges were brought?
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 am What cünt brought up Jackson?
The Welsh.
rialtoblue
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by rialtoblue »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 am What cünt brought up Jackson?
Agent provocateur
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19423
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

redderneck wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm
paddyor wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm MacCarthy back to Leinster? Bit of a disaster for the ""we need to spread the Leinster talent around" agenda you'd have to say. It's hugely underaprreciated how much of the risk is on the player
Leaving aside the inevitable Cooney is the real disaster which has already been knee-jerked I see, steady on a bit with the hyperbole. Where Nick MacCarthy plays his rugby, or not, is not in any shape manner or form, a disaster. Accept fully the nature of your argument and the last point especially (personal risk). But can we tone shit down or we've nowhere left to go with the melodrama!!!
I don't mean Ireland chances, I mean just a career. It's not hyperbole, it's a just a fact of life. Not everyone who moved/moves will find it works for them and this is another reminder of that in the face of what seems boundless optimism in the media about that project. More than 1 reason it didn't work for MacCarthy or was doomed to failure. The big reason I suppose is Casey(who just made an Ireland squad).
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

paddyor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am
redderneck wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm
paddyor wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm MacCarthy back to Leinster? Bit of a disaster for the ""we need to spread the Leinster talent around" agenda you'd have to say. It's hugely underaprreciated how much of the risk is on the player
Leaving aside the inevitable Cooney is the real disaster which has already been knee-jerked I see, steady on a bit with the hyperbole. Where Nick MacCarthy plays his rugby, or not, is not in any shape manner or form, a disaster. Accept fully the nature of your argument and the last point especially (personal risk). But can we tone shit down or we've nowhere left to go with the melodrama!!!
I don't mean Ireland chances, I mean just a career. It's not hyperbole, it's a just a fact of life. Not everyone who moved/moves will find it works for them and this is another reminder of that in the face of what seems boundless optimism in the media about that project. More than 1 reason it didn't work for MacCarthy or was doomed to failure. The big reason I suppose is Casey(who just made an Ireland squad).
Someone already said above that at least part of McCarthy's move was for study reasons.

He left Leinster as, at best, 3rd choice 9. He's currently, at best, 3rd choice at Munster. When he gets back to Leinster, he'll be 3rd choice, at best. He's relying on people ahead of him getting injuries/Ireland caps to get games himself, and it'd be no different if he went to Ulster or Connacht. His move doesn't say any more about "spreading the talent around" than James Tracy getting 100 caps for Leinster does.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19423
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by paddyor »

DOB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 am
paddyor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am
redderneck wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm
paddyor wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm MacCarthy back to Leinster? Bit of a disaster for the ""we need to spread the Leinster talent around" agenda you'd have to say. It's hugely underaprreciated how much of the risk is on the player
Leaving aside the inevitable Cooney is the real disaster which has already been knee-jerked I see, steady on a bit with the hyperbole. Where Nick MacCarthy plays his rugby, or not, is not in any shape manner or form, a disaster. Accept fully the nature of your argument and the last point especially (personal risk). But can we tone shit down or we've nowhere left to go with the melodrama!!!
I don't mean Ireland chances, I mean just a career. It's not hyperbole, it's a just a fact of life. Not everyone who moved/moves will find it works for them and this is another reminder of that in the face of what seems boundless optimism in the media about that project. More than 1 reason it didn't work for MacCarthy or was doomed to failure. The big reason I suppose is Casey(who just made an Ireland squad).
Someone already said above that at least part of McCarthy's move was for study reasons.

He left Leinster as, at best, 3rd choice 9. He's currently, at best, 3rd choice at Munster. When he gets back to Leinster, he'll be 3rd choice, at best. He's relying on people ahead of him getting injuries/Ireland caps to get games himself, and it'd be no different if he went to Ulster or Connacht. His move doesn't say any more about "spreading the talent around" than James Tracy getting 100 caps for Leinster does.
Exactly. His prospects haven't improved at all after the move. So he'd have been as well staying put.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

paddyor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:34 am Exactly. His prospects haven't improved at all after the move. So he'd have been as well staying put.
But a) it wasn't just for rugby reasons and b) he might as well have had a go.

It hasn't actively hurt his career, so what's the problem?
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7495
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Conspicuous »

paddyor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:34 am
DOB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 am
paddyor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 am
redderneck wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 pm
paddyor wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm MacCarthy back to Leinster? Bit of a disaster for the ""we need to spread the Leinster talent around" agenda you'd have to say. It's hugely underaprreciated how much of the risk is on the player
Leaving aside the inevitable Cooney is the real disaster which has already been knee-jerked I see, steady on a bit with the hyperbole. Where Nick MacCarthy plays his rugby, or not, is not in any shape manner or form, a disaster. Accept fully the nature of your argument and the last point especially (personal risk). But can we tone shit down or we've nowhere left to go with the melodrama!!!
I don't mean Ireland chances, I mean just a career. It's not hyperbole, it's a just a fact of life. Not everyone who moved/moves will find it works for them and this is another reminder of that in the face of what seems boundless optimism in the media about that project. More than 1 reason it didn't work for MacCarthy or was doomed to failure. The big reason I suppose is Casey(who just made an Ireland squad).
Someone already said above that at least part of McCarthy's move was for study reasons.

He left Leinster as, at best, 3rd choice 9. He's currently, at best, 3rd choice at Munster. When he gets back to Leinster, he'll be 3rd choice, at best. He's relying on people ahead of him getting injuries/Ireland caps to get games himself, and it'd be no different if he went to Ulster or Connacht. His move doesn't say any more about "spreading the talent around" than James Tracy getting 100 caps for Leinster does.
Exactly. His prospects haven't improved at all after the move. So he'd have been as well staying put.
I’d just like to know what your solution is to the excess of supply over demand at Leinster ? Obviously every player coming through the academy can’t stay long term given current volume. I’m sure even Nucifora knows that every player transfer won’t go perfectly so it’s hardly a “disaster” that McCarthy didn’t break into the matchday squad . It’s not even a good example of the system failing if that’s what you’re trying to do because he was partly down there for academic reasons, and no further down the pecking order than he would have been at Leinster
Last edited by Conspicuous on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Possible leinster backline for next game away to Dragons?

9. Luke Mc
10. Harry Byrne
11. Dave Kearney
12. Ciaran Frawley
13. David Hawkshaw
14. Cian Kelleher
15. Jamie Osborne
User avatar
danthefan
Posts: 23553
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by danthefan »

There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
User avatar
HighKingLeinster
Posts: 22442
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by HighKingLeinster »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
Yup. A cut price option. Hopefully it pays off but learning your trade coaching a national side is a huge risk
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7495
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Conspicuous »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 am Possible leinster backline for next game away to Dragons?

9. Luke Mc
10. Harry Byrne
11. Dave Kearney
12. Ciaran Frawley
13. David Hawkshaw
14. Cian Kelleher
15. Jamie Osborne
I’d go with

12.Frawley
13.Osbourne
15.MOR
22.Hawkshaw

Give Hawkshaw 25-30 with Osbourne assuming everything is going ok. From what I’ve seen so far (not much tbf so I could be totally wrong) Hawkshaw looks every inch a 12 and Osbourne a 13
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 19321
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
Yup. A cut price option. Hopefully it pays off but learning your trade coaching a national side is a huge risk
He will fit in nicely with a cut price head coach learning his trade coaching a national side.

:lol:

Not sure about the optimism aside from POC being a ligind but I hope it does go well for him and he brings up the standard around him.
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 19321
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Flametop »

If all the players from that generation that I’d like to see coaching Ireland, the obvious candidate would be BOD.
He has been clever enough in ways that he is doing ok with his other business interests that he doesn’t need a coaching gig as a job, with all the stress and 9-5 and travel (away from young family) that it entails.
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Conspicuous wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:30 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 am Possible leinster backline for next game away to Dragons?

9. Luke Mc
10. Harry Byrne
11. Dave Kearney
12. Ciaran Frawley
13. David Hawkshaw
14. Cian Kelleher
15. Jamie Osborne
I’d go with

12.Frawley
13.Osbourne
15.MOR
22.Hawkshaw

Give Hawkshaw 25-30 with Osbourne assuming everything is going ok. From what I’ve seen so far (not much tbf so I could be totally wrong) Hawkshaw looks every inch a 12 and Osbourne a 13
your lineup is probably more likely.. hopefully TOB will be back though and can slot into 13.
User avatar
hermie
Posts: 10594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by hermie »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 am Possible leinster backline for next game away to Dragons?

9. Luke Mc
10. Harry Byrne
11. Dave Kearney
12. Ciaran Frawley
13. David Hawkshaw
14. Cian Kelleher
15. Jamie Osborne
I suppose they played Ross Byrne at 13 recently so why not Hawkshaw, who would be a marginally more natural fit. Is Turner definitely out? If so I suppose whoever it is will be pretty green in the position. Could also finally try Frawley at 15 (I know, I know) and Hawkshaw at 12 with Osborne 13.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 52821
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by earl the beaver »

Flametop wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:48 am If all the players from that generation that I’d like to see coaching Ireland, the obvious candidate would be BOD.
He has been clever enough in ways that he is doing ok with his other business interests that he doesn’t need a coaching gig as a job, with all the stress and 9-5 and travel (away from young family) that it entails.
Didn't he say he's not remotely interested in coaching too?
User avatar
Luckycharmer
Posts: 9226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Luckycharmer »

irishrugbyua wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 pm Hawkshaw in space looks pretty good.

Osborne's performance was very encouraging too given his youth, inexperience and time on the field.
Only realised I actually know Osbornes dad who is a very big in Bective, I think nearly every game I played against Bective he always seemed to be playing. Wouldn't be surprised if still playing Vets full contact, he was a backrow for them so that is where he gets his size. One of the nicest lads I played against so that is where he gets his size from, hopefully he is a little bit quicker :P
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Luckycharmer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:26 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 pm Hawkshaw in space looks pretty good.

Osborne's performance was very encouraging too given his youth, inexperience and time on the field.
Only realised I actually know Osbornes dad who is a very big in Bective, I think nearly every game I played against Bective he always seemed to be playing. Wouldn't be surprised if still playing Vets full contact, he was a backrow for them so that is where he gets his size. One of the nicest lads I played against so that is where he gets his size from, hopefully he is a little bit quicker :P
Osborne has a younger brother, Andrew, who is a very good u18 prospect too. 13/15 also.
User avatar
hermie
Posts: 10594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by hermie »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
This is it. Obviously a figure of huge stature in Irish rugby, rightly so. But a great player does not equal a great coach. There's not been one dissenting voice in the media anywhere. Where as the vast majority of norms you'd talk to about it are at least skeptical. Hopefully it works out but it's a bit of a hit and hope.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Winnie »

Flametop wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 am
HighKingLeinster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
Yup. A cut price option. Hopefully it pays off but learning your trade coaching a national side is a huge risk
He will fit in nicely with a cut price head coach learning his trade coaching a national side.

:lol:

Not sure about the optimism aside from POC being a ligind but I hope it does go well for him and he brings up the standard around him.
You don’t need skills when you being the pashion
de_Selby
Posts: 4198
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by de_Selby »

hermie wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am
danthefan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am There's a great big fluff piece on POC (the coach) in the IT today, obviously I hope it works out but I'm really sceptical I must say, he just has no pedigree as a coach so I dunno where the optimism over him is coming from.
tis blind optimism because of who he is.
This is it. Obviously a figure of huge stature in Irish rugby, rightly so. But a great player does not equal a great coach. There's not been one dissenting voice in the media anywhere. Where as the vast majority of norms you'd talk to about it are at least skeptical. Hopefully it works out but it's a bit of a hit and hope.
Obviously the piece is a bit premature and we are just hoping at this stage, but POC seems to be an intelligent and hardworking guy and the lineout was a bit focus of his game so it has a decent chance of working out imo.

Usually when you have players not translating to coaching it's those who are creatively gifted and can't necessarily explain how they did what they did on the pitch. I don't think POC is in that category.
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Top young Tightheads in irish rugby, 23 and under:

1. Tom O'Toole(22/Ulster)
2. Jack Aungier(22/Connacht)
3. Keynan Knox(21/Munster)
4. Roman Salanoa(23/Munster)
5. Tom Clarkson(20/Leinster)

A mixture of power athletes with work to do in the scrum: TOT & Salanoa. Strong scrummagers but not notably big power athletes in the loose(Aungier & Clarkson) and a mix of both(Knox)

Notably that three of the 5 have been brought in from abroad and the other two are from Leinster.

Other young tightheads contracted by the provinces:

Greg McGrath(23/Leinster)
James French(22/Munster)
quarter2four
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by quarter2four »

What genius came up with the idea to have three of Ireland's game on a Sunday? Would book a couple of Monday's off but I'm low on holidays.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 52821
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by earl the beaver »

TOT was really strong in the scrum the back end of last season, wasn't really a drop from Marty at all but hasn't been as strong since coming back from injury.
User avatar
Luckycharmer
Posts: 9226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Luckycharmer »

irishrugbyua wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 am
Luckycharmer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:26 am
irishrugbyua wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 pm Hawkshaw in space looks pretty good.

Osborne's performance was very encouraging too given his youth, inexperience and time on the field.
Only realised I actually know Osbornes dad who is a very big in Bective, I think nearly every game I played against Bective he always seemed to be playing. Wouldn't be surprised if still playing Vets full contact, he was a backrow for them so that is where he gets his size. One of the nicest lads I played against so that is where he gets his size from, hopefully he is a little bit quicker :P
Osborne has a younger brother, Andrew, who is a very good u18 prospect too. 13/15 also.
I think he has 4 boys and would def have been playing rugby since minis it was the Naas bit that caught me out.
User avatar
hermie
Posts: 10594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by hermie »

earl the beaver wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm TOT was really strong in the scrum the back end of last season, wasn't really a drop from Marty at all but hasn't been as strong since coming back from injury.
Yeah I remember him being fairly decent in the scrum which is why Jackman's recent comments were a bit of a surprise. What was his injury again?
irishrugbyua
Posts: 15958
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by irishrugbyua »

Top young looseheads in irish rugby(23 and under)

1. Josh Wycherley(21/Munster)
2. Michael Milne(21/Leinster)
3. Callum Reid(22/Ulster)
4. Jordan Duggan(23/Connacht)
5. Marcus Hanan(20/Leinster)

Wycherley is the best scrummager, while Milne is the best heavy carrier and Reid the most athletic. Both Milne and Reid are works in progress in the scrum. Duggan has bounced back well from an ACL and Hanan did well to earn a leinster academy contract after his u20 season was cut short.

Other contracted young looseheads:
Charlie Ward(21/Connacht)

Top underage
1. Jack Boyle(U19/Leinster)
2. Mark Donnelly(U20/Munster)
3. George Saunderson(U20/Ulster)
4. Hugo O'Malley(U20/Leinster)
5. Aaron Rowan(U19/Leinster)
Post Reply